Need unique but not weird baby boy names.

disykat said:
I'd go with older names like Jeffrey, Douglas, Dennis, Kevin, Gregory, Bradley, etc. They'll probably be the only one in their class. The other names listed as unique aren't really that unique right now - many of them are very popular.

I would avoid some older names that never seem to lose popularity, like Michael or David. I also see a lot of the ones like my grandpa's generation had like Henry, George, etc.

Definitely not true:( I taught 7th grade a few years ago,and I had several of each of those,with the exception of Dennis.

I don't think the name Fox is weird....I have an 8 yr old boy named Fox :goodvibes

My in-laws were a little slow to warm up to the name, fine with it now though. When I was pg with the next, they were terrified when we told them his/her name would be Squirrel :lmao: (its unisex!) I think they were on edge until the day she was born and officially named lol

Ahhh! It's such a beautiful name!

I don't think it's weird either... We've agreed to call our first born son Harry, but Fox is my second choice - my partner isn't too keen though!

My good friend from school has three beautiful children - Felix (boy), Felicity (girl... obviously!) and Orin (boy). More cute names!

x

Ok my sons name is Quintin and we call him Quinn or Q for short. He is the only one in the school district with his name. But, my sister-in-law who lives in another part of the country has several in her area. So it really depends where you are. I am currently pregnant with our 4th and if it is a boy we will name him Hudson. Again, not really any here but it's very geographical.

My son is Callum - which is pretty obscure in North America, but pretty popular in the UK. If we had another boy, we were going to use the name Finlay.

My daughter is Quinn, which is more commonly a boy's name (although I think the number of girl Quinn's is catching up to the boy Quinn's!).

My twin grandson's names...Beckett and Quentin....love them.

Now if you want to go out there my other 5 grandkids (ethiopian) are:
Temesgen
Abiti
Misirach
Muluken
Zenabu

Love them more than life too!

I'll share a few that friends and family recommended to us for our DS (but we didn't use)... If any of them suit your style, enjoy!

Bartolomeo
Amadeo
Dashiell (nn Dash)
Fortunato
Stone
Maurice
Poe
Bruce
Walt

SamSam said:
My twin grandson's names...Beckett and Quentin....love them.

Yay! Another Quentin! We've met a couple of Quintons and a bunch of Quinns but never another Quentin :)

Unique means your child is the only person who has that name - that pretty much narrows it down to weird - as people will name their kids any string of letters that create something that can sound out into a word.

But uncommon? What do you like - Biblical names - there are a ton of old fashioned, not common biblical names - that come and go from fashion. Names of a national twist (I have a nephew named Soren as well - not at all common in most of the country, but three in his North Dakota classroom, the girls name Solveig isn't common at all, but somehow I know three Solveigs). Although George isn't unique at all, there aren't too many George's running around (but I taught a Kindergarten Sunday School with three Henrys in it two years ago). Do you discover going to names that start with certain sounds or letters (Aaron, Alex, Adam). Do you like literary names (I know of a little Dashiell and a little Atticus). Family names? Historical names?

Levi Dalton - My 20 year old son's name. He was the only Levi growing up but I notice the name has gained some popularity.

You can see the most popular names by state and year at Social Security's website.

Our short list for Jelly before he was born (his is one of these):

Abram
Callum
Declan
Asher
Levi
Simon
Sebastian

I really wanted to name him Ruslan (ROOs-lawn) but DH vetoed.

Another vote for Ian! My son is Ian Park, although if I could, I would change it to the traditional Scottish spelling 'Iain'. My daughters name is Kyler Jasmine. She loves a unique name but HATES that we could never get her the personalized things in the stores, had to have things custom ordered. I was trying to go for names that couldn't be shortened for nicknames.

If I ever had another boy, I love the name Declan. For a girl I like Ciaryn.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII using DISBoards

Hawkins Mickey
Jamison Aladdin
Grey Woody
Corde Dash
Jefferson Buzz
Axel
Gunner
Duke
Maverick
Atticus
Noble
Woodrow
Oscar

One person's unique will be weird to others so maybe go with uncommon.

Even uncommon can backfire. Bailey, Hannah, Madison, and Jaden come to mind. Uncommon but then many people decided to use them and now DD knows so many that we must refer to them all by surname to know which Bailey or Madi we mean. Harper and Finley seem to currently be on the rise around here. I've known several named one of these in the last two years.

All that being said, I like Seamus, Declan, Ian, Liam, Oliver, and Gabe. All of these would be uncommon in my part of the World. Which is another good point...names tend to be regional. Landon and Levi are fairly common here.

My advice is go with a name that you love and don't worry too much about whether it's unique. You have no idea what others are naming their children and whether it will remain unique.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter