needing to purchase car seat...

bunny213

DIS Veteran
I need to order my daughter a car seat..she is due any day now and I don't believe they will let her leaving the hospital without having one.
Does anyone know of any good deals out there? If I order from Walmart or Toysrus...she can pick it up at the store..(I'm 1100 miles away) or maybe there's a deal out there for free shipping. Thank you so much for any help you can send my way. She cannot afford to buy one from Craigslist...there's just no money right now. barb

Honestly, a car seat is one place where you do not want to skimp. It is an investment in your child (grandchild)'s safety.

There are many types/styles, etc. Sometimes what fits well in one kind of car does not work so great in a different type of car/SUV.

Another thing to keep in mind, car seats do have expiration dates (used to be 5 years) due to hard plastic in extreme weather situations. Many car seats have "recalls" for easy fixes so when buying a used car seat you do not know for sure if recall has been issued or if anything was fixed. It is said that the integrity of a car seat may not be the same after a car accident (not fender bender), so again you may not know the truth if purchasing a used car seat.

The best thing in a perfect world is to purchase the best quality, with the best reviews and desired features that you can afford at the time.

edited to add: After 5 kids, one brand that I have seen the MOST recalls and bad reviews about concerning everything from car seats, highchairs, cribs and strollers is Cosco. It is a popular, lesser expensive brand, BUT we have stayed away from that brand for any and everything.
(when you breat it down it comes to pennies per time used.....a $100 car seat used for 6 months = 28cents per day)

Good luck and best wishes on the birth of your new grandbaby!

If you know which hospital your DD will deliver, call them. They may have free infant seats to give away. Our hospitals do. Just a thought.

Then, when you have more time, you can send her a carseat that will last for several years.

Do you live near Target? Their baby clearance is going on right now. I got a Graco stroller/car seat combo for $90 and a convertible car seat for just over $40--they were 50% off.

You want a Chicco car seat if you want one you can carry or a britax for one that stays in the car. The Chicco runs 190 regular price and the britax around 220. It's worth the money! I had a cheap graco for my first and I feel like such a bad mom now that I know better and my sons seats are just so much nicer and feel so much safer and more comfortable then the cheaper models I bought my daughter because I didn't know better. Even my husband feels the same and hes super super cheap!

Do some research....check you budget and make a choice. The graco seats are perfectly safe and a good medium budget choice. We have done graco across the board and been happy with our choices. At this point I would just make a trip to target or babies are us and see what they have that you like and is in your budget. All seats meet certain safety requirement and other do have added features, some for safety and other for comfort and visual appeal. I would never buy a used seat or accept a hand me down unless you absolutely know the history and age, just not safe.

You want a Chicco car seat if you want one you can carry or a britax for one that stays in the car. The Chicco runs 190 regular price and the britax around 220. It's worth the money! I had a cheap graco for my first and I feel like such a bad mom now that I know better and my sons seats are just so much nicer and feel so much safer and more comfortable then the cheaper models I bought my daughter because I didn't know better. Even my husband feels the same and hes super super cheap!
:confused3:confused3:confused3

The only seats out there that don't "work" and "aren't safe" are the ones that the kids don't use or aren't installed properly. I really hate these post as they imply anyone that doesn't use the most expensive seats are somehow inferior parents. :sad2: The only deaths or major injuries my DH has seen with kids in ANY type of carseats are the ones where the parents "didn't have time" to buckle/latch the seat into the car. (Babies in carseat buckets flying out of car windows traumatizes not only the stupid parents, but also emergency working scouring the field and road looking for them.)

To the OP - find a new carseat from any bigbox store that either delivers or can easily be picked up at the store. Graco is a great seat, although not as luxurious as many others. You are a terrific grandma for purchasing such a thoughtful gift!:thumbsup2

Mom of 4 chiming in here ( I REALLY need to change my username! ;) )

I agree with riley2008...any new carseat will be just fine! :thumbsup2 They all have to pass safety guidelines. I've used anything from Cosco to Britax with my kids depending on what was available and I could afford at the time. My kids are spaced so far apart that I had to buy new infant, then convertible, then booster seats for each one...times 2 cars! I feel VERY comfortable with the choices I've made over the years with the carseats I've purchased regardless of price! The main thing is making sure it's installed correctly. I get them checked out by an official carseat safety inspector..and never once have they said a word about my $40 carseat vs. my $300 carseat!

I personally like Graco the best for infant seats. You could order from Walmart and have it delivered to her house within a day or 2. How wonderful for you to do this for her!! :goodvibes

Please mind I mean IF you can afford it. Just the extra convenience features alone are worth the price. Not having to retread the harness straps etc. also a good britax can be used from birth to age 5 or 6 depending on experation so depending it can save money in the long run because you purchase fewer seats. And yes they are safer. Something is always better than nothing but a roll over crash in a dodge neon will be much worse than one in a ford truck. A nasty accident in a cheaper seat can make a difference.

Are you purchasing an infant seat or convertible? The infant (bucket) type seat is the type she'll probably want in the beginning. There are some that go up to 30 lbs, but honestly the darn thing gets so heavy by 20 lbs I would get the basic Graco seat for the beginning.

Once the baby is a bit older I would get a Britax Marathon or a Cosco Scenera if you are looking for something on the light budget side. The Marathon will get you up to 55 lbs (unless the child is tall like my older DD who outgrew by height first.) Then you can get into the harness/booster combos-but you have a while to go before you get to those.

If you aren't able to order it for immediate in-store pick up (which I think Toys/Babies R Us offers, Walmart I don't think does) I recommend ordering from amazon. You can join amazon moms. It is a free membership and will give you a free trial for amazon prime. With amazon prime you get free 2 day shipping, and honestly often times my stuff comes overnight. If you want guaranteed overnight you can pay 2.99 for overnight.

When the prime free trial is up you don't have to do anything to cancel, it is just done.

Car seat prices are very competitive on amazon. We had the Chicco good for up to 22 lbs, and I loved it. Very easy to use. My sister had the Evenflo Embrace and it stuck out a bit more and made it so the front seat had to be pushed all the way to the front because it stuck out so far (in both her Nissan Versa and my Hyundai Sonata).

ANY new car seat is safe. they all have to meet the SAME safety standards. There is no need to spend $200+ to get one with all the bells and whistles if that is just not in the buget. All it really does is help you feel better about yourself. It doesn't really make your kid any safer.

Are you purchasing an infant seat or convertible? The infant (bucket) type seat is the type she'll probably want in the beginning. There are some that go up to 30 lbs, but honestly the darn thing gets so heavy by 20 lbs I would get the basic Graco seat for the beginning...

These posts make me laugh, just cause a bucket seat can be taken out of the car doesn't mean it has to - once baby is heavier but still within the seat's limits - leave the bucket in the car. Babies really shouldn't spend much time in their carseat - it's for the car, not the house, cart, stroller - you've seen those babies wearing "helmets" well that's cause most of them spent to much time in their bucket...

If you purchase a bucket *they are nice for the 1st 6 months or more* get one with a front harness adjuster *little strap between babies feet, most Walmart seats don't have that, I agree with the amazon suggestion.

Here's a couple ~ http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Co...=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1327076413&sr=1-26
http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Trend-Fl...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
http://www.amazon.com/Mia-Moda-Cert...=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1327076555&sr=1-32
http://www.amazon.com/Evenflo-Seren...=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1327076637&sr=1-41
http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-OnBoard-Infant-Regal/dp/B004EBUXA8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top *that one holds up to 35 lbs!

These posts make me laugh, just cause a bucket seat can be taken out of the car doesn't mean it has to - once baby is heavier but still within the seat's limits - leave the bucket in the car. Babies really shouldn't spend much time in their carseat - it's for the car, not the house, cart, stroller - you've seen those babies wearing "helmets" well that's cause most of them spent to much time in their bucket...
Actually it's the whole back to sleep (placing a baby on his or her back only when they are sleeping) that is increasing the helmet thing.
Op I would look at a convertible car seat. We have an evenflow in dh's car. It's our secondary seat. It had excellent safety reviews and was under $100. It goes from 5 to 40 pounds.
Good luck!

Actually it's the whole back to sleep (placing a baby on his or her back only when they are sleeping) that is increasing the helmet thing.
Op I would look at a convertible car seat. We have an evenflow in dh's car. It's our secondary seat. It had excellent safety reviews and was under $100. It goes from 5 to 40 pounds.
Good luck!

Yes that too ~ but some little ones spend way too much time in their seats, my kids were back sleeping babies and had lovely round noggins :)

I need to order my daughter a car seat..she is due any day now and I don't believe they will let her leaving the hospital without having one.
Does anyone know of any good deals out there? If I order from Walmart or Toysrus...she can pick it up at the store..(I'm 1100 miles away) or maybe there's a deal out there for free shipping. Thank you so much for any help you can send my way. She cannot afford to buy one from Craigslist...there's just no money right now. barb

Sorry to hijack, I am a soon to be GREAT Grandmother who is also in the market for a car seat for my Granddaughter's baby boy. I am really out of touch with what is available. I go shopping and my mind just spins. What about these car seat systems that you can buy different bases for so that you can put the seat in different cars? You can even buy a stroller that the seat fits into. They look really convenient. Opinions?

Sorry to hijack, I am a soon to be GREAT Grandmother who is also in the market for a car seat for my Granddaughter's baby boy. I am really out of touch with what is available. I go shopping and my mind just spins. What about these car seat systems that you can buy different bases for so that you can put the seat in different cars? You can even buy a stroller that the seat fits into. They look really convenient. Opinions?

We had one infant seat for our daughter with an extra base so we could snap it into DH's car. We also had a stroller frame that the car seat fit on, was the best $60 we spent. Our DD was born in Nov and we live in New England, much easier keeping her bundled in the infant seat and using it in the stroller frame!

There is a car seat message board that may be helpful.

http://www.car-seat.org/

I have gotten advice on how a seat fits in a specific car, some seats fit better that others.

We used a Graco Snugride travel system as an infant carrier, and now we have used Britax Boulevard and Frontier and have been very happy. My recomendation is to invest more in the convertible seat, the child will spend a couple of years in it. You want a seat with a good weight rating for both rear and front facing, it is recomended that children remain rear facing until 2 years of ages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter