Needing a post Christmas getaway - any suggestions in the Northeast

amsafko

DIS Veteran
I would LOVE to go to Disney but we are saving up for a massive trip to Paris and Ireland next summer. I am the type of person who absolutely craves travel. So, we are in Southern NJ, do any of you have any good suggestions for places that aren't too outrageously priced for a few nights away - that would be fun for the kids, age 9, 6, and 4, too. I should mention, we aren't that into being in the snow a lot so skiing isn't appealing. The kids do love ice skating. We are looking at the week between Christmas and New Year's (yes, I know, the most expensive time to travel).

Thanks for any suggestions.

There is CoCoKey in Boston ~ indoor water park and you could travel into Boston for the Science Museum and the Aquarium.

Of course there is one of those in NJ too...

Thanks for the ideas so far. Funny that you mention Coco Key, it is literally 10 minutes from our house, as well as another indoor water park - we've been to them a lot so I don't know if it would be what we'd want but I do love the idea of Boston. Went there years ago without kids, would be fun to see it with them, same with the inner harbor as a matter of fact....keep the suggestions coming though.

We live 20min south of Boston and there is a ton to do! There is outdoor skating rink (Frog Pond in Boston Common) and I know a few hotels have rinks too. Science museum w/ imax theatre, aquarium, children's museum, Fanuiel hall for shopping/food.....lots to do!

Grand Casacades Lodge in Vernon NJ..... absolutely beautiful..
here is a few pics

biodome pool is amazing

5.jpg

C169_C2982_BiosNite.jpg

44.jpg

Lake George, NY has a huge hotel that is connected to an indoor water park, I think it is called Six Flags. Also, fantastic factory outlets.

Lake Placid, NY. Near Lake George but has some extra neat stuff because it was where the Olympics were held. You can ride the bobsleds and fun stuff like that.

I am not sure if they started it yet but my girls love going up to North Conway, NH to go snow tubing. We don't ski but we did this the last 2 years for a long Valentine's weekend. The town is not very large but they do have outlets nearby and we can spend hours shopping in our favorite store there in the center or town called Zeb's. They have an old fashioned candy store with all those plast from the past candies. Plenty of restaurants around to. And hotels for every budget. There is a place about 10 minutes away called Nestlenook Farms that has ice skating and sleigh rides. They have warming huts and hot chocolate. Seeing how we normally go in February the season is in full swing then but I do not know when it starts. We usually go to Cranmore Mountain for snow tubing which even I enjoy!

We are not sure if we are going yet this year, we spent way too much money on our trip to Disney last month. Added a vow renewal to our cruise 2 weeks before we left.

Hampton Roads area of VA-there is a LOT to do here. In addition to Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown we have the Mariners Museum, which has the Monitor (and they have just pulled the engine out of the stabilizing mix and are cleaning it), Virginia Air and Space, The Army Transportation Museum, Virgina Living Museum, Wolf Lodge, The Christmas Special Events at Busch Gardens...there is no way to get bored around here, and most stuff isn't that expensive. (unless you try to do it all!)

We go every other year in the fall but there is a ton of indoor stuff to do including indoor pool/splash area. The meal plan serves 3 LARGE meals a day or you can rent one of the villas and cook on your own. They have tons of family activities all day and night. Very very family friendly...My kids think its better than disney! BUT it is not cheap!

Hey there, we are from the Williamstown NJ area, and we love to go to Mystic CT when we want to get away for a few days. We also love NYC, so much to do and see!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter