• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need tips for Disney with 6 kids! We are outnumbered 3 to 1!

Do as much as possible before you go to sleep, so all you are doing in the morning is getting dressed, breakfast and out the door. Breakfast while traveling to the parks is always a good idea when leaving early.

These are some good suggestions. Getting out the door in an organized manner is important witha large gruop. We don't bring snacks so much,and food is not allowed on the buses. We tend to use the food courts/quick serve for breakfast. It shouldn't be a case of one person being a task master. If you are at the gate at 9:15, that's still plenty early. However, the difference between arrving at 9:15 and 10:15 is huge. So extra time wasted in the morning is important time lost.

We also prep much of what we need for the day the night before. It's always a good idea to get a quick weather report each morning and maybe an update before bed if it looks iffy for rain. That way you know if you should pack jackets or rain gear (I hate to carry anything extra.)

If you have any family members who can shower at night, that may help. So maybe some are at night and some in the morning.

If you are staying on property, you'll need two rooms, a DVC suite, or a Ft. Wilderness Cabin. I think the All Star Suites only sleep five.

The trouble with a schedule is that it often creats more problems than it solves. I've been enough times to know that if we had made a schedule then we would have spent way more time in line. We Do however make a schedule in terms of which park we'll go to on each day. We also tend to have one dining reservation most days, but there are also lots of places to get good quick serve meals, too.

If you are thinking of making any dining reservations, I would make then as early as you can. Preferably near the 180 day mark. With a larger group, getting reservations can be more of a challenge. If you are staying at a resort with a TS restaurant, you'll probably love having a meal there. Indeed, at some of the deluxe resorts, it's worth considering eating at your home resort twice, or the next door resort. The table service places at the mods are nice as well.

Even when we stay offsite and at the values we had dinner at our home resorts at least once.

One more family tip I alwasy like. If you've got a digital camera then taking a picture of every one each morning is helpful. That way you've got a picture of each person in their outfit inthe event someone gets lost.

Another handy thing for groups is cell phones. Someone recently mentioned that texting can helpful at WDW, too.

We have split up with smaller groups and made many more trips as well. It has worked out great. Took two of the boys a couple weeks by myself and DW & I will be taking the baby girl down in two weeks for her 3 year birthday. I know it's not convenient but it does work well.

Thank you so much for all the ideas!

Just booked our flights .. now I'm trying to come up with ideas to travel efficiently as a large group! I figure if I put the boys in the first 2 seats of the plane, DH and the 9 year old and 12 year old girl in the next row and me and the little girls in the last row it will give us the most opportunity to be assessible to everyone.

I am the oldest of 6 and we traveled to WDW almost every summer while I was growing up....

Everyone had a buddy... we knew very quickly if our buddy wandered too far away.

My parents made sure that on the last day or 2 of our vacation, everyone got to go back and ride their favorite ride.

My mom was the master of meals in the park... we split adult CS meals when my mom knew some of us weren't going to finish them.

Have fun!!!! :cool1:

Just know that you are going to have a tremendous amount of fun, and you will also be more tired than you have ever been! In August, it is very hot and crowded, so a good touring plan is a great idea. Here's what we've done:

--At the airport, I make sure the kids know the routine. I go through security first, and help make sure no one forgets or looses any of their personal items as they come off the conveyor. My husband is last in line, and can help the stragglers.

--when walking through the airport, we each drag our own carry-on and walk single file, mom up front to lead the way and dad in the back to make sure we don't loose anyone. Like ducks in a row.

--we pack one carry-on with clothes for one day (in case luggage gets lost) and pajamas and small 3oz bottles of sunscreen and other toiletriesd. Each child's carry-on is packed with whatever they need to entertain themselves (ie, coloring books, i-pod, ear-phones, small toys, etc) for the long plane ride. We also give them individual baggies of candy, gum and snacks.

--we came up with a way to make sure each child is on their best behavior. They are each given a certain amount of money for each day--every time they misbehave, they loose a dollar--3 strikes and no money for that day. At the end of our vacation, we go shopping for souvenirs and the best behaved child with the most money gets an extra surprise--our kids have never behaved better!

--We use the buddy system and when we are ready to leave an area we make sure each person is accounted for before we walk away.

--The younger kids wear a lanyard with our cell phone numbers just in case they get lost.

--We got to the parks at rope drop and followed a good touring plan. Sometimes we split up so the older kids can ride wilder rides with their dad while my youngest and I shopped in the gift shop or got snacks, or rode Triceratop Spin 5 times while they rode Primeval Whirl once...

--We at our counter service lunch at 11 to beat the crowds and knew what we wanted to order ahead of time (check allears.net for menus and print a copy to take with you). The kids sat at the table while dad and I got the food. I made the 12 year old in charge for the short time that we were away and we always made sure we could see them.

--We got a stroller for the youngest and we found that it helped us all have a better time. Plus, it was a great place to store water bottles, autograph books, ponchos, etc (make sure you don't leave anything that is not easily replaceable).

I hope this is helpful. Have a wonderful time with your family!:cool1:

Dr. M gives excellent suggestions. We do WDW trips several ways. We just spent two wks off-site, and came home on Jan. 10th. We split up during the day, and we are always at the park 30min before rope drop! In fact, On Jan 5, I was so organized, that we were at AK before the parking lot was open:rotfl2: as we had ressie's at Tusker House. We left the parks by 1pm, went back to the house for a nap, swim and big lunch, and then went back to the parks in the evenings. We found 2 single strollers worked better for us, than one double, as quite often we split the little ones up, either with their oldest sibling or a parent.
We are going back in May, staying at the Poly and only taking the 2 youngest for DD's 6th birthday. It works for us, as the older ones understand that they have been more often than the little ones, and each child spends their 6th birthday at WDW. That's our tradition. However, now that our family is complete, that tradition is almost over.:scared1: It will be time for a new one.
Enjoy your trip and savour every moment.:grouphug:

I just wanted to add one more thing. The crowds leaving the parks after fireworks are very scary! If your kids are night owls and you don't have to be up for rope drop the next morning, I would suggest just hanging out and do some shopping till the crowds thin out. If you have to leave with the crowds, I would have your and your DH hang on tightly to two kids each and have the older two hold hands and not let go, no matter what! Crowds can be crazy and it will be easy to get lost. Pre-determine a meeting place at the front of the park in case you get separated.

Great suggestions..

My kids are teens but I enjoyed reading everything...

I just read a LONG thread with suggestions on lost children...and it had GREAT suggestions....

Writing parents cell phone numbers on kids hands with a sharpie, a special bracelet that can be ordered... temporary tattoos with cell phone numbers...

I taught my son our phone number in a Song...that way he could remember it.

ANother suggestion....we pack a TON of breakfast foods...so kids can eat before we leave the room. That way no one gets "bored" while someone else is getting ready in the bathroom. Plus everyone has something in their tummy so NO crankiness before we hit CS lunch or TS Character Breakfast...

Not sure where you are staying...but I learned the hard way... that spending $$ on a situation with TWO bathrooms....is WELL worth the money...

Have a magical visit !

Mary

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter