Need your best recipe for GFCF birthday cake

Kiddeokee

Mouseketeer
My niece has autism, and has recently been diagnosed with extreme food allergies. They are putting her on a GFCF diet. I want to bake her a cake, so that I know it is safe for her and I hope that I can make it taste good. Her birthday is next Saturday. We have Whole Foods here, so I can buy ingredients. I want to make it from scratch if possible (I have heard the mixes are icky). Please share your best recipe with me for cake and frosting. It does have to be Gluten Free and Casein free.

I am just learning about this, and appreciate any help you may have.

Bless you for baking your neice a cake I wish my extended family took such interest. Now if you want to make a cake from a mix I found Namaste to be very good. It makes a light cake and a lot. Like I make cupcakes to keep in the freezer for when my DD goes to a party or something and it makes 30!!

But you said that you want to make it from scratch so... here is the one I use. This makes a dense cake almost like a brownie. The top will fall and most likely crack so it can be difficult to make a pretty cake unless you cut off the fallen part

1 1/3 cup GFCF chocolate chips
3/4 C shortening
6 eggs separated
1/2 C sugar divided
2t vanilla

Melt chocolate chips and shortening together. Beat egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar and 1 t of vanilla until thick and lemon color. Add melted chocolate mixture to the yolks and mix to combine. Beat egg white until stiff peaks add remaining sugar and vanilla. Fold egg whites into the chocolate mixture until combined. Divide mixture in cake pans that have been greased. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until tester comes out clean.

If you have a Trader Joes near you their chocolate chips are GFCF

Hope this helps

Thanks so much for the recipe & the suggestion for the pre-mixed version! I love my niece so much and want her to have a nice b-day cake... and want her parents to be able to relax about one element of the party. They go through so much and this is one thing that I can hopefully take off their plate. I am unemployed these days, so I can experiment this week before so I can try it first.

Are eggs OK for GFCF diets? the other things that my niece cannot have include honeydew melons, honey, broccoli, oranges, dates, but dairy is definitely off-limits. She has been on the diet about 2 days now... as they got the real allergy report Thursday. They are struggling to find things she will eat (very sensitive eater... already underweight... 6 yrs old, 35 lbs, non-verbal) Even if I could make some colorful, fluffy icing, she would probably be happy (because she can play with it.)

Thanks again!

I used boxed cake mix (Whole Foods should have several gluten-free cake mixes, and then I use rice milk and dairy-free margarine). They aren't really that awful. ;) The one thing I've noticed about the box mixes, and I don't know if a cake from scratch would do it or not, is they don't rise as much as a regular cake. Which is no biggie if you know about it, you just fill it a little more.

She should be able to have eggs, unless she's had allergy testing that says otherwise.

They also sell gluten-free icing mix, but don't buy it. I bought a box of that once. And what it was, was a box of powdered sugar. And some powdered vanilla extract. That's all it was. :mad:

Marshmallows or something marshmallow-based are an option for icing.

What you might consider doing, just a suggestion, is making her cupcakes instead of one big cake. Then if there are leftovers, her mom can freeze them and use them later for snacks. Or if you're feeling really adventurous, make a double-batch and make her some cupcakes, leave them unfrosted, and take over for her mom to put in the freezer. Individual frozen cupcakes are very handy.

Thanks so much for the recipe & the suggestion for the pre-mixed version! I love my niece so much and want her to have a nice b-day cake... and want her parents to be able to relax about one element of the party. They go through so much and this is one thing that I can hopefully take off their plate. I am unemployed these days, so I can experiment this week before so I can try it first.

Are eggs OK for GFCF diets? the other things that my niece cannot have include honeydew melons, honey, broccoli, oranges, dates, but dairy is definitely off-limits. She has been on the diet about 2 days now... as they got the real allergy report Thursday. They are struggling to find things she will eat (very sensitive eater... already underweight... 6 yrs old, 35 lbs, non-verbal) Even if I could make some colorful, fluffy icing, she would probably be happy (because she can play with it.)

Thanks again!

Colorful icing always works :thumbsup2 DD must always have PINK! Tell them hang in with the diet she may element substitute foods at first but eventually she will come around. Got to say that for my DD GFCF diet was the best thing that we have done!

Is my Super Food Allergic sons absolute favorite and it is as easy as a betty crocker style box mix!!!! I sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top (but there are some good frosting mixes at whole foods, too).
Happy Birthday to your kiddo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter