Need the real answer on room requesting

buzzgirls&dad

DIS Veteran
When we make our room request I usually put upper floor pool view. In 2013 and 2014 we were given our request but in an ADA room. The configuration in a 1 BDRM villa is really different and the bathroom situation didn't work for us. We asked to be switched and both times we were but after a day or two. In 2014 the CM I was working with during the switch said to request NOT to get an ADA room. OK, so for 2015 I do that and great everything works out! So the other day I call to make my 2016 ressie and I ask that the room NOT be an ADA rm, upper floor pool view and the CM says it's against the law to put in any request that has to do with a medical issue. She says she can't even enter anything about being close to an elevator for mobility issues. Has this changed since last year? It's not a big deal if it has but something just didn't seem right. TIA

That doesn't sound right to me, but then again CMs are notorious for giving out wrong information. I would think it would be ok to request that and actually preferable because it frees up the ADA room for someone who might actually need it. I think you would have much better luck faxing in your request a month before your stay.

the CM says it's against the law to put in any request that has to do with a medical issue. She says she can't even enter anything about being close to an elevator for mobility issues.

As someone who has been making room requests due to medical issues for decades (including this year) that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. This sounds like a prime example of a CM in need of additional training. If I had had this CM on the phone I would have had some choice comments to make on the survey at the end of the call.

Make any request you want. Now, getting your request - that's a whole nuther thing.

As someone who has been making room requests due to medical issues for decades (including this year) that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. This sounds like a prime example of a CM in need of additional training. If I had had this CM on the phone I would have had some choice comments to make on the survey at the end of the call.

Make any request you want. Now, getting your request - that's a whole nuther thing.

No, it is Disney's legal responsibility under the HIPPA laws not to note, ask, discuss, or consider medical details.

If you have a medical issue that requires you to have a specific room or room type, that is fine, in fact it is required by ADA to have them make every reasonable effort to accommodate. However, they cannot note anything medical onto or into any of their computer systems. They can put "requests room near elevator" but they run into potential legal issues for "request room near elevator due to mobility issues" or anything that explains why you need the request. Legally, it is no one's business at Disney why you need what you are requesting. Per HIPPA, your ability to walk, sit, stand, dance on one foot, etc, is no one's business except yours. And even you cannot waive your rights to privacy on the matter.

The fact that is has been working for you in years past, is a sign that Disney has successfully tip-toed down the line between be accommodating under ADA and keeping you private in HIPPA. I'm certain that you tell your story to them, and they accommodate it. I doubt anywhere in any Disney system is it noted that you have a mobility issue, its likely just noted that you requested a room near an elevator.

What confuses people about HIPPA is that it doesn't just cover Disney telling random stangers about your medical issues, it also requires a company to limit internally who has access to your medical information. Since most companies don't want anything to do with dealing with HIPPA, they just don't collect the information, no info, no chance of a violation.

So that the company will not have to maintain security of protected health information as defined by HIPAA (the P is portability) and subsequent legislation, the company is electing not to collect it in general.

That is all well and good. But a guest is not breaking any law by making a room request, HIPPA or no HIPPA. Disney cannot require specific medical information, but a guest can certainly volunteer whatever information they want. What Disney chooses to do with that information is up to them. And please tell me how requesting NOT to have an ADA room violates HIPPA, especially when they have not cited a reason (medical or otherwise) for the request. It's no different than asking to NOT have a king bed, or to NOT have a pool view room.

Disney is not bound by hipaa. They are not a medical provider or covered entity (http://www.dw.ohio.gov/hipaa/tools/CEDefinition.pdf) and making a request has nothing to do with not telling the next person what you talked about. Which they could do and not get in trouble with hipaa bc they are not a medical provider. And since they dont tend to keep the defined identifiable info alongside medical info, it would be hard for a data breech to cause a hipaa problem.

And of course you can request a non HA room.

Op just call back.

Disney doesn't want notes from doctors because they don't care what the diagnosis is because that doesn't help them. All they need to know is what would help and the. They see how that can be accommodated. They don't care why a person is visually impaired; they care if it's a moving walkway issue or needing to be close to a stage etc. They don't care if autism is the diagnosis, but if it's something that can be helped by a stroller as wheelchair etc. they care HOW to help, not WHY to help.

None of which has to do with NOT wanting an HA room.

Sorry, but HIPAA does not apply in this situation. A guest/person/patient is welcome to share their own personal medical information with whomever they chose. HIPAA only pertains to doctors, nurses, employees of a hospital or recordkeeping companies, etc. who may have access to private information. If I chose to tell WDW that a member of my party has a mobility issue and request a room close to an elevator, there is no legal reason it cannot be noted in exactly those words.

It is my understanding that ADA rooms are now booked specifically and immediately removed from inventory. If one wants/needs an accessible room, it should be booked as such. An accessible room is not a "request" but a bookable category. People who are assigned an ADA room but did not book one, received that room because it was available.

OP -- I believe you found a mis-informed CM. Call back and make your requests again. However, be aware of how you word your request. What you posted above "I ask that the room NOT be an ADA rm, upper floor pool view" could be interpreted as not wanting any of those three items. Also, I suggest that you prioritize your requests -- do you not want an ADA room regardless of where it's located? Or would you take a pool view room on a lower floor? Would you take an upper floor ADA rm even if it's not pool view? Also, depending on the resort, "pool view" could be a bookable category unlikely to be granted without the related charge. And in the end -- all are just requests so any or all may or may not be accommodated when you get to WDW.

Enjoy your vacation!

This doesn't make sense. If you can't request a "non ADA" room, it would mean you couldn't request an "ADA" room. And if you can't do that, how on earth would anyone be able to communicate that they need that accommodation?

When we make our room request I usually put upper floor pool view. In 2013 and 2014 we were given our request but in an ADA room. The configuration in a 1 BDRM villa is really different and the bathroom situation didn't work for us. We asked to be switched and both times we were but after a day or two. In 2014 the CM I was working with during the switch said to request NOT to get an ADA room. OK, so for 2015 I do that and great everything works out! So the other day I call to make my 2016 ressie and I ask that the room NOT be an ADA rm, upper floor pool view and the CM says it's against the law to put in any request that has to do with a medical issue. She says she can't even enter anything about being close to an elevator for mobility issues. Has this changed since last year? It's not a big deal if it has but something just didn't seem right. TIA

You didn't make any medical issue requests. Non-ADA is not a medical issue, it's a convenience issue.

We had an ADA room at the Poly a few years ago and I hated the shower, so the last 2 years I specifically requested a non- ADA room and the they were glad to note it. In fact, I wasn't sure how to word the request and the CM is who called it a "non-ADA room".

Sorry, but HIPAA does not apply in this situation. A guest/person/patient is welcome to share their own personal medical information with whomever they chose. HIPAA only pertains to doctors, nurses, employees of a hospital or recordkeeping companies, etc. who may have access to private information. If I chose to tell WDW that a member of my party has a mobility issue and request a room close to an elevator, there is no legal reason it cannot be noted in exactly those words.

It is my understanding that ADA rooms are now booked specifically and immediately removed from inventory. If one wants/needs an accessible room, it should be booked as such. An accessible room is not a "request" but a bookable category. People who are assigned an ADA room but did not book one, received that room because it was available.

OP -- I believe you found a mis-informed CM. Call back and make your requests again. However, be aware of how you word your request. What you posted above "I ask that the room NOT be an ADA rm, upper floor pool view" could be interpreted as not wanting any of those three items. Also, I suggest that you prioritize your requests -- do you not want an ADA room regardless of where it's located? Or would you take a pool view room on a lower floor? Would you take an upper floor ADA rm even if it's not pool view? Also, depending on the resort, "pool view" could be a bookable category unlikely to be granted without the related charge. And in the end -- all are just requests so any or all may or may not be accommodated when you get to WDW.

Enjoy your vacation!

Like another poster stated, it is the HOW, and not the why. If a guest with a disability requests a room near an elevator, the CM's will add a request for a room near an elevator, they cannot put WHY they are asking for this request.

Like another poster stated, it is the HOW, and not the why. If a guest with a disability requests a room near an elevator, the CM's will add a request for a room near an elevator, they cannot put WHY they are asking for this request.

I believe you can request "for medical reasons". Not specific.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter