Need stateroom category advice

kbkids

<font color=cc0066>Loves the World in February<br>
This will be our first cruise, and we're doing the 3 night cruise. I went through two different travel agencies to get a quote, and I'm a little concerned about what I was told. Just wanted to verify with you guys if this sounded right.

At one site, I requested category 12 for 4 people and was quoted a great rate.

At the second site, I tried to do the same and was prompted that category 12 rooms only slept 3. I keyed in category 11 and was given a quote that was about $200 more than the first one.

I emailed the first site and specifically asked about the category 12 situtation. She said that there were a just a handful of rooms in category 12 that slept 4 but that most likely, we would be bumped to category 11 at no extra charge.

Of course, I love saving the $200, but I'm terrified of getting there and ending up with a room that's only going to sleep 3. Our kids are young, so we could make it work. But I'd much rather be in one that will sleep 4. Does her response sound right?

kbkids said:
This will be our first cruise, and we're doing the 3 night cruise. I went through two different travel agencies to get a quote, and I'm a little concerned about what I was told. Just wanted to verify with you guys if this sounded right.

At one site, I requested category 12 for 4 people and was quoted a great rate.

At the second site, I tried to do the same and was prompted that category 12 rooms only slept 3. I keyed in category 11 and was given a quote that was about $200 more than the first one.

I emailed the first site and specifically asked about the category 12 situtation. She said that there were a just a handful of rooms in category 12 that slept 4 but that most likely, we would be bumped to category 11 at no extra charge.

Of course, I love saving the $200, but I'm terrified of getting there and ending up with a room that's only going to sleep 3. Our kids are young, so we could make it work. But I'd much rather be in one that will sleep 4. Does her response sound right?

If there are 4 in your party DCL will not allow you to reserve a stateroom that holds only 3.

The cat 12's do only sleep 3...ALL of them...But you can at times book the room...GTY...and will be upgraded to at least a Cat 11. The one and only way to make sure you get an upgrade :). We did this on our first cruise. Although when we booked the cat 12 we had NO idea it only slept 3...matter of fact I didn't even find out until a couple months before our sail date. So you don't need to worry about the four of you being stuck and stuffed into a room that only sleeps 3...Disney won't have it that way. Everyone MUST have their own bed...even babies. So if your going to be happy with the cat 12...that will really be at least a cat 11...book the cheeper rate (Cat 12)...and enjoy. :goodvibes

scrapperjill said:
The cat 12's do only sleep 3...ALL of them...But you can at times book the room...GTY...and will be upgraded to at least a Cat 11. The one and only way to make sure you get an upgrade :). We did this on our first cruise. Although when we booked the cat 12 we had NO idea it only slept 3...matter of fact I didn't even find out until a couple months before our sail date. So you don't need to worry about the four of you being stuck and stuffed into a room that only sleeps 3...Disney won't have it that way. Everyone MUST have their own bed...even babies. So if your going to be happy with the cat 12...that will really be at least a cat 11...book the cheeper rate (Cat 12)...and enjoy. :goodvibes

It is booked GTY (What does that mean???) That's the same response she gave me, "Disney wouldn't allow the reservation if they didn't have a room for 4." I feel better - just seemed odd to me.

GTY is short for guarantee--basically, your cat. of stateroom is guaranteed, but you won't have a specific room number.

DCL has been doing this for the past year or so. If they let you book a room for 4 they will put you in one for four in the end. Enjoy the savings! :)

Thanks guys - I was so worried about this TA not knowing what she was talking about - but looks like she does. :) When will we know our room number then?

GTY means..your gauranteed to get at least a room in the cat that you book if not better...GTY also means you don't pick which room you get...but leave it up to DCL to pick for you. You may not know the room number until you actually get your docs..just weeks before you sail....But look at it this way (this is the way I thought of the wait)...the longer it takes them (DCL) to pick a room for you...just maybe better chances of an upgrade. Of course if you book a cat 12 GTY for four people...you will be upgraded to at least a cat 11. We booked Cat 12 GTY...and were upgraded to a cat 10 when we got our documents...then suprise just before we left our TA called to let us know we were upgraded again...to a cat 8... :goodvibes

I am curious how this works on the land/sea pkg since the resort you stay at in WDW is determined by your ship category. So if you book a Cat 12, I assume you are in the Value resorts, but if they upgrade you to Cat 8, does this change your WDW resort?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter