• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need tips on making my lime green Mickey ears

kampfirekim

DIS Veteran
Helllppp! We'll be at the Fort in a little over a month and I need advice on making some green ears so's any fiends at the Fort will be able to find me! What materials work best? Maybe some of you great folks could post a pic of yours as a guide. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. :goodvibes

I thought about a clothesline w/green thongs, but alas, i don't think i have the nerve to leave that up for 2 weeks! :lmao: (and I don't think DH would be able to survive that hanging on his campsite either.)

I used 2 6" and 1 10" wood disc from Michaels. Glued them together with wood glue then painted. Bought stick on letters, printed the graphics and then applied decopage. Sprayed the whole thing with clear acrylic after the decopage dried. Be sure you paint the back with some color (I used black) to seal the wood.

Disboards.jpg

I used 2 6" and 1 10" wood disc from Michaels. Glued them together with wood glue then painted. Bought stick on letters, printed the graphics and then applied decopage. Sprayed the whole thing with clear acrylic after the decopage dried. Be sure you paint the back with some color (I used black) to seal the wood.

Disboards.jpg

Love your ears! They look great!

Since there will be 21 of us at the Fort in 35 days, I got a lime green tablecloth and cut out a huge Mickey head. We all signed our names and slapped on other "graffiti" in Sharpie, and then I affixed it to a bright orange tablecloth and Voila! Giant lime green Mickey ears!

We don't do things small. :rotfl:

Rose

Disboards.jpg

Cool! You're ears look great! I like your idea. Thanks for the reply. KFK

Since there will be 21 of us at the Fort in 35 days, I got a lime green tablecloth and cut out a huge Mickey head. We all signed our names and slapped on other "graffiti" in Sharpie, and then I affixed it to a bright orange tablecloth and Voila! Giant lime green Mickey ears!

We don't do things small. :rotfl:

Rose

You shore don't Rose! :rotfl: With my slightly OCD personality, I am often over the top myself! :lmao: Very nice idea! Since the KFK clan is only a party of 4, we may not need ears quite as large as a tablecloth, but I do want them to have a little size! Don't want them to be overlooked by any fiends passing by! On second thought, maybe I COULD make them tablecloth size and hang them on a clothesline, then for good measure, post a pic on the clothesline thread! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

(I know that last comment was snarky and wrong, but I just couldn't help it!)

I love everyone's originality and creativity with these signs! It'll be fun to spot them at the campground!

How is yours coming along Kim? I am working on mine today. I bought a garden flag stake and made a "flag" from a pillowcase. I'm going to iron on the green mickey ears and some clip art. I'll post a pic when I get done if I can figure out how to do that. Do you have to have a photo bucket account to link photos here?

I love everyone's originality and creativity with these signs! It'll be fun to spot them at the campground!

How is yours coming along Kim? I am working on mine today. I bought a garden flag stake and made a "flag" from a pillowcase. I'm going to iron on the green mickey ears and some clip art. I'll post a pic when I get done if I can figure out how to do that. Do you have to have a photo bucket account to link photos here?

I haven't actually started yet. We've been getting ready for our annual pre-WDW camping trip and I just haven't had time. As soon as we get back in a few days I'm going to get busy on mine! I had actually had the same thought as you. I kinda like the idea of a garden flag. It would be very easy to store in the camper as well. I thought about using the garden flag type material and using stitch witchery to bond the ears to the flag. That way I could avoid having to paint for now as I don't think I'll have the time for that before we leave for Disney. DH works long hours and that leaves me alone w/the kiddos all day and some nights w/not much spare time. Whatever I do will have to be quick and simple. Maybe sometime after school starts back I can get a little fancier.

I know someone already answered your question, but just to let you know, I use photo bucket to post pics here. I know there are other photo sharing sites you could use as well, but I heard of PB and went with that.

Thanks MNSPRK and KFK. I'll look into getting a photo bucket account so I can post a few pics. Also, I know what you mean about the kids keeping you busy. I'm trying to find enough to entertain my two this summer - at least we'll be heading to the fort soon!!!

I used mnsprk plan and made ours:

DSC_3180.jpg

DSC_2566.jpg

I got a sample size of the green paint at home depot and there was plenty to put 2 coats on the front and back and had paint left over. Also sealed it with the decoupage.

Ellen

DSC_3180.jpg

DSC_2566.jpg

I got a sample size of the green paint at home depot and there was plenty to put 2 coats on the front and back and had paint left over. Also sealed it with the decoupage.

Ellen

Looks great!:thumbsup2

You should also seal it with a clear acrylic (spray can) it will weather better

Thanks MNSPRK and KFK. I'll look into getting a photo bucket account so I can post a few pics. Also, I know what you mean about the kids keeping you busy. I'm trying to find enough to entertain my two this summer - at least we'll be heading to the fort soon!!!
:cheer2: Hooray! Please share a sign pic here so I can easily find it! I'd love to see your handiwork! We just got back from our weekend camping trip and I will begin work on my sign/flag soon.

Ellen

Looks great! I actually saw it a few minutes ago on TCD's TR thread! Nice job. :thumbsup2 Just curious....what did you use as a stake and how did you attatch it to the sign?

Here is how my site sign turned out:

100_2860.jpg
[/URL]

Does anyone know if there is any type of clear coat I can spray over this to protect it a little bit?

It looks fantastic! How did you apply the graphics? Sorry, I don't know of any protective spray except maybe Scotch Guard.

I used Wilton T-Shirt Transfers that I bought at Michaels. I don't think they are very high quality but that's all they carried. I'll check into the Scotchguard idea. Thanks!

Finally got my ears finished! Thanks for all of your help. I went with the wooden discs and flag idea and came up with this:

2114d940.jpg

Perhaps the green ears w/the grassy green background wasn't the best plan...oh well! I also printed out a 4 x 6 pair of ears to display behind the GC windshield. :thumbsup2

ETA: Redid the ears and posted a pic on the Who's gonna be at the Fort thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter