Need tips...camera...which to take or not take!?!

disneyfamilyfive

Mouseketeer
I am a photo lover...planning to get the memory makers photo package. However, there is still so much to capture while at WDW that don't have photo pass photographers...candid shots and while we are there for 10 days, we are only doing parks 5 of the days! Sooo...I am trying to decide which camera/cameras to bring.
I currently have a Nikon D5100 (DSLR), Olympus Tough 820 (which is waterproof) as well as a panasonic point and shoot (not waterproof) and my iphone 5s.

Our Vacation: We are doing a 4 night Disney Dream cruise and a week and half of WDW after the cruise. It is our first cruise ever (DH, DS- 11,7,2 and DD9). Staying on the ship at Nassau, getting off at CC. It's DS2's first trip to WDW

I was thinking of bringing the Nikon DSLR and the Olympus waterproof camera (and if course I will have my iphone along anyway).

What did you take, did you wish you had more, less, what did you use most... was the DSLR too much to carry at the parks, how did it work with getting on rides and such, were the quality of the photos worth it? Any thoughts, advise or tips would be greatly appreciated!!

I have this exact same dilemma every vacation.

I always want to bring the DSLR and then I think about having to drag that thing and its lenses around with me through the airport, the parks, cruiseships, etc.

I am actually flying out in two hours and 15 minutes and have yet to make up my mind.

I recently took a Disney cruise and took just my point n shoot and wished the entire time that I had the SLR. I used my iPhone more than the Point n Shoot.

I feel like the SLR makes me take more pictures as I am angry afterwards that I dragged it around and did not use it.

Ugh.... decisions.

I just had a mini debate with myself. I am taking the Canon Elph 330 and leaving the SLR home.

If you have a stroller and are not carrying the SLR on your back you have more options, though.

Can't figure this dilemma ....if you bought a DSLR camera , why not take it... It's what you bought if for....shoots better pictures than a compact camera or phone camera...

So many options with settings with a DSLR... I have a Nikon D3000... It goes every trip... I don't drag any extra lens, I have a compact case but the camera is always out on my neck with a comfortable strap... Ready to capture that shot...

Can you zoom a compact camera or phone and get quality prints..!

I love my DSLR but I find it too heavy/bulky to carry around at WDW. I took it last time we went, but only for use at KSC.

DH bought me a Samsung WB250F for Christmas, which actually zooms in further than my biggest DSLR lens. I shall be taking that with me as my main camera. DH also bought me a Kodak PlaySport which I shall take for videoing (and the kids find that one easy to use too). And I have a Canon Ixus with an underwater case, so I shall take that with me for use in our villa pool and at the water parks.

I feel your pain. I have a Nikon D7000 and absolutely love the quality of the pictures but it is a pain to carry around the parks. I have taken it for our past two trips and will probably take it on our trip in October but will I will also take a compact camera. I will switch out based on how I'm feeling that day. There are so many great photo opportunities in the parks and I hate to feel that I might miss something special! Oh the dilemma!

I think I will try to just take the compact camera into the parks. It would be so nice to not have to keep track of the larger camera. I would like to just use a crossbody purse, put the compact camera in it and have my hands free.

Good luck with your decision.

I would definitely take the DSLR; even if you take other cameras as well.

As far as the cruise is concerned; you'll always be able to easily put it back in your room, if you get tired of it. And if anything, use the p&s for times when you might or might not take pics; i.e. dinners. (Then again, many of the cool character photo ops are around the dinner times).

And when you do the parks, maybe just try the DSLR for the first day, to see how it goes. A comfortable camera strap will help also, if that's part of your hesitation.

I wouldn't dream of taking anything besides my DSLR to WDW. The pain of carrying it is always well worth the shots I get from it.

I took my DSLR that last three times that I've gone to WDW. While I love the pictures that it takes, it's big a bulky. So, I went on search for a P&S with DSLR options. I ended up buying the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5. I love it.

The functionality of a DSLR with the compactness of a P&S. The Samsung NX-10 is another on that I love and it takes amazing pictures as well.

I almost always take my DSLR and my point and shoot. If this is your first time on the cruise, you should really take the DSLR. I tend to wait till about 1am and start wandering around the ship taking picture. I love that because there is no one around and I always get really great picture. I don't have any issues with my DSLR on rides either. I just have it on a should sling and it works fine for me.

I would agree with the other post... If you have one, use it. The pictures are much better quality. I generally take over 2k of pictures over a 7 day period.

Good luck!

I take my Canon Rebel with me when we go to Disney. I may not take it in the park everyday. Just depends on what we are doing that day. The phone camera is ok, but if we are doing something with action or characters, I take the nice camera in with me. I hate the delay of the camera on the phone.

I just pack my in a towel and put it in the backpack. Most times the pack will fit in the mesh pouch on the ride. I like having the nice camera just in case.

I would never leave my DSLR at home.

However, that being said, two trips ago I brought my Canon Mark III, 24-70 and 70-200 and used a shoulder bag. After all that walking and excess weight, my shoulders hurt.

Last trip, I switched to a backpack. Less convenient for switching lenses or taking out a flash, but 100 percent better in terms of comfort.

I use to bring my camera and several lens too and experienced the same issue. After several trips I devised not to being additional lens and just used a super wide prime. It actually worked out well for me because it forced me to be part of the action opposed to depending on a zoom. However with that say, there have been times I wished I had my zoom lens too. I guess it is all about trade offs.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread, and everyone's replies, and I'm no longer convinced by my own response, lol. I love the photos my Canon DSLR takes, but I know how much effort it is to lug it about - especially with two young children in tow.

I think I'll end up packing it anyway, "just in case"... Lol.

I just ordered a new camera for our trip this summer. I went with the Panasonic Lumix TS5. I'm hoping it will take great shots and be small enough to fit in a pocket. A friend of mine has last year's model, the TS4, and says its great.

I love hearing everyone's opinions and experiences. I am going to take the DSLR (mainly because of the cruise) and we'll see how it goes with the first park...I'll have my point and shoot along as well on stand by!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter