Need some help with a graduation table centerpiece

Claudia1

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
I'm working on a table centerpiece idea for our very special graduate. She has struggled and conquered amazing odds and we plan to party! (and yes, it will be Covid restriction appropriate in whatever form that takes in June!).

She has excelled in 4-H, especially making jellies. That's her thing. The school colors are sky blue and red. I'm trying to adapt a Pinterest idea with a jar and photos. I want to use a jelly jar, filled with red, blue, and clear glass rocks with 3 different photos sticking out of the rocks. She has lots of blue ribbons so I thought it might be cool to add it to the centerpiece. However, it is very plan. (She has lots of purple champion ribbons, too, but didn't know if the colors would work well.)

I'm an uber party planner but not crafty. What do I need to do with this to make it pop? A ribbon or border around the top of the jar? Something around the prongs? Or is the idea flawed and I need to start over? I don't want a rustic country theme.

Help!

Graduation centerpiece disboards.jpg

I like it; but, if you want more pop, here are a couple ideas.
Maybe "Brighter" rocks??
Or put tissue paper in her school colors down inside the jars (add your rocks inside for weight and stability) and let the tissue paper blossom out of the top of the jar. It should still be sturdy enough to hold the stakes.
Another thought, you could spray paint the stakes in your color scheme.
I also wonder how it would look if you cut some of the stakes down so that the photos are at varying heights.
Maybe you could back your photos with some craft paper in coordinating colors?

Keep in mind that your photographs will add some color and interest as well. The plain white paper might be misleading you a bit.

Okay, bear with me here. I’m envisioning two jars, beads layered bottom to top red, blue, and clear, not mixed together as you have it now. Each jar has a photo stake in it with the ribbons strung between them pennant-style like pictured below. You could have more than one photo stake per jar if you wished, either arranged staggered or in a spray.

C373A556-D94C-4975-8218-822D786327F0.jpeg

And lose the white lacey doily. Do something a little more modern looking in the school colors.

Last edited:
I'm working on a table centerpiece idea for our very special graduate. She has struggled and conquered amazing odds and we plan to party! (and yes, it will be Covid restriction appropriate in whatever form that takes in June!).

She has excelled in 4-H, especially making jellies. That's her thing. The school colors are sky blue and red. I'm trying to adapt a Pinterest idea with a jar and photos. I want to use a jelly jar, filled with red, blue, and clear glass rocks with 3 different photos sticking out of the rocks. She has lots of blue ribbons so I thought it might be cool to add it to the centerpiece. However, it is very plan. (She has lots of purple champion ribbons, too, but didn't know if the colors would work well.)

I'm an uber party planner but not crafty. What do I need to do with this to make it pop? A ribbon or border around the top of the jar? Something around the prongs? Or is the idea flawed and I need to start over? I don't want a rustic country theme.

Help!

View attachment 559686

I feel like where the prongs are sticking out is kinda bare. Maybe some small sun flowers in the jar as well, you'd see the glass at the bottom and could still have the pictures and the ribbon.

I'm rereading and you said you don't want rustic.. maybe roses or some other kind of flower.

I love the idea of the tissue paper. It will give you your centerpiece some visual height. Also-perhaps you can see how it would look to have the ribbon hang on from a dowel or wooden skewer. I would be concerned about something spilling on the table and wrecking the ribbon.

I'd take a walk through your local craft store or Florist for inspiration.

Maybe talk with an associate in the wreath making department or the floral area. I think you need a base or table runner or some mesh or ribbon of some sort in her school colors. I also think 3 jars, not just one.

I do think her other ribbons should be displayed somewhere, too.

Our very special graduate. She has struggled and conquered amazing odds. . ..

If it were my daughter and she'd conquered amazing odds, I'd splurge and get a large and fancy graduation arrangement in her school colors from a florist. Her graduation sounds like it is an extra big deal for both of you. Also, why not also see if a place like Michael's can make a nice shadow box or frame with her 4-H ribbons, awards, and mementos; it might not be cheap, but I bet she's worth it. She's only going to graduate from high school once, and she must have worked very hard to do so; make it a very special display for your very special graduate.

I like the look with some flowers, but also, re-take the photo from a lower angle and see if you like the look better. I think part of it is the angle of the photo. I would mount the photos on card stock in the school colors so that they have a thin border and either mount a photo on both sides or add some other item of interest to the other side so that it's visually appealing to both sides of the table.

What about layering the jelly jars, like a 3-d Pyrmiad? I think the jelly jar is too short for the stakes, but can you raise it by using 3-4 jelly jars as a base?

Thank you all for your suggestions! You are amazing!

FYI, my mock-up is a rough draft-type of thing, not the final product. I don't plan to use a dollie but love the idea of a runner. I also love the ideas of adding flowers and using multiple jars in several ways. The banner idea has a lot of applications for her party! I plan to use 6 pictures, back-to-back with a coordinated color between them. Of the 6 pics, 1 will be of her at the fair with a grand champion jelly and 1 will be a Senior pic with all of her ribbons. I'm also second-guessing using her ribbons on the centerpiece. It doesn't add much and I don't want them ruined. Point well taken!

Also, we have a fabulous Senior photo of her throwing all of her ribbons in the air and floating down like confetti. The photographer really captured her beautiful smile and the ribbons floating mid-air. It is everyone's favorite and will be a primary focus, using it at every table and prominent in the photo display. We are working on a special display with her ribbons and trophies.

Keep the suggestions and comments coming, please!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter