Need to vent about how expensive WDW is now

Unless you are going during the December block out, the cost of a Sorcerer pass is not quite $1000pp. You only need one pass to have the memory maker.

are you saying with DVC you are paying $10000 on a yearly vacation?

i can see that price if you are not from the states and are flying At least Select or maybe business class.

I doubt you will have difficulty selling you DVC though. The resale market has been good.
$3600 for tickets for 4 (10 days)
$3400 dvc maintenance fees (400 points). That’s $340/night for 10 nights.
$1600+ airfare (4 ppl)

$8600 not including food/airport transport/Nick nacks/etc for 4 ppl.

Even at $150/day is $37pp per day or $12.30 per meal for three meals a day per person (where can you get that at Disney though??).

So it’s at least $1500 for 10 days without sit down dinners/character meals/trinkets. Realistically it’s $2k-3k+ for ice cream, pins, nice meals. Gotta get our dole whip.

That’s $8600 + food/other at $2-3k

Last edited:
$1600+ airfare (4 ppl)

Even at $150/day is $37pp per day or $12.30 per meal for three meals a day per person (where can you get that at Disney though??).

So it’s at least $1500 for 10 days without sit down dinners/character meals/trinkets. Realistically it’s $2k-3k+ for ice cream, pins, nice meals. Gotta get our dole whip.

Just for a comparison. I know it is not the same "magic", but it is the competition

Busch Gardens Williamsburg - Black Friday sale for annual pass including unlimited parking, theme park, waterpark, Halloween Party, and Christmas Town - $180 each x 4 = $720

14 nights at our beautiful 2 BD Marriott Timeshare - $1,995 MF and trade fee - $142.50 per night

Driving - so $50 x 3 = $150

Total - $2,865 which gives us 1 week in the spring, 1 week in the fall including the Halloween party, and 1 quick visit for Christmas party in December. Park is physically much more beautiful than Disney with mature trees and shade but more focused on thrill rides. Crowds are half.

Plus for an extra $120 per ticket/year I can get access to 9 more parks including Sea World and Water Park in Orlando.

It is not the same as Disney, but hard for me to justify the difference any more.

$1600+ airfare (4 ppl)

3600 for DVC fees? For our last two trips, I rented points at SSR for under 2k in a preferred room for a week. This is why I could never justify DVC. The math just never worked for us. I'm sure if you go several times a year it might, but you really have to love WDW for that............... and all the extra costs with several trips a year.

3600 for DVC fees? For our last two trips, I rented points at SSR for under 2k in a preferred room for a week. This is why I could never justify DVC. The math just never worked for us. I'm sure if you go several times a year it might, but you really have to love WDW for that............... and all the extra costs with several trips a year.
$3400 is for 400 points which you would never need if you don’t go every year. For a studio you could easily get by with 60-100 points and go every other year or every 3 years, maintenance fees would only be about $600-$1000.

Like @Chili327 was saying it's not 3600. A preferred studio in SSR costs 127 points at most for a week as long as you don't go during Christmas/Spring break. If you go during the cheap season (September) it's only 87 points for a preferred studio for a week. But for example's sake, 127 points * 8.14 (dues for SSR in 2024) = a little over 1,000. 400 points would get you a 2BR villa for a week that can hold 9 people at most resorts during any week of the year except for Christmas/Spring Break. Of course this doesn't take into account buy in but I'm too lazy to go through all of that on here lol

Last edited:
Like @Chili327 was saying it's not 3600. A preferred studio in SSR costs 127 points at most for a week as long as you don't go during Christmas/Spring break. If you go during the cheap season (September) it's only 87 points for a preferred studio for a week. But for example's sake, 127 points * 8.14 (dues for SSR in 2024) = a little over 1,000. 400 points would get you a 2BR villa for a week that can hold 9 people at most resorts during any week of the year except for Christmas/Spring Break. Of course this doesn't take into account buy in but I'm too lazy to go through all of that on here lol
Yeah but then there's the purchase cost plus the yearly commitment. Definitely not for us. I don't want to be tied down to a timeshare.

Yeah but then there's the purchase cost plus the yearly commitment. Definitely not for us. I don't want to be tied down to a timeshare.
Fair! DVC definitely isn’t for everybody. I’m not trying to sell you on it, just that its not 3600 in dues for a week in a studio in SSR. And like I said in my prior post this obviously doesn’t include the buy in price. For most people, DVC isn’t worth it. With the buy in price itd probably be closer to 800 during the cheapest season, 1300 during the 127 point season I alluded to with buy in cost accounted for. For us it is worth it because we go very frequently and want to stay in nice hotels on property but in general most people shouldn’t get it.

Fair! DVC definitely isn’t for everybody. I’m not trying to sell you on it, just that its not 3600 in dues for a week in a studio in SSR. And like I said in my prior post this obviously doesn’t include the buy in price. For most people, DVC isn’t worth it. With the buy in price itd probably be closer to 800 during the cheapest season, 1300 during the 127 point season I alluded to with buy in cost accounted for. For us it is worth it because we go very frequently and want to stay in nice hotels on property but in general most people shouldn’t get it.
We had a few years when the kids were in grade school age when it would have been worth it, There were times when I thought we should have. I think the way things are right now I would have been looking to sell and that probably would have turned out to be profitable. I'm amazed people buy in at today's prices. I hope it works out for them.

Totally agree DVC not for everyone, especially if you want to vacation elsewhere. We do not. We have been going to WDW since the year it opened, staying at Poly and Contemp when it was only on-property open. It's a safe haven for us and the daughters now as adults still love it as much as when they were little. It makes us feel good and 'come down' from life. Stress reliever. Some things are worth it and many are not. Disney is worth it (to us). Yes, we get aggravated with the price hikes.

Because we stay at Deluxe always with DVC, we would have a very hard time staying at Value/Moderates so DVC totally fits the bill. (for us) And yes, this time of year I gulp while I pay the dues. But then I hear many of my friends with other timeshares saying the exact same thing. Even though those timeshares might be bigger in size, they aren't 'in the Bubble' and that's what we want. DVC allows us to stay in the Bubble at lovely resorts and walk literally to Epcot and MK and take a fun Skyliner to HS. Some things aren't worth it and some are. In all honesty, we are careful with ADR's and now mix sit downs with QS to save money. We also aren't drinkers at all.

We had a few years when the kids were in grade school age when it would have been worth it, There were times when I thought we should have. I think the way things are right now I would have been looking to sell and that probably would have turned out to be profitable. I'm amazed people buy in at today's prices. I hope it works out for them.
It's not really as profitable like how it was back in the old days where if you go into it with the intention to sell down the line it's profitable. If there's any doubt about whether or not you're going to keep going I wouldn't really recommend it which is why I tell people who are only doing it for when their kids are growing up to just rent points and avoid the commitment. But if you were going at least every other year anyways and it may be worth considering

Totally agree DVC not for everyone, especially if you want to vacation elsewhere. We do not. We have been going to WDW since the year it opened, staying at Poly and Contemp when it was only on-property open. It's a safe haven for us and the daughters now as adults still love it as much as when they were little. It makes us feel good and 'come down' from life. Stress reliever. Some things are worth it and many are not. Disney is worth it (to us). Yes, we get aggravated with the price hikes.

Because we stay at Deluxe always with DVC, we would have a very hard time staying at Value/Moderates so DVC totally fits the bill. (for us) And yes, this time of year I gulp while I pay the dues. But then I hear many of my friends with other timeshares saying the exact same thing. Even though those timeshares might be bigger in size, they aren't 'in the Bubble' and that's what we want. DVC allows us to stay in the Bubble at lovely resorts and walk literally to Epcot and MK and take a fun Skyliner to HS. Some things aren't worth it and some are. In all honesty, we are careful with ADR's and now mix sit downs with QS to save money. We also aren't drinkers at all.
Agreed! This is us. If my future kids don't like WDW, too bad. Mom and Dad are still going to go. We love going and want to go at minimum every year if not more and we have no intentions of stopping. We definitely spend a lot on food and airfare and fortunately we're not drinkers either but what can we say we love it. We still want to vacation elsewhere, but Disney will always be a constant in our vacations and we like knowing that it is.

It's not really as profitable like how it was back in the old days where if you go into it with the intention to sell down the line it's profitable. If there's any doubt about whether or not you're going to keep going I wouldn't really recommend it which is why I tell people who are only doing it for when their kids are growing up to just rent points and avoid the commitment. But if you were going at least every other year anyways and it may be worth considering
If you bought it 15 years ago selling it now would be profitable. The price increase over the last couple of decades has been pretty substantial. I wouldn't buy it now thinking I was going to make a profit. A lot has changed over the last couple of years and I wouldn't be surprised if anything bought now ends up being a loss in the future.

If you bought it 15 years ago selling it now would be profitable. The price increase over the last couple of decades has been pretty substantial. I wouldn't buy it now thinking I was going to make a profit. A lot has changed over the last couple of years and I wouldn't be surprised if anything bought now ends up being a loss in the future.
I mean that's pretty much what I just said lol. It goes without saying, this isn't a financial investment. It's a timeshare. The past history of being able to sell it at a profit is NOT a predictor of the future. If you want your money to grow, throw it in a CD or mutual index fund. Doing this you're going to spend more money on vacations and etc. in total. But you'll also be going more frequently in better accommodations for less than if you had paid cash. This is why I say if you're going regularly anyways and would be going even if you don't own DVC, it's still worth considering. We were going 3x a year as is so it made sense for us. If your goal is to come out at a net profit after all is said and done including airfare, food and etc., do something else with your money.

Anyways, back on topic. To OP: I'm not sure if you've considered it but maybe consider renting DVC points or staying off property if that's an option? There are plenty of great airBNBs that you can get off site with a lot more room for far less. I know it's not as convenient as just walking from Contemporary to MK but it'll also save you thousands and you could probably even extend your trip out some AND save money.

Last edited:
In 2019, we had a great trip. Free Dining and Free Magic Express was included, and Fastpass+ was still free. A lot has changed in the world and at WDW since then, and for us that means our last week-long trip and our next trip to Orlando will be at Universal. It will cost the same as our 2019 trip to WDW (for the same week, same tier of hotel), and will include free unlimited express pass. ADRs are easy to make, even relatively last minute. I work too hard for my vacations to deal with the ridiculous hassle that WDW has become, and, to be clear, we are in the tax bracket Disney is targeting with all their preposterous upcharges. But you know what rich people value as much as their money? Their time. If we went back to WDW, we would use Marriott points to stay at the Swan/Dolphin and then get some friends to join us and split a VIP tour. 2 nights, max.

In 2019, we had a great trip. Free Dining and Free Magic Express was included, and Fastpass+ was still free. A lot has changed in the world and at WDW since then, and for us that means our last week-long trip and our next trip to Orlando will be at Universal. It will cost the same as our 2019 trip to WDW (for the same week, same tier of hotel), and will include free unlimited express pass. ADRs are easy to make, even relatively last minute. I work too hard for my vacations to deal with the ridiculous hassle that WDW has become, and, to be clear, we are in the tax bracket Disney is targeting with all their preposterous upcharges. But you know what rich people value as much as their money? Their time. If we went back to WDW, we would use Marriott points to stay at the Swan/Dolphin and then get some friends to join us and split a VIP tour. 2 nights, max.
Those universal express passes are a realllly nice perk of staying at deluxe Universal resorts.

This thread is in such contrast to another current thread where more than one person is advocating that the only way to make G+ work well is to keep raising the price until a limited number of people can afford it. Because, per this thinking, too many people can afford it now.

Of course, if Disney wanted to limit the number of G+s it sells, it could just do that, but apparently charging $100 or $200 for it would appease the people who can easily afford that cost. After all, one of their arguments goes, that's what Uni charges, so WDW should too.

I'm not kidding or exaggerating, btw. There are actually people on this board who are saying that raising the price of G+ is basically a necessity. Perhaps these are the same people who were pushing for a paid FP+ system a couple of years ago.

Sometimes I wonder if people who want WDW to cost even more are Disney employees, paid by Disney to say these things in public forums, or have such a high income that money is actually no object.

At some point, if the cost of a WDW vacation becomes out of reach for too many people, it will end up closing, because, frankly, rich people aren't all that interested in going to a theme park.

Reactions: shh
This thread is in such contrast to another current thread where more than one person is advocating that the only way to make G+ work well is to keep raising the price until a limited number of people can afford it. Because, per this thinking, too many people can afford it now.

Of course, if Disney wanted to limit the number of G+s it sells, it could just do that, but apparently charging $100 or $200 for it would appease the people who can easily afford that cost. After all, one of their arguments goes, that's what Uni charges, so WDW should too.

I'm not kidding or exaggerating, btw. There are actually people on this board who are saying that raising the price of G+ is basically a necessity. Perhaps these are the same people who were pushing for a paid FP+ system a couple of years ago.

Sometimes I wonder if people who want WDW to cost even more are Disney employees, paid by Disney to say these things in public forums, or have such a high income that money is actually no object.

At some point, if the cost of a WDW vacation becomes out of reach for too many people, it will end up closing, because, frankly, rich people aren't all that interested in going to a theme park.
You're also misrepresenting what was said and the context as well.

There's discussing the expensive nature to Disney and then there's discussing how to potentially improve the guest experience even more so given the expensive nature. Those two thoughts can also combine into thinking if you're paying all that money to go but you're coming away with it not feeling like a good trip in part because of the lines what could be done to change that.

In general most people who view increasing the cost of whatever Disney's get ahead of the line program is at the time view it as benefiting both those who purchase it/have it and those that don't, most especially given how much favoring Disney does towards that get ahead of the line.

People who are proposing Disney to raise the price aren't doing it because they don't understand the expensive aspect to Disney or because they themselves can easily afford the cost (that is an assumption on your part and I've not read an indicator that all who have said it are even willing to pay the increased price nevermind that they themselves could easily afford it), they are pondering it because it would potentially leave less people to purchase it overall. Disney is well aware they have a problem with allowing unfettered access to their Genie+ system.

You're also incorrect that "perhaps these people are the same that wanted a paid FP+ system".

I see more assumptions made in your comment with all due respect, than an accurate portrayal of what you view is two sides of the coin. I don't think they are two sides of the coin at all but all part of the same overall conversation surrounding Disney's product that is their parks.

This is so true. I used to report to/support CEOs, SVPs and other senior level execs across different companies in years past. As a WDW fan myself, it was always interesting to me that not a single one wanted ANYTHING to do with theme parks - and were very vocal about it.

Not saying none do - obviously this is purely anecdotal. But the ones I worked with took their family on trips to Europe, Asia, luxury cruises, island getaways, etc. They simply weren't interested or willing to deal with crowds, discomfort, heat, inconvenience or any mediocrity.

If WDW's strategy is to cater to upper income families, not sure it'll end well for them. Especially since their #1 business asset - their brand value - has eroded w/younger generations.

Last edited:
You're also misrepresenting what was said and the context as well.

There's discussing the expensive nature to Disney and then there's discussing how to potentially improve the guest experience even more so given the expensive nature. Those two thoughts can also combine into thinking if you're paying all that money to go but you're coming away with it not feeling like a good trip in part because of the lines what could be done to change that.

In general most people who view increasing the cost of whatever Disney's get ahead of the line program is at the time view it as benefiting both those who purchase it/have it and those that don't, most especially given how much favoring Disney does towards that get ahead of the line.

People who are proposing Disney to raise the price aren't doing it because they don't understand the expensive aspect to Disney or because they themselves can easily afford the cost (that is an assumption on your part and I've not read an indicator that all who have said it are even willing to pay the increased price nevermind that they themselves could easily afford it), they are pondering it because it would potentially leave less people to purchase it overall. Disney is well aware they have a problem with allowing unfettered access to their Genie+ system.

You're also incorrect that "perhaps these people are the same that wanted a paid FP+ system".

I see more assumptions made in your comment with all due respect, than an accurate portrayal of what you view is two sides of the coin. I don't think they are two sides of the coin at all but all part of the same overall conversation surrounding Disney's product that is their parks.
I'm here on the DIS because I love Disney--which sentiment you disparaged on the other thread--not to argue. So I will not argue with you.

Especially since the brand value - the love for their characters, movies, etc - is fading fast w/younger generations.
Not sure where you come to this conclusion, but I know I disagree with the opinion. Tough to validate either way, but I know the younger generation that I'm close to in my 'orbit' does not have a fading love for Disney. And all I need to restore the magic in my trip is to stand watching the fireworks at Cinderella's castle, hearing many of the 'newer generation' songs (many of which I don't always know!!) - and hearing the 5-12 year-olds happily singing loudly to the Disney music........ Again, that doesn't prove my point or validate yours - just that I don't see any fading around me.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter