• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need something to do in So Cal besides theme parks/beaches for 1 day

VegasMike21

<font color=blue>I couldn't stop laughing when the
Ok I'm heading to So Cal in July to catch a Yankees/Angels game on a Friday night. I'm looking for something to do in So Cal on a Saturday besides going to the beach or any theme parks. We did the Disney/Universal/Sea World/Knotts thing the past two years. Any ideas on what to do in So Cal for a spare day? Thanks.

If you can head down to San Diego, the San Diego Zoo and the museums of Balboa Park are pretty amazing. If you can head east, the anza-borrego desert and getting pie from Julian is cool. Have fun!

San Diego Wild Animal Park (in Escondido, not San Diego) is great in that it's not really a theme park or zoo, more like going on a safari.

In Los Angeles, there's La Brea Tar Pits/Page Fossil Museum ...or The Griffith Observatory (next door is the Los Angeles Zoo and the Wild West Museum)........

What age are the kids? The Museum of Natural History (dinosaurs) is down the street from The Science Center ....both are great for 8 to 13 year olds.

was to the san diego zoo in 07 and last year we went the the animal park over there. im thinking about doing some of the hollywood stuff since we haven't done that stuff before.

Well, here a few ideas that I thought of:

You could go to Catalina. There are various tours you can take (glass bottom boat tours for example) and I think you can rent a golf cart to drive around the island.

Or you could go up to Big Bear in the mountains. There's lots of shops and restaurants and there is Big Bear Lake with boat tours (no swimming in the lake though).

Palm Springs has the Arial Tramway. It takes you way up to the top of this mountain where there are hiking trails and there is also a couple of restaurants up there. It's much cooler up there than down below in Palm Springs. We went up in May and there was still snow on the mountain and we were glad to have our coats even though it was pretty hot down at the bottom.

Oh, and one thing to do in San Diego that's a little different is take a tour of the USS Midway aircraft carrier. DH and I both thought it was very interesting even though we're not big military/airplane buffs or anything.

Catalina is absolutely the way to go!:thumbsup2 In fact, if you have not already looked at this Catalina thread, here is the link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2152282. I posted some pictures and also gave some info about what to do there and how to get the Free Visitors Guide/Vacation Planner/magazine.

It is a great one-day (or more) trip, and instead of the glass bottom boat, I would recommend the Sub (the semi-submersible) as you actually can see more sea life and sharks and things. I also recommend the Flying Fish tour and the Cruise to Seal Rock. Renting a golf cart is GREAT!!!

I live in the Hollywood/Beverly Hills/Miracle Mile area - near LACMA and the Tar Pits and the Farmers Market and Rodeo Drive and Hollywood Boulevard - and I STILL say skip all of that and do Catalina. It is well worth it.

Catalina is absolutely the way to go!:thumbsup2 In fact, if you have not already looked at this Catalina thread, here is the link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2152282. I posted some pictures and also gave some info about what to do there and how to get the Free Visitors Guide/Vacation Planner/magazine.

It is a great one-day (or more) trip, and instead of the glass bottom boat, I would recommend the Sub (the semi-submersible) as you actually can see more sea life and sharks and things. I also recommend the Flying Fish tour and the Cruise to Seal Rock. Renting a golf cart is GREAT!!!

I live in the Hollywood/Beverly Hills/Miracle Mile area - near LACMA and the Tar Pits and the Farmers Market and Rodeo Drive and Hollywood Boulevard - and I STILL say skip all of that and do Catalina. It is well worth it.

Oooh, I'll have to remember to try the subs at catalina if I go again. I don't actually have much experience over there but I knew they had different types of boat tours and a friend of ours said they had fun with the golf carts when they went. Admittedly, the last (and only) time I went to Catalina was back in high school and we were staying at one of the camps and only went to Avalon for a few hours so no tours or golf carts for us.

was to the san diego zoo in 07 and last year we went the the animal park over there. im thinking about doing some of the hollywood stuff since we haven't done that stuff before.
Since you want to do the Hollywood stuff, that's
what I suggest you doing.

Stop at the Hollywood/Highland complex, see the
Chinese and El Capitan theaters, wander the walk
of fame. Head down to Melrose Ave. for some
funky window shopping - making a stop at Pink's
for lunch.

Check out the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. Sounds
a little odd? It's a great place with some very famous
grave sites.

Then finish your day with a trip to the Griffith
Observatory for an amazing sunset and view of the
Hollywood sign.

Since you want to do the Hollywood stuff, that's
what I suggest you doing.

Stop at the Hollywood/Highland complex, see the
Chinese and El Capitan theaters, wander the walk
of fame. Head down to Melrose Ave. for some
funky window shopping - making a stop at Pink's
for lunch.

Check out the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. Sounds
a little odd? It's a great place with some very famous
grave sites.

Then finish your day with a trip to the Griffith
Observatory for an amazing sunset and view of the
Hollywood sign.

Pinks has was on my So Cal itinerary last year and I never made it there. I really want to try that place so bad. Hopefully this time I'll make it there.

If you are going in July, I read that the Barnum and Bailey circus will be at the Honda Center (anaheim) from I think,,,july 16-23. I would check Ticketmaster. I want to take my lil one on our July trip. I have not seen that circus since i was little. I remember it was awesome.

Don't have anything to add, but loved the Pageant of the Masters! Saw this while visiting a couple of years ago.
Christine

Go on a cruise of the San Diego harbor! It's really nice! You can choose between an hour cruise and some other stuff in between to a nice dinner cruise on the harbor. It's very romantic and fun!

http://www.sdhe.com/

Go on a cruise of the San Diego harbor! It's really nice! You can choose between an hour cruise and some other stuff in between to a nice dinner cruise on the harbor. It's very romantic and fun!

http://www.sdhe.com/

Sounds nice...might have to take that into consideration. Only thing that I didn't like was the menu, it said if you wanted the steak it was cooked to medium. I always like my steaks well done.

Free except for parking ( may need a parking reservation which you can do on-line). Not just great art, but a beautiful site with fabulous views

And I 2nd the Grififth Observatory and El Capitan suggestions...

The Long Beach Aquarium is also a really good one - good for a few hours. The Queen Mary is there too - but they do charge admission.

Oh - and at least drive by Walt Disney Hall if you're a disney fan. It is unbelieveable!! They do tours of the inside too - or if you're lucky on timing, kids concerts a few saturdays each year

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter