Needed: Top Secret Blister Prevention Methods

Lizzybee

Perpetually Earning my Ears
Ok or not secret...what do you do?
I'm only bringing broken in comfy shoes...what other tips are there for preventing blisters? I know I read something about spraying something on feet but I just don't know what the "spray" was... :confused3

Any tips to keep feet happy and peppy at WDW???? TIA :dancer: (I want to be able to dance like him at the end of the day at the parks ;) jk)

• Put deodorent on feet
  • Soak your feet in warm water after walking
  • Put heavy moisturizer or vasuline on feet with socks at bedtime to lubricate
  • Never wear the same shoes/sandals day after day

I learned from these boards to spray aerosol deodorant on the feet before putting socks on. I got very few blisters, while my husband, who refused to try this, got more than I did. Another idea is to wear two pairs of socks (cotton). That way the socks rub against each other instead of against your skin. My only other advice is to take the self-stick moleskin and scissors and make customized padding for each blister as they occur so that you can keep walking.

Someone on these boards mentioned Cool Max socks (got mine from Target) and I tried them out in May. I was amazed at how much better my feet did than when wearing cotton socks. They are smooth and don't create the friction that cotton socks do. I usually would have blisters galore and I didn't get any.

I also agree about taking an extra pair of shoes and trading off each day.

Unfortunately I am the queen of blisters at WDW and after all of my trips I think I am finally figuring out what works for me. I have to basically do all of the above in order to keep my feet from feeling miserable. My foot care routine at WDW is a legendary joke in my family but I have to do it or I will be very unhappy.

• Spray deodorant on both feet and let dry
  • Cut moleskin and cover any hot spots/blisters after feet are dry
  • Wear very thin footsie type socks (I can't think of the name but they are very sheer and made out of a pantyhose type material)
  • Wear Cool Max socks on top of the footsie socks
  • Wear well broken in shoes that I change everytime I go back to the room. I always bring at least 3 pairs so I can rotate with a minimum of 2 pair of shoes per day. Different shoes put pressure on different parts of your feet so it seems to elimiate some stress.
  • At the end of the day use some type of moisturizing lotion and see if I can beg DH to give me a foot rub :goodvibes

I have not yet had a fully blister free trip but our last trip was by far the best my feet have ever felt. :)

Duct tap - Duct Tape - Duct Tape

Apply it directly to your skin - no side effects - Prevents and also is good for after the blister occurs.

You can buy mini-rolls to carry with you in a fanny pack at most travel stores or REI.

Good luck!

P.S. If none of the above works - Look directly at your feet, speak firmly and forcefully and remind your feet that you are at Disneyworld and that not everyone gets to go to Disneyworld. They should be grateful. They should feel lucky to be there and not back in (insert your local weather conditions here) in (insert your local city/town/parish/township/state) at (insert usual daily activity such as work/school/hobby), and then tell them to get their act together, stop causing all these problems, and to have fun!

I agree with duct tape as well as cool max sox.

and if you are wearing sneakers, make sure they are at least one size larger than you normally wear.

This helped me tremendously. Your feet swell during the day and they need to expand. This is why a larger size is so much better

My wife got me some stuff from AVON and it worked great. Not one blister the whole trip and I usually get 2 or 3.

Just go to the AVON site and search for blister balm and it will be the first item. It smells good too.

Hope this helps,
Frank ::MickeyMo

Wow duct tape never occured to me. I'll have to take a pass on Avon because any of their scented items give me migraine headaches. Thanks for all the great suggestions guys! My feet thank you from the bottom of their soles ;)

Self sticking moleskin is the answer.
Works like a charm.
And the front desk will let you use their scissors.
:flower:

If you happen to get a big blisters pretty routinely. You might want to purchase blister bandaids. Before i found moleskin, i used the blister bandaids when i got a blister.

Moleskin is great, keep it in your backpack, or day pack. Pre-cut some and guess the size. Then if you feel a hot spot forming, stop, apply the molskin.

If its too late, try the blister bandaids. They are expensive, but are much better than a regular bandaid.

I also like the coolmax socks.

I use Blistershield Roll-on (recently repackaged under the name Sportshield). It works wonders. I also carry moleskin just in case any hot spots develop. Blister inhibiting socks called Wrightsocks are fantastic. They have two thin layers so the layers rub against each other. I always have two pairs of walking shoes and switch each day. I also put new gel inserts in each shoe to help pad the soles of my feet. Sore feet are now my main concern instead of blisters.

During the rainy season, carry dry socks just in case you get caught in a rainstorm. Moisture is the main cause of blisters (which is why antiperspirant must work).

Having done some time in the military.....and marched many many many miles, I would only use duct tape. Though it sounds weird, as others have said it works. It does not tear you skin or give any discomfort. The advantage is it never allows the shoe to make a hot spot. The most important thing is that sweat will not make it peel off. Knowing you will do a few miles you will not have a worry. :cool1:

Before our January trip I bought some "blister guard" socks at Target. Well, like a fool I tossed them in the suitcase without washing them first. We get to WDW and SURPRISE! the socks are too big for me! I wear size 8 shoes so it's not like I typically have issues with socks that are too large. The tag said they were for shoe sizes 6-10 or whatever. It's a darn good thing I had other socks to wear because I am certain that all that extra fabric bunched up in my shoe would have been bad!

I found that discount stores like Ross and Marshall's have a nice selection of socks - all styles and fabrics. I have been trying out different socks so I'll know which ones to bring in October.

I agree with the moleskin and the spray deodorant, and peppermint lotion after you soak your feet at the end of the day. If it is raining I STRONGLY suggest taking dry socks if you are wearing athletic shoes. We got soaked one day and the wet socks were the worst. Ended up buying dry ones for DS at AK for the low price of $12!

Good luck!

I wrap bandaids around every toe and put moleskin on the back of my heels. I used to wait for problems to start before applying - now I do this routine everytime before leaving the room.

It costs a fortune in bandaids, but, for me, the results are worth the price.

bearzabout, where did you find the Sportshield? I've looked for it here recently and couldn't find it. I'm not sure if some of the stores I tried were out of it, or just didn't carry it. I've never seen what it looks like, so I wasn't sure exactly what to look for! LOL

Thanks,
Terry :flower:

I bought some stuff called Bodyglide at a runners specialty store. (I had seen people mention it on the DIS boards) It looks like stick deoderant and you just rub some on your feet before putting on your shoes. It works great!

I also use spray deoderant/anti-perspirant on my feet and that helps, too.

I'm going to reccomend Body Glide I picked some up at REI the other day and I have been very impressed with it. I paid $6.95 for my stick (it looks like deodrant) and I couldn't be happier I would have paid twice that much. I read about it here on the Dis and decided to give it a try. It is not oily at all which is just wonderful. Here is the website:
http://www.bodyglide.com/skin/skin.html

Goofy4Disney said:
bearzabout, where did you find the Sportshield? I've looked for it here recently and couldn't find it. I'm not sure if some of the stores I tried were out of it, or just didn't carry it. I've never seen what it looks like, so I wasn't sure exactly what to look for! LOL

Thanks,
Terry :flower:

Try www.blistershield.com I ordered it online and just double checked and that website came up even though they are now calling it sportshield. Its from a company called 2 Toms and it works! Since purchasing it I have not gotten one blister. Even though they say the powder is for the feet I have always used the roll on. Looks very much like roll on deodorant.

I've tried many of the tips mentioned here and this is what I recommend after trial and errors:

Teva Pretty Rugged Sandals
Blistershield, Bodyglide or Avon Blister balm for feet and for chafing between legs and elsewhere; works wonders
Moleskins for hot spots
Soak feet each night if possible
Use Peppermint lotion on feet before bed
Take a motrin each day for swelling and pain
Broken in shoes
alternate shoes

Walking sneakers and cool max socks and antipersperant spray did not work for me.

I used to get blisters on every trip but since I started using Bodyglide (or Blistershield or Avon blister balm) and Teva Sandals (and sometimes moleskins), no more blisters.

My advice is to try each tip and see which ones work for you as every foot is different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter