• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need Suggestions!! Resort Recon.....

PoohFan2435

Earning My Ears
I have been planning my & my family's 1st trip to WDW in Nov 2004 (I haven't been in 20 years). We are doing a big 10 day trip!!:Pinkbounc I have been so excited and telling MY Mom that I can't wait to go til Nov.2004. She has surprised me with a way to go in March for a few days. She has been planning a trip to visit a friend in FLA (about 45 min away from WDW). She has gotten me invited to stay at her friend's house and I am dropping in for 3 days to do resort recon.(We will not be doing parks, since funds are an issue and am saving EVERYTHING for our Nov. trip). I will be checking out resorts to see where would be the BEST place for our family in Nov. Am looking mainly at AKL, WL, CBR, CSR, since I can't really afford the high end Deluxe and will have DH and 2 DS on our Nov. trip.

After all of this explaination, my question is: I will have 3 days to tour any resorts and DTD...any suggestions on resort restaraunts to try..time frames to allow for resort explores or any other tips?? Last time I went, EPCOT was set to open in 2 months!!

Congrats on your trips. Things have certainly changed since you were last there.

For your recon trip, take your time and walk around each of those resorts. I love WL (so convenient for MK) and AKL (think your kids would love to view the animals if you stayed there in Nov.). CBR and CSR are great as well. All of the resorts are wonderful and all have there pro's and con's. You may want to make a list of the one's you find when you visit. These are some of the ones I've noticed.

AKL - (haven't stayed here but toured resort on more than one occasion) pro view of animals, great rest, nice rooms and beautiful pool. con - its not near any of the parks other than AK so you must allow extra time to move around to the parks.

WL - great location, beautiful resort, nice rooms and rest. Atmosphere really is the capture at this resort. Cons - buses have been known to be slow and the pool is always crowded (even at times in the offseason).

CBR - nice large resort, improved food court, nice pool areas and has quiet pools if don't want to swim with others, also romantic setting if walking at night - can see fireworks going off from Epcot and easy to reach DTD Cons large resort - if your room is at the opposite end of the resort you'll have a walk to the main house just for basic items.

CSR - newer resort (few years old at this point but not as old as the rest). I have not stayed here either but have toured and thought the grounds were great (esp. at night when all is lit up). Very good food court (different offerings) and rest. Great fun pool area and didn't see anyone in the quiet pools. Cons - this definately has a more business atmosphere do to convention crowd. This resort has to be bigger than CBR as it seems to take forever to walk around it. Also food is a bite pricer at this resort due to that convention crowd.

Take notes on what you loved and what you weren't so fond of. Additionally,please walk around each resort and keep in mind that when you visit the parks you'll be walking several miles and that you'll have that additional walk everyday at least twice if not more for drinks, snacks, pools or whatever. It is easy to walk a mile at the resorts themselves.

As for rest. that depends on your taste. Check out a site called wdwig.com. That is Deb Wills site and she list just about a menu for any rest. on Disney's property including all the resorts as well as the prices for same.

Lastly, even when you make up your mind regarding which resort you want to stay at, wait until late spring to make your ressie's as you never know what type of package deal that Disney will come out with. I am going on the FTP (great price) this year and pushed my vacation up til Nov. (i usually go in Dec.) because it was a great deal.

Sorry this got long but trust me when your there your going to be wowwed by what you find.

I have stayed at CBR, CSR, and AKL. I think AKL wins!!!! It is sooooooo incredible!!!! There is only one bus stop and no sharing! Boma and Jiko are YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as far as $$$$ wise, CSR is our favorite. Happy planning!!!!

My two cents: AKL and WL are well worth the extra dollars over CSR and CBR--although both of those are nice. Just not really in the same league. Good luck and have a blast!

We recommend California Grille, Citricos, Flying Fish and Chefs de France for dinner. Skip lunch. Don't forget your PS reservations, up to 90 days in advance.

We love CBR. If you get a chance Fultons at DTD is a great place to eat.

If you have any questions about CBR please follow the links below.

Thank you all for your advice, especially Yecats for the great breakdown. As I have obviously not done any resort touring before, about how much time would you plan for visiting, say AK or WL (since everyone raves about them!). We ARE planning to eat at Boma for dinner one night. Just looking for a ballpark time frame (1 hour or 3??)

I would love to see EVERY resort, but realistically know I can't:(

You didn't mention how old your children were...however, the AKL and the WL both have bunk beds. We stayed at the WL this past Feb, and loved it!! If you choose this resort, you can ask when you are checking in to be a flag family one day of your trip. This is when you get to go to the roof and help with the flags!! I hope we can do this on our upcoming trip. Also, one thing to mention is that when we went in Feb, there was only a $20 difference in price between the moderate hotels and the AKL and/or the WL. For $20 per night, I took the WL over POR. Also at WL you have boat transportation to MK and to CR. We took the boat to CR and took the monorail to MK one day, our kids loved it. We also took the boat over to Fort Wilderness to the petting zoo and to the Hoop De Doo Review. If you like a dinner show type event, I highly recommend this one!! Well, that's my two cents...

Sherri

Hi PoohFan2435 WDW trip planning is so much fun and you get to actually go there to check out the resorts. You are going to have the best time!

DH and I stayed at AKL last January and we spent an entire day just at the resort--it's practically a theme park all by itself. Even the lobby is an "attraction." You could easily spend 3-4 hours there, not counting dinner. I'm not sure how much time you're going to have, but here are some things you can do there:

(1) Walk all around the resort to the different animal-viewing areas. There are 3 different savannahs with different animals on them. Just walk down the corridors, stop at the viewing areas and enjoy. Also, make sure to walk to the ends of the corridors and walk down the outside staircases, which are superb viewing areas. Just to let you know, there are different animals out and about at different times of day--just ask any CM and they'll be more than helpful.

(2) Go by the pool area. The pool is spectacular. Also the flamingo area is nearby. Also you'll get to check out the Mara, which is AKL's counter-service place.

(3) If there's no line at the front desk, you might want to ask to see a room. If they're not busy, odds are they'll accommodate you with a quick look-see. Anyway, it doesn't hurt to ask.

I've never stayed at WL, but we looked around there last year--and a front desk CM did give us a look at a room, so I know if they're not busy, they'll do that for you. Make sure to explore the lobby and pool areas at WL too. WL is in/near Ft. Wilderness, which is kind of a theme park itself (and there's no admission). Check out the petting zoo, and if you have the time, you can rent bikes or a golf cart and zoom around Ft. Wilderness, where there's lots of wildlife to see (including beautiful deer). You can also see the cabins--maybe you'd like to consider them as a place to stay too. There's a terrific buffet restaurant in Ft. Wilderness (not that far from WL, btw) called Trail's End. You might want to consider lunch or dinner there.

Don't know about CSR and CBR, but you've got lots of good info from other posters on that.

Have fun!

--miffy--

PS: The only other resort you might want to consider looking at is the Swan/Dolphin (which are walking distance to Epcot and MGM), especially if you're eligible for their nurse/teacher/government discount, which is substantial. And while you're there, you can get in a game of mini-golf at Fantasia!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter