Need Some Help With a Difficult Disney Situation

JaibuJenn

Earning My Ears
Howdy Gang,

I wish we were planning this trip under better circumstances, but it is what it is and I need some help.

My Dad was recently diagnosed with early staged Alzheimers disease. Thankfully we caught it early, so we can enjoy our time with him. We have booked a big family vacation in December 2015. We love Disneyland, and it will be our last vacation together as a family.

We are pulling out all of the stops. Grand Californian, Holiday time (it's my Dad's favorite time), etc.

Here is where I could use some advice. :) My husband and I are saving now to ensure we can afford a nice dinner for the entire family. We have eaten at Carthay Circle and Blue Bayou before, but it has been a few years and we are not sure what to pick. We just want an unforgettable dining experience that my parents will be genuinely surprised with. My dad despite his diagnosis, is in good shape right now so we really want to treasure this trip and all of the experiences we are planning with it. My whole family just simply loves Disney Parks. :)

If you have any restaurant suggestions I would sure appreciate it. Of course food and ambiance is super important, but above all we just want something super memorable. If you have had any stellar cast member experiences at any of the nicer restaurants feel free to share. I feel like that is equally as important, especially with my dad.

I appreciate any and all advice. Cheers. :)

...If you have any restaurant suggestions I would sure appreciate it. Of course food and ambiance is super important, but above all we just want something super memorable.
I highly recommend the Premier Room at Carthay Circle Restaurant :goodvibes
A private room for parties of 8 to 12. A special reservation is required, and perhaps a deposit.

Definitely take the Holiday Time Tour.
If your budget allows, also consider a VIP Tour.

I highly recommend the Premier Room at Carthay Circle Restaurant :goodvibes
A private room for parties of 8 to 12. A special reservation is required, and perhaps a deposit.

Definitely take the Holiday Time Tour.
If your budget allows, also consider a VIP Tour.

Thank you so much for your suggestion! Our group is only 6 people so not quite big enough, but I appreciate the reply! :)

Napa Rose or Steakhouse 55 might be a good fit. We have had really good experiences at both restaurants -- great food and service -- CMs are really good about working with special requests and needs. The menus are both good, just different -- think wine country cuisine vs. steakhouse.
If the budget allows, maybe a VIP tour for your family would be a great experience.

I preferred the food at Steakhouse 55 over Carthay Circle. I do think at either place you will get great service!

Sorry to hear about your dad. It's lovely that you'll have such a wonderful vacation together.

Has your dad been to Disneyland before? We had a trip similar to yours where we took my in-laws before my father-in-law passed away from cancer. The two things he loved the most were (1) watching his grandkids go on rides and (2) doing the things from the trips he took in the 60s and 70s. I mention this in case your dad already has a favorite restaurant there; he may prefer a classic '55 era restaurant such as Carnation Cafe.

If he's a people watcher, Cafe Orleans provides a great view of the Rivers of America as people go by.

It sounds like your priorities are great service and memorable location. To me, that's Napa Rose. It's convenient, too, since it's in your hotel and steps from DCA.

What a dreadful reason to plan a DLR trip. But I'm sure you'll make many great memories during the entire time.

One thing to keep in mind is that expensive doesn't always mean more special. You will most likely have the best memories during the times you don't olan on them. That's when they sneak up on you, and you'll remember that hilarious incident outside the corn dog wagon more fondly than the planned sit-down meal. The best you can do at this point is to plan your days smartly (do things you WANT to do, not what people say you'll like), and then let the good times find their ways into your time together.

Napa Rose Chef's Table with the customized menu. It's expensive to be sure, but I hear (and will soon be able to confirm) that it's absolutely unforgettable.

I agree that Napa Rose is wonderful!! The food and service was fantastic. Make sure and book your reservations as soon as possible (60 days out) from your desired evening. December books up very quickly. I hope your trip is amazing!

I concur with the suggestions for the Napa Rose Chef's Counter. It's an amazing experience and one you'll never forget.

I agree that the Chef's Counter at Napa Rose is an extraordinary experience, but it's a rather inappropriate setting for a large party, as everyone will be lined up like at a bar.

If you're set on Napa Rose, you may inquire about a larger table in a private or semi-private room where everyone can participate in the Chef's tasting menu. But my take on tasting menus is that you (and everyone else) had better like everything on the menu, because such menus are prepared for the entire table, and substitutions are the exception rather than the rule, and up to the discretion of the Chef.

I agree that the Chef's Counter at Napa Rose is an extraordinary experience, but it's a rather inappropriate setting for a large party, as everyone will be lined up like at a bar.

If you're set on Napa Rose, you may inquire about a larger table in a private or semi-private room where everyone can participate in the Chef's tasting menu. But my take on tasting menus is that you (and everyone else) had better like everything on the menu, because such menus are prepared for the entire table, and substitutions are the exception rather than the rule, and up to the discretion of the Chef.

I agree - the Chef's Counter is literally a counter and you'll have to lean forward to talk to each other. Not ideal for more than 2 people.

You should ask nicely at Carthay Circle for one of the private rooms and let them know your situation. I've had the private rooms with only 3 people, because I requested it. We DID have to leave a deposit but it's not very much. It doesn't hurt to ask and I bet you would get a little magic :lovestruc

I actually had a terrible service experience at Carthay Circle, but I was solo. You might be treated better if you have a large group. The food was good, but it didn't knock my socks off.

I can say, though, that my Blue Bayou experience was AMAZING. The ambiance is great, and I know that there are tables big enough for your group, because I sat next to one. Service was spot on.

The food was absolutely delicious: I had a perfectly cooked and seasoned filet mignon, amazing potatoes and a delicious chocolate ganache mickey dessert.

It's a very special place to eat, and I think the food is really good. Based on my experiences, between BB and CC, I'd recommend Blue Bayou.

For a unique to Disney dining experience, I would also go with BB. You won't get that dining experience anywhere else, especially with a seat by the water. We ate there two weeks ago and had a blast. If you wave at the boats as they come by many will wave back at you.

Our food was great. I had the salmon and my dd had the chicken Tesoro. We also ate at CC on that same trip. I thought the food was great but the atmosphere is a little less Disney. I could eat at a restaurant here in Seattle and get a similar meal and atmosphere.

Honestly, I like getting together at Big Thunder Ranch BBQ. I know it's not elegant, but for me, nothing screams Family Get-Together like outdoor BBQ.

I know this wasn't your question, but I would second the Holiday Time Tour. We (group of 6) did this last year, and it was awesome!

Thanks everyone for your input! It truly means so much to hear so many well thought out and objective opinions. <3 My dad and entire family loves Disneyland so much, this trip will be spectacular. :goodvibes

No suggestion, just wishing you and your family all the best as I work with many alzheimer's and dementia patients. I think the trip is a wonderful idea.

I did a last Disney trip with my mum when she was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Truthfully, we did a lot of wonderful things, and I treasure them all. But it was the quiet, unplanned moments that I remember most. Sitting together, holding hands... My husband took a lot of photos and the ones where he just caught us talking are my favourites. So my advice is to make all the plans, but don't get caught up in them. Cherish the little, unplanned moments. And take more photos than seems reasonable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter