Need tips and guidance for Disney World with Autistic Children

Is your group online or IRL? I'm just wondering, because I'm starting to look for support/self advocacy resources for my DD, 9. And I completely agree with what you said to Marina Del Rey. Adults w/ HFA and Asperhers offer the best window into how my child thinks and perceives the world. That is more valuable than gold to me.

ireland nicole,

I am near you, down in New Braunfels, and I am also looking for support groups. There are lots there in Austin. I know a brand new meetup group just formed for HFA/Asperger's kids. A lot of my valuable support comes from Austin area people because down here it is HORRIBLE. Lack of support, etc. I went to the Any Baby Can HFA group and didn't feel like I/we fit in at all. :sad2:

Let me know if you find a good group in this area!

:goodvibes

Marina Del Rey,

Welcome, your first and second hand perceptions are very helpful to the NT parents of spectrum children, so I hope you continue for post (I facilitate and Aspergers/HFA advocacy and support group and once we broadened it to include adults on the it made a big difference).

Again welcome and thank you

bookwormde

Aw! Thank you so much for the warm welcome, and equal thanks to you, ireland_nicole! I came across this board by complete accident while looking up things, at first wondering why there was an influx of Disney icons here. :upsidedow I definitely do plan on sticking around and helping the best I can.

Aw! Thank you so much for the warm welcome, and equal thanks to you, ireland_nicole! I came across this board by complete accident while looking up things, at first wondering why there was an influx of Disney icons here. :upsidedow I definitely do plan on sticking around and helping the best I can.

:thumbsup2:goodvibes

First let me tell you that I read the GAC thread and Autism threads and found them very helpful but I personally found this Dis er's :worship: KathyRN137 :worship: TP's invaluable as far as finding tips and tricks and getting some ideas for navigating the parks with my ASD son.
KathyRN137 has lots of very practical hints.:thumbsup2
One of her trip report threads is linked in post #3 of the disABILITIES FAQs, but she has been on several trips since then and has several more detailed trip reports.

I will second that the 3-D (4-D?) attractions might be something to watch out for. My son is also high-functioning autistic, and managed to brave the alien on the Great Movie Ride, Expedition Everest and Splash Mountain, but went into a panic during Mickey's PhilharMagic and Muppets 3-D. The 3-D effects really bothered him and we had to keep reminding him he could take off his 3-D glasses if he felt a all uncomfortable. It didn't even occur to me beforehand that sort of thing might be a potential problem.

Might your nieces, particularily the older one, benefit from a guide book? Birnbaums has lots of nice pictures, even if the text is beyond her. My DS always enjoys them, and even more text-heavy and adult oriented guides. He's quite a bit older than your nieces, but we have felt that they work really well for him, and help him decide what he would and would not like to do. Also those free DVDs from Disney are wonderful. He insists on getting one every year, and watches them repeatedly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter