• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need some soothing...All Star Movies

lilys.mom

DIS Veteran
I just recently had to switch my trip from the first of March staying at CBR with free dining. To April 9 at All Star Movies with Kids Stay and Play free and added dining plan.

This will only be our second trip and we have only stayed at CBR I am such a routine person and it scares me thinking of someplace new. I picked movies because with dining plan added it is same price as my orginal trip I had booked I really didnt want to pay anymore. I also picked movies because I think the theming will appeal more to my DD who is 4. We have a preferred room ...but I keep hearing some bad things.....

Anyone stayed here recently.....any input or good things about the place?

I keep telling myself we really arent in the room much and we really arent just to sleep pretty much.

Thanks.

We have stayed at AKL, CBR, POFQ, ASmusic, sports and movies, and Pop. For the values I love Movies. The theming, pools, and food court are all reasons that we like it here. We always get a preferred room though. I hate walking a long ways to eat or get to the bus. The rooms are a bit smaller than a moderate but our family of four does just fine! They show movies by the pool in the evening (weather permitting) and can be really fun for the kids. Lots of over the top movie icons that kids will love and some great picture opportunities. I think that you will like this resort.

My family loves Movies, it is our favorite place to stay. I think you will be fine if it is the better deal for you and your kids will love the theming. That is what we like about it is it gives us the Disney feel even when we are at the resort. The rooms are a little smaller than a moderate but if you are like us and just use your room to crash at night and rest I don't think it will make that big of a difference, we have stayed at POFQ and we really didn't think the difference in size was enough to make a difference. The food court has a good variety and they are really good about working with you on the dining plan. We have never had any major issues with the buses if you use those except leaving the parks at closing it is usually a wait and packed buses. I have heard some people complain about noise and hearing what goes on in the rooms next door but we have never had any trouble with this. My only complaint is it is time for ASMovies rooms to get a refurb, but it is not like that are in disrepair or anything they are clean and well maintained they are just starting to show their age.

I have stayed at nearly every resort on property, except some of the DVC resorts, but have visited/dined at all of them. I stayed at ASMo in 2010.

I won't lie, I DO prefer the deluxe resorts if I can afford it, but after that, my second choice is usually the values over the mods.

A key benefit of the mods is that you waste less time walking around, especially if you have preferred location. You also waste far less time using the Disney transportation. The mods are just very slow and CBR is huge. Obviously, the savings is another benefit. I HATED that the main office of CBR was SO FAR away! once we checked-in I didn't want to go back - even if it is prettier than the lobby of the AllStars.

All Disney resorts are super clean. If you are up late at night, or hanging around the resort in the afternoons, you will likely see someone power washing all public areas. I can't confirm for certain that it absolutely happens every day, but I've seen them cleaning enough times to say I'm fairly certain it happens every day.

I also prefer the food court at the All Stars. I think one of my favorites is that you can get to any of the AS food courts quickly. Last time I stayed there, ASMu had omlettes to order in the a.m. That's the best breakfast option anywhere on property! I don't know of any other resort that offers that, except maybe CSR. The food courts at the AS are more efficiently organized than the one at CBR, if they have different theming, and no sit down restaurant.

I do think the pool at CBR is better than the AS pools, and I like having a few of the room amenities at the mods (fridge and coffee maker). The way to get around the lack of coffee maker is to get the resort refillable mugs. I simply send DH to get coffee while I shower (it takes me longer to get ready overall, and he doesn't mind stepping out before he's showered.) Then we go together for breaksfast and get our second cup of coffee - or to save time some days - DH will pick up breakfast, too.

Another way to get around teh coffee maker is if you have a car and stop at Walmart or some place similar. You can get a coffee maker for like $15. (You'll also need disposible paper cups for hot drinks) Some folks also have a travel size coffee maker that makes one cup at a time. I think those go for around $20. I don't have one.

However, of all the AS, the pool at ASMo is actually VERY cute. Truth be told, you little one will probably like it FAR better than the one at CBR! the little splash area is VERY cute for tikes. It's just the adults who will miss the hot tub and water slide maybe. Nevertheless, the walk between the AS resorts is very short. (It's far shorter than it looks, really! I don't know how they create the illusion the resorts are far apart, but they are really quite close) If you get sick of the pools at ASMo- you can EASILY hop over to the ASMu or ASports pools.

I love all the wlaking of WDW, but I don't like walking back and forth across my resort time and again. CBR is the MOST spread out of the resorts! I much prefer the compact /close location of ASMo preferred rooms! I also LIKE how the value resorts do the bus queues. the mods have a mob scene thing; I find it mildly annoying that late comers can 'cut' in front of those who have been waiting longer. At the values, you don't get benches or an overhang, but you DO get a line! I like teh line much better.

Another thing you'll likely get by going in April; better weather. I was at WDW March first last year and it was COLD! (unseasonably cold, but REALLY cold!) Never any guarentees on FLA weather, but the start of April is usually very nice weather in Orlando. The start of March can be fairly nice, but the start of April is more my ideal. In Feb./early March the norm is to have it warm in afternoons (shorts), but cold enough at night that I want long pants (that means a trip back to the room!) (you need a jacket most mornings) In April, highs hit around 78-80, lows 70-65. That means it's warm enough at night to stay in shorts and skip carrying the jacket. Last March 1st, we were wearing winter coats/hats/gloves/four layers most days! It was COLD!

Last, I think it's fun to check out the theming at each resorts. The values aren't quite as sophisticated as the mods, but your daughter will likely love 'discovering' a new resort. I've also gotten excellent service at the values.

:love:

I'm glad to hear the positive reports. I will be staying there next month for the half marathon.

We stayed at ASMo in September. We were worried based on some things that we had heard, but everything was fine! We had a preferred room in the Toy Story section. I actually requested this section b/c my oldest DS is a huge Toy Story fan.

We stayed at CBR once years ago and didn't really care for it. We liked ASMo better, mainly b/c of the theming.

Our DS loved all of the giant Toy Story items,the green army men stairs, etc. The rooms are a bit cramped and probably are in need of an update, but are way better than some places. We would stay there again.

Your 4 year old will probably love it. We stayed there when our kids were 4 and 6 and they loved the theming and we ate a decent amount at the food court because it worked for their sleep schedules schedules. Having more options for meals was a good thing. I hated lining up for the buses in the rope area. The people filling up all kind of cups old disney, bowls, zip loc baggies, at the drink station bugged me and I've only ever seen that at the Values (except old cups seen those even at Deluxes). The general noise and chaos at the resort wore at me after busy park days. The cement floors under indoor/outdoor carpet I didn't like. Very very very long lines at the desk when you check in or need anything. We've stayed at all levels. Now I really will only stay at the Values for 1 night at the beginning/end of trip but for our first trip when we didn't have other experiences to compare it was fine. Not trying to be a downer just our honest feelings that after staying at higher levels it was hard to go back.

I am feeling better about it. Thanks everyone. I also like the idea of there being a line for buses and I agree the buses at CBR took forever and like you said if you get there first no one can jump in front of you.

You DD will LOVE ASMo....I have stayed at Deluxe, Value, and Moderate, and like a PP stated, I do prefer deluxe if I can swing it, but I'm happy just to go, no matter where I stay.

I would choose ASMo over ANY Value for my kids b/c they simply love it. And unless your DD has a special love for Dalmations, try to get Toy Story. Enjoy!:)

I've stayed at the ASMovies and loved it. We had a preferred room near the pool...it was a little noisy because a bunch of kids were in the pool late, but it wasn't unbearable. The food court is the best of all the All Stars, and they show a movie at the pool in the evening.

I had really good service there and highly recommend it.

Have fun!!!

We have stayed at all the values at ASMO is my families favorite. We just stayed there last April in the Fantasia building. We are kind of opposite of you this April we will be staying at CBR. I'm still going back an forth with my decision. My ds wants to stay at in the pirate room this time. So I booked it but with price difference of the values I'm having a hard time justifing it. We don't spend alot of time at the resorts so I'm having a hard time with it. But, for now we have CBR booked but may change. Plus with us being at the pirate rooms we have a longer walk to FOOD COURT and main pool and not sure how well that will work. I have stayed at CBR before but had a preferred building!:confused3

This is where I stay this last August & will be returning next August
if you think of the value as the Motel 6 or Super 8 line of hotel then it is fine just alot better theming. If you are a person who won't stay in a motel 6 then try to change back.

Values are great for a place to sleep, shower & change - if you aren't going to spend alot of time in the hotel then they are perfect - We loved it

I have to admit I really love the theming (think the new value is going to be just like this one) - I scrap book - I have 7 double page lay outs for the hotel (got to figure Buzz, Woody, Dogs, Mickey, RC, Duck area, pool besides room)

It really makes you feel like you are still apart of the magic

Thankyou so much for that wonderful information. I am planning to book ASMo as soon as the brochures come out here in England, and like other disers i had read different reports. Probably wouldn't have stopped me choosing all stars tho - its just nice to have some positives!

I think you will be pleased with ALSMo. We stayed there on our 1st trip and out DD loved it! It's very Disney with the huge Toy Story and Dalmations icones. It's very bright and colorful.

We had no problems with the bus service, except about an hour before rope drop. When we were there (2002) initially buses would pick up at the other All Star resorts and last at Movies. I think on 2 occasions we had to wait for another bus, but when it came, it was exclusively for ALSMO guests.

The food court offered a good selection, was efficient and clean. It could get very noisy, especially at breakfast and dinner. We usually grabbed our food and took it to the room.

Our room location was in the Fantasia section, Building 5 on the top floor facing the perking lot and greenery. Not the best view, but to be so clost to the pool and main building, yet be so quiet was great. It literally was a 2-3 minute walk from the room to the check in area.

The pool area was nice and clean. Only drawback was no towel service.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. It was a great value for the cost. If you're looking for the Disney touch in a resort that's more compact, ALSMO is the place!!!

Enjoy your trip!:banana:

We have stayed in the Movies 3 times (our last trip being Oct 2010) and have not had a problem. I always get the preferred room, and request Toy Story as they are close to food court and main pool. Kids will love the decor (heck, I do, too!) and once you are there, take time to walk around the whole resort and see all the great building decorations (lots of great photo ops!!!) Have never had a problem with the bus service, except for going Downtown, which seems to take forever. LOVE this hotel, but as others have said, the rooms are just basic, but that is just fine with us, as we can spend $ on other things.

Just wanted to throw this out there to speculate. Does anyone think that WDW hasn't refurbed AS Movies (in spite of many reviews that say it could use one) because they feel that the appeal of the theming is enough to get people to stay there? I even noticed that with some of the recent room only discount promotions that the room discount for AS Movies is 5% lower than the other values (e.g. 20% as opposed to a 25% discount), which may indicate that there is a high demand for this resort.

Just wanted to throw this out there to speculate. Does anyone think that WDW hasn't refurbed AS Movies (in spite of many reviews that say it could use one) because they feel that the appeal of the theming is enough to get people to stay there? I even noticed that with some of the recent room only discount promotions that the room discount for AS Movies is 5% lower than the other values (e.g. 20% as opposed to a 25% discount), which may indicate that there is a high demand for this resort.

I think you may have a point. We stayed at ASMo in 2008 and it was the worst Disney resort we have ever stayed at in our 11 years of coming there. We will stick with Pop or any of the other values, or CSR until ASMo is refurbished. It was extremely run down compared to the others.

This is where I stay this last August & will be returning next August
if you think of the value as the Motel 6 or Super 8 line of hotel then it is fine just alot better theming. If you are a person who won't stay in a motel 6 then try to change back.

Values are great for a place to sleep, shower & change - if you aren't going to spend alot of time in the hotel then they are perfect - We loved it

I have to admit I really love the theming (think the new value is going to be just like this one) - I scrap book - I have 7 double page lay outs for the hotel (got to figure Buzz, Woody, Dogs, Mickey, RC, Duck area, pool besides room)

It really makes you feel like you are still apart of the magic

Ok well no offense to anyone who will..but we personally wouldnt stop and stay at a Motel 6 or Super 8..
Is it really that bad?????

I was there just last AUGUST and in a preferred room. It was GREAT! The room was in very good condition. If you are concerned about noise, as for a top floor room NOT overlooking a pool. I think you will like teh food court better than CBR--more choices. Relax and have a GREAT vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter