Need Suggestions for 14 y/o Boy at the Parks

tx2tn

"What fortuitous circumstance be this"
We are going to WDW this September. Our Group will consist of 6 Adults, 2- 7 y/o. 1- 14 y/o.

The 14 y/o is concerned that he will be the odd man out without anyone close to his age to "hang out" with.

Does anyone have suggestions on what we could do for/with him to make him feel not so out of place?

Thanks

Everyone should just take turn sitting together on rides, break it up so that everyone ( Adults and the 14yr) sit alone sometimes. Don't make a big deal out of it.

Don't put him at the kids tables with the 7 years old, that is a fate worse than death to a 14 year old.

He is not there to watch, or take care of the 7 year olds, not that he shouldn't help out... Just not constantly watching them..

Maybe someone could just kinda spend some one on one time with him... like ride all the mountains, or something he is interested in... or even a one on one lunch...

If possible, I would consider bringing a friend along. My DS13 brought a friend two summers ago and they had an absolute blast together. If that isn't possible, I would consider having the 14-year old and one or two of the adults to break off and do something special with the teen so he isn't tagging along with the 7-year olds the whole time. It could be thrill rides in the parks (if he likes those) or maybe a special activity? There isn't a lot open right now (could change by your trip), but there are some fishing excursions out of a few of the resorts and an archery experience at Ft. W if that would interest him.

Our teen, who goes with just his Dad & I, gets into helping choose where we eat—especially table service/sit down. This helps him feel like he’s helping make some of the decisions and gives him something additional to look forward to. We watch bloggers videos together about the various places beforehand and look at their menu.

Check out DFB snack lists on YouTube and pick out some must do snacks. Make sure to get his input on rides or restaurants he’s most interested in. Is he into Star Wars? Maybe splurge on a lightsaber or droid. Also agree about bringing a friend if possible!

I am seconding three things others have said: Have one adult or rotate adults going with him on the thrill rides-while I love the calmer rides I also love the thrill rides and thats an age where it is right in the middle-you can even rotate based off the ride ( an example is my aunt cannot handle certain rides based off motion sickness so when I was 9 I was not brave enough to conquer Star Tours so my aunt who has motion sickness issues stayed with me outside at backlot express to get a snack and we got to meet all the soap opera actors coming out of the backstage area because it was Soap Opera weekends-did I know who they were at that age-no. But they were all very nice and we have some awesome pictures); let him help in reserving dining because it could be something really fun for him to research; and please do not make him babysit. As the oddball out with age in my family, even though we never went to disney or big theme parks as a big group, it still sucked being the odd one out a good amount of the time because a good chunk of it I became the default babysitter or at the very least the default take this younger cousin to the bathroom while we wait to get xyz please.

Another thing is maybe you all do the droid build in Galaxy's Edge. As much as I'd like to suggest letting the 14 year old go to Savi's and build a lightsaber, I can forsee a potential issue with the young ones. I also suggest doing the animation class at Rafiki's Planet watch in AK if it is still there. Also the Wilderness explorer badges could be fun for him at AK too if they are still there.

When my kids were that age, I allowed them to take a friend and go off on their own in the park. My kids did not have cell phones at that age (they are now 34, 32 and 28) so we would do a meet up check in every so often. This allowed them to feel independent, yet I still had a general idea of their agenda.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter