Need some preliminary info./opinions about visiting WDW (married couple w/no kids)...

So, Magical Express is the shuttle from the airport to WDW, right? If not, please correct me. Is there a fee for that, btw, or do you just tip the drivers?

Yes, it is the suttle service from OIA to WDW.
No, there is no fee.
Tipping someone else will answer.

Yep. Magical Express is free, round-trip shuttle... If you were staying at S&D, you could pay for a shuttle from Mears, i want to say it's $20-25/person/way. Tipping is optional on DME (I never have, but if they handled any luggage for me, I would.)

Thanks for the responses! I agree that if they handle my luggage, I should tip them.

Oh! Luggage! That's the other thing with Magical Express - you can tag your luggage at your home airport, and then you don't have to go to baggage claim. You'll deplane, go to the DME bus, and your luggage is delivered directly to your room (you don't have to be there.) I looove that feature, it's worth staying onsite for me (along with the other things I love about onsite.) Again, the value may be more or less for you!

Oh! Luggage! That's the other thing with Magical Express - you can tag your luggage at your home airport, and then you don't have to go to baggage claim. You'll deplane, go to the DME bus, and your luggage is delivered directly to your room (you don't have to be there.) I looove that feature, it's worth staying onsite for me (along with the other things I love about onsite.) Again, the value may be more or less for you!

Wow, really?!

That's really cool.

Another thing I'd like some general timing information on is how far in advance you can book hotel rooms. Also, how far in advance do people generally get tickets for WDW? I see for FP+ and ADRs that you will at least need to have tickets 60 days out, yes?

You can make ADRs at 180 days + 10.
FP+ at 60 days if you have your room reservation and park tickets linked to your MDE account.
If no room reservation but do have park tickets you can make FP+ at 7 days before visiting.

Oh yes, that's right, 6 MONTHS. I knew that, for heaven's sake.

What is "MDE"? I have an account on Disney.com for reservations for Disneyland already, is it similar (but for way more things)?

This is officially my first foray onto this side of the forums! How exciting! Anyway, I am looking to start planning a trip to WDW in 2017 and was hoping for some general(ish) advice to get me started. Any help from you lovely WDW vets would be GREATLY appreciated. We live in the Las Vegas, NV area, so DLR is very convenient for us and we love it, but I want to take a big trip to WDW and experience that resort as well. I am very aware of the major differences between the resorts, so no worries there. Some of the topics I was hoping to get a helping “push” with are:

Days in the parks: I was thinking of one day in each of the following parks (we don’t do water parks, so I’m not really interesting in those, even though I’m sure they are awesome)- Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios. I know that there are many that will find my itinerary not long enough, and I understand, but of the four, do one or two maybe beg for another day? In your opinion, which one(s) would that be and why?

Where to stay: If I’m doing this, I’m staying on property. This isn’t DLR, where the rooms at all three hotels are outrageous, so please tell me where you would stay if you wanted a magical time, but to not totally break the bank. I don’t mind to splurge, but I don’t want to spend an obscene amount of money, either. I saw some info. about the Port Orleans French Quarter and it looked interesting. Also, proximity to the parks is important to me. I’d rather be closer than farther away, tbh. I still realize that transportation will be necessary as WDW is so large. I also understand that there are different tiers of resorts at WDW for different price points. Let’s stay out of the top tier, lol.

Car Rental: Yes or no?: If we fly into Orlando does it make more sense to take a shuttle to WDW than rent a car? If we do take a shuttle, are there car rental places near WDW that we can get to in order to rent a car later in our trip (which will probably be a week long absence from work, leaving on a Saturday and returning the 2nd Sunday after)? I haven’t been to Florida in forever and I want to spend a couple of days at the beach also if I’m flying across the country. My thought is to start out at WDW and then end up at the beach before flying back home. Are the shuttles from the airport run efficiently or is there some wait time involved?

Time of year to go: I always prefer to go in “off season” when I go to DLR, so when is that at WDW, really? Our anniversary is at the end of February, so I’d lean towards that time before others and am not keen on going in the summer. I know I need to plan this trip 9-12 months in advance to make reservations for dining, fastpass+, etc., so this is why I’m trying to get all of my ducks in a row early and start learning about WDW.

I am a little intimidated by WDW, tbh. It is so BIG! I’m used to tiny DLR and love it, but I am getting more and more excited by the prospect of visiting WDW, too. I technically have been before, but I was only a toddler and don’t remember a thing. Any information or opinions regarding any of these questions would be SO greatly appreciated.

Days in the Park: We usually park hop and don't tend to spend from morning to night in the parks. We will get up, and if there is Extra Magic Hours at one of the parks, we will go there.... getting there at least 1/2 before they let you in, so you are near the front. Go to the biggest MUST DO on your list and ride... then to the 2nd, and so on, until your planned fastpasses kick in. We always set them up so they are in a row, and done by about noon or 1. Then we go back to the resort, relax by the pool, change and go a another park where we have dinner, or we just go to a nice place in a resort or DTD to eat. We usually don't do the Extra Magic Hours at night, because they tend to be more crowded and we'd rather go, go, go in the morning and relax the rest of the day. Doing it that way, we usually will spend 2 days in Mk, 2 days in Epcot and a day each at DHS and DAK. DHS, if you are only interested in the rides, can be done, if you take advantage of Extra Magic hours and pre selected Fastpasses in half a day... same with DAK... but we like to take our time there and see the animals, etc... so usually we will spend a full day there. If you are going to a waterpark, it is usually less crowded in the afternoon, so you could do an extra magic hours at a park, and they go there. So, at least, you want a day in each park, but if you have the luxury of time, then spread it out over 6 days.

Where to Stay: Much will depend on your budget and taste. As far as taking the Magical Express, it does work really well. There are places to rent cars on property.... the Car Care Center has rental and it can be set up for you at the concierge desk in your lobby. We live in Florida, but my parents have used the shuttle pretty often and have never had a problem. The nice thing is, that you get to the hotel, check in--- or better yet, do online check in before you get there.. bring a change of clothing in your carry on so you can change in the restroom, check your carry-on with the bellman, and when you return... usually within 3 hours of the time you arrive at your resort, your luggage will be in your room. You will, however have to call the bellman to have him/her bring up your carry-on. You can always use the Magical Express to WDW, but you don't have to take it back. However, you may have to return your rental car to the Car Care Center and set up transportation to the airport, unless they can make other arrangements for you.

Time of Year to Go: Well...... the traditional LOW seasons really aren't that low anymore with all of the new and exciting things that have opened up in the Orlando area in the past couple of years, but I would say the 1st 2 weeks of December is really nice. Everything is decorated for Christmas, they are doing the Candlelight Processional in Epcot, the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party is happening at The MAgic Kingdom, so you are getting to enjoy the Christmas season without the crowds. Another time would be in later September after the Food and Wine Festival has started in Epcot and the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party has started in the Magic Kingdom. Except for some school groups that still may be lingering in early May, that is also a nice time. The weather is nice... not too humid yet and the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival usually runs until the Sunday of Mother's Day. The week after that, the Star Wars Weekends begin and run for Friday - Sunday for 5 weekends. If you are going at the end of February, as long as you miss President's weekend, you should be fine. The hours may be a bit shorter for the parks, and some attractions may be down for refurbishment, but if you aren't into the "festivals", there are none going on at the time.

Other things of interest: As for getting your ADR's, Fastpasses, etc, you do need to get them in advance, but ADR's don't start booking until 120 days, depending on the place, and the Fastpasses you can only reserve 60 days in advance and you can do your online check in 60 days in advance. Make sure you get your Disney's Magical Experience app for your computer/laptop/phone. You can do all of your planning right there, including picking the color of your Magic Band. I would look at the official and non official websites, or go to your local bookstore or online and see about any planning books they might have. Sometimes by reading the stuff that is "un-official", you get a little better understanding about WDW. The place is vast, with LOTS to do and see. Just remember, you likely will not be able to do it all in one trip, and trying to would likely drive you nuts, or break the bank. So relax, pick out your "Must Do's" and enjoy yourself. And have a Happy Anniversary!

So, I am considering using a travel agent for our future trip (nearly positive it will be February 2017). If I do, what is the earliest that I can start planning the trip with the agent? 500 days out? I saw on a WDW tips website that this is the earliest that you can book the onsite resorts, but only via phone or travel agent.

Also, I'd like to use a travel agency that specializes in Disney and is really great. Any recommendations?

Days in the Park: We usually park hop and don't tend to spend from morning to night in the parks. We will get up, and if there is Extra Magic Hours at one of the parks, we will go there.... getting there at least 1/2 before they let you in, so you are near the front. Go to the biggest MUST DO on your list and ride... then to the 2nd, and so on, until your planned fastpasses kick in. We always set them up so they are in a row, and done by about noon or 1. Then we go back to the resort, relax by the pool, change and go a another park where we have dinner, or we just go to a nice place in a resort or DTD to eat. We usually don't do the Extra Magic Hours at night, because they tend to be more crowded and we'd rather go, go, go in the morning and relax the rest of the day. Doing it that way, we usually will spend 2 days in Mk, 2 days in Epcot and a day each at DHS and DAK. DHS, if you are only interested in the rides, can be done, if you take advantage of Extra Magic hours and pre selected Fastpasses in half a day... same with DAK... but we like to take our time there and see the animals, etc... so usually we will spend a full day there. If you are going to a waterpark, it is usually less crowded in the afternoon, so you could do an extra magic hours at a park, and they go there. So, at least, you want a day in each park, but if you have the luxury of time, then spread it out over 6 days.

Where to Stay: Much will depend on your budget and taste. As far as taking the Magical Express, it does work really well. There are places to rent cars on property.... the Car Care Center has rental and it can be set up for you at the concierge desk in your lobby. We live in Florida, but my parents have used the shuttle pretty often and have never had a problem. The nice thing is, that you get to the hotel, check in--- or better yet, do online check in before you get there.. bring a change of clothing in your carry on so you can change in the restroom, check your carry-on with the bellman, and when you return... usually within 3 hours of the time you arrive at your resort, your luggage will be in your room. You will, however have to call the bellman to have him/her bring up your carry-on. You can always use the Magical Express to WDW, but you don't have to take it back. However, you may have to return your rental car to the Car Care Center and set up transportation to the airport, unless they can make other arrangements for you.

Time of Year to Go: Well...... the traditional LOW seasons really aren't that low anymore with all of the new and exciting things that have opened up in the Orlando area in the past couple of years, but I would say the 1st 2 weeks of December is really nice. Everything is decorated for Christmas, they are doing the Candlelight Processional in Epcot, the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party is happening at The MAgic Kingdom, so you are getting to enjoy the Christmas season without the crowds. Another time would be in later September after the Food and Wine Festival has started in Epcot and the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party has started in the Magic Kingdom. Except for some school groups that still may be lingering in early May, that is also a nice time. The weather is nice... not too humid yet and the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival usually runs until the Sunday of Mother's Day. The week after that, the Star Wars Weekends begin and run for Friday - Sunday for 5 weekends. If you are going at the end of February, as long as you miss President's weekend, you should be fine. The hours may be a bit shorter for the parks, and some attractions may be down for refurbishment, but if you aren't into the "festivals", there are none going on at the time.

Other things of interest: As for getting your ADR's, Fastpasses, etc, you do need to get them in advance, but ADR's don't start booking until 120 days, depending on the place, and the Fastpasses you can only reserve 60 days in advance and you can do your online check in 60 days in advance. Make sure you get your Disney's Magical Experience app for your computer/laptop/phone. You can do all of your planning right there, including picking the color of your Magic Band. I would look at the official and non official websites, or go to your local bookstore or online and see about any planning books they might have. Sometimes by reading the stuff that is "un-official", you get a little better understanding about WDW. The place is vast, with LOTS to do and see. Just remember, you likely will not be able to do it all in one trip, and trying to would likely drive you nuts, or break the bank. So relax, pick out your "Must Do's" and enjoy yourself. And have a Happy Anniversary!

Thank you so much for all of the great information!

I'm heading for my 3 rd adults only Disney trip In late August 2015. I know it will hot but I had limited vacation day choices from work. In 2013 I went at the end of November and needed a winter coat this time I know I won't need one. Many of my suggestions have already been posted but these are rookie mistakes that I did and now try to avoid:

1) Stay of property and consider a moderate resort. I last stayed at Port Orleans and loved it. I'm doing 4 days at a Moderate and 4 days at a luxury this year.
2) Plan for down time. I once did Disney, Universal and Sea World in 10 days and almost killed myself and my taste for theme parks. Plan a day off to just relax poolside or wander about.
3) Most people walk 6-10 miles every day at Disney so good walking shoes are a must. Make sure they're broken in and get in walking shape by taking walks before your trip.
4) This is the first year I'm renting a car so I can't relate the pros and cons for this until after my trip. I did however book the car well beforehand and got a fantastic rate ($27 Canadian for 2 weeks). Even if I don't end up using the car much, I'm not out much money.
5) Plan meticulously (I use tourinplans.com as the Disney app is lousy IMHO) and make advance restaurant reservations as soon as you can because the popular ones fill up fast. You can do so 180 before.
6) Park hopper is a good idea if you plan to eat dinner at a theme park, unless you plan it very well and get all you dinner reservations in. Park hopper will allow you to eat dinner at different park then the one you attended that day. I like to go back to my resort in the early afterrnoon to relax then head back out for dinner.
7) Use the parkside photographers so that everyone in your party can be together in your pictures. They quite gladly will take a picture with your own camera so you don't need a photopass.

Have fun

Oh yes, that's right, 6 MONTHS. I knew that, for heaven's sake.

What is "MDE"? I have an account on Disney.com for reservations for Disneyland already, is it similar (but for way more things)?

MDE is My Disney Experience - I do not believe it is the same as Disney.com.
This is the account that you put your reservations and park tickets into that then allows you to make FP+ selections. You can also, customize (choose your color for each person) your MBs. You can schedule/plan for additional things to do at each park each day (IE: a show that you did not get a FP for, a parade) and have them on one printed sheet to carry with you.

Days in the parks: I was thinking of one day in each of the following parks (we don’t do water parks, so I’m not really interesting in those, even though I’m sure they are awesome)- Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios. I know that there are many that will find my itinerary not long enough, and I understand, but of the four, do one or two maybe beg for another day? In your opinion, which one(s) would that be and why?

I think the MK and Epcot deserve two days while you can do both DHS and AK in one day each.

Where to stay:
If I’m doing this, I’m staying on property. This isn’t DLR, where the rooms at all three hotels are outrageous, so please tell me where you would stay if you wanted a magical time, but to not totally break the bank. I don’t mind to splurge, but I don’t want to spend an obscene amount of money, either. I saw some info. about the Port Orleans French Quarter and it looked interesting. Also, proximity to the parks is important to me. I’d rather be closer than farther away, tbh. I still realize that transportation will be necessary as WDW is so large. I also understand that there are different tiers of resorts at WDW for different price points. Let’s stay out of the top tier, lol.
Given that you live in LV, you may want to skip Coronado Springs. As for the other moderates, do you want a Louisiana feel or a Caribbean feel? I like POFQ, CBR and POR in that order. The Swolphin is also a great choice. It's about the same price as the Disney moderates but it's location is between DHS and Epcot. The downsides are (1) a resort fee, (2) pay for parking, (3) no DDP and (4) no free transportation from the airport. Another option (since you're looking so far in advance) is to rent DVC points for a studio. Depending on the time of year, you can get Deluxe resorts at Moderate prices. You can rent over on the DVC Rent/Trade board or from a professional here: http://www.dvcrequest.com/ . His prices are more expensive but you can use his points/price calculators to get a "worst case" scenario. The downside is that DVC point rentals are often non-refundable and cannot be changed ... although if you work with an individual owner those kinds of things can be worked out.

Car Rental: Yes or no?:
If we fly into Orlando does it make more sense to take a shuttle to WDW than rent a car? If we do take a shuttle, are there car rental places near WDW that we can get to in order to rent a car later in our trip (which will probably be a week long absence from work, leaving on a Saturday and returning the 2nd Sunday after)? I haven’t been to Florida in forever and I want to spend a couple of days at the beach also if I’m flying across the country. My thought is to start out at WDW and then end up at the beach before flying back home. Are the shuttles from the airport run efficiently or is there some wait time involved?
I would say "yes" to the rental car, especially if you are going to want to rent one for a day or two. It may be just as cheap to rent it for the whole week and have it to run offsite for drinks, breakfast foods or snacks.

Time of year to go:
I always prefer to go in “off season” when I go to DLR, so when is that at WDW, really? Our anniversary is at the end of February, so I’d lean towards that time before others and am not keen on going in the summer. I know I need to plan this trip 9-12 months in advance to make reservations for dining, fastpass+, etc., so this is why I’m trying to get all of my ducks in a row early and start learning about WDW.
I'm not sure if there really is an "off season" anymore. I have read reports that it's pretty busy all the time. I would go ahead with being there for your anniversary. The Half Marathon is 2/21 so it'll be a little busier then.

I did a little "back of envelope" comparison of POR (ast week of Feb 2015, I only have 2015 rack rates) and renting a DVC villa (last week of Feb 2016). POR's rack rate is $1595 or $1800 with taxes. I believe there was a 20% discount for Moderates, so that brings the price $1440. This ASSUMES that Disney will not raise their rates in 2 years. That won't happen and 2017 rates WILL be higher. DVC point charts will probably remain the same from 2016 to 2017.

DVC rentals are as follows, @ $13 per point rental:

Boardwalk Villas, preferred view: 132 points, $1716
Beach Club Villas, 134 points, $1742
Wilderness Lodge, 127 points, $1651
Animal Kingdom Villas, savannah view, 139 points, $1807
Bay Lake Tower (Contemporary), lake view, 154, $1989
Grand Floridian, lake view, 199 points, $2587
Polynesian, lake view, 199 points, $2587

You can save some $$ by choosing standard views at some resorts. The CHEAPEST studio on property for your time frame is:

Animal Kingdom Villas, value view, 95 points, $1235.

Note, the value studios may have a parking lot view *and* you will need to book them right when they come available at the 11-month window as they are very popular.

Thanks everyone for the new information!

The more I've looked around, the more I'm sure I want to stay at POFQ when we go and I'll probably just want to book a Standard room as I'm okay with splurging, but already consider myself doing so by staying on property. I am very much considering using a travel agent (maybe Dreams Unlimited or my local AAA agent, since I am a member) as well. I'm not knowledgeable about the DVC points- is that a big hassle or would it even benefit me at all staying at POFQ?

I guess a big question I have is- when should I start the actual planning process in which I can start making room reservations, etc.? When do YOU start making reservations for things when you plan YOUR trip? I know my hubby thinks it's hilariously early to be worrying about these things, but I want to stay where I want and get everything set up in advance, because I'm a planner!

Thanks everyone for the new information!

The more I've looked around, the more I'm sure I want to stay at POFQ when we go and I'll probably just want to book a Standard room as I'm okay with splurging, but already consider myself doing so by staying on property. I am very much considering using a travel agent (maybe Dreams Unlimited or my local AAA agent, since I am a member) as well. I'm not knowledgeable about the DVC points- is that a big hassle or would it even benefit me at all staying at POFQ?
DVC points will NOT help you at POFQ. Just book through CRO, the earlier you can the better off you are.

I guess a big question I have is- when should I start the actual planning process in which I can start making room reservations, etc.? When do YOU start making reservations for things when you plan YOUR trip? I know my hubby thinks it's hilariously early to be worrying about these things, but I want to stay where I want and get everything set up in advance, because I'm a planner!

With DVC you are always in planning mode. You have to be planning your points out 2 - 3 years ahead of time to ensure that you book when your 11 month booking window opens. I have plans right now for reservations as far out as 2018, including two DCLs using DVC points, a trip to HH, already booked for next month a trip to VB, and DWs birthday getaways in Dec every year (we have been every year since '93 for this getaway and have no plans to stop).

DVC points will NOT help you at POFQ. Just book through CRO, the earlier you can the better off you are.

With DVC you are always in planning mode. You have to be planning your points out 2 - 3 years ahead of time to ensure that you book when your 11 month booking window opens. I have plans right now for reservations as far out as 2018, including two DCLs using DVC points, a trip to HH, already booked for next month a trip to VB, and DWs birthday getaways in Dec every year (we have been every year since '93 for this getaway and have no plans to stop).

What is "CRO"?

After reading this, it's likely that DVC point usage is not for me, which I thought it probably wasn't, anyway, but thank you for the info.!

if you rent a car and stay at Dolphin or Swan they DO charge for parking. WDW hotels do not.
that say if you are flying would definitely use DME - it saves time and money - and who does not want to leave their luggage at the first airport and after check in find the luggage in their rooms.

that say I don't fly anymore - problems with trust issues.

really think you do need 2 days at MK - it is a BIG park - get maps before hand - so you know where you are going - also be sure to understand the fast pass on my disney experience - you get 60 days before your arrival to get your fast passes if staying at a WDW resort.

expensive -
walking to the MK - BLT or CR (really same place - BLT is just the DVC side of it)
walking to Epcot - BCV or BWV - okay dolphin and swan - but think they take the boat
walking to Studios (HS) - BWV -

there is nothing close enough to AK to walk to it - even AKL/V can't walk to AK

now for a first trip - might go with Pop Century - it is a value - but has great transportation - everything is bus - and in offseason it is a bargin (generally)

when to go
January - avoid MLK birthday week and of course NY
Feb - before President week - after President week spring break starts and the prices go up and the park get crowded.
Sept - is nice - if Disney is going to have free dinning - Sept is the month they generally have it in.
May - use to be uncrowded - but the first week this time was crowded - really surprise for me.
Dec - the first two weeks is still not as crowded as the rest of the time - but only if you want the Christmas stuff - otherwise - Sept.

Jan, Feb, Dec - not as hot or humdity
Sept, May - can definitely be hot and humdity

this site can help

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwplan.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter