Need some expert flyer help!

disneydreamerinny

Elliot’s MiMi
I was just getting everything together in my passporter and made copies of everything, tickets, ID's etc. While doing this I noticed my daughters fiance's ticket, there might be a problem. When I booked the tix, I put his name as Alex. Which is what he is referred as. When I got his lD, his name is actually, Alexzandar. Everything else is correct. How much of a problem is this going to cause? Should I call someone? Am I going to have to rebook his ticket?:scared:

Here is sound advice I took from tripadvisor.com:

a) Call the airlines involved and *ask* that they "note" your reservation about the issue at hand.. While noting a reservation doesn't change the name nor guarantee that they'll accept your ID, it does show that you brought the issue to the airlines attention in advance..

b) Bring anything you have that's official, that supports the name difference..

Here is sound advice I took from tripadvisor.com:

a) Call the airlines involved and *ask* that they "note" your reservation about the issue at hand.. While noting a reservation doesn't change the name nor guarantee that they'll accept your ID, it does show that you brought the issue to the airlines attention in advance..

b) Bring anything you have that's official, that supports the name difference..

This would be a waste of time and completely unnecessary. There is no problem with having an airline ticket with a shortened version of your full first name (Alex for Alexzandar, Bob for Robert, etc.).

Note that it is the TSA checking ids and tickets when you go through security, not the airline.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/05/whats-in-name.html

Just call the airline, or ask during check in at the desk if they can change it. If not, you will probably still be fine. TSA is goofy about a lot of things, but they will probably let that go. Now, they may do a full "terrorist" search moments later, but that's another story.:rotfl: They seem to care more about your soap and saline than they do about your name.

Just call the airline, or ask during check in at the desk if they can change it. If not, you will probably still be fine. TSA is goofy about a lot of things, but they will probably let that go. Now, they may do a full "terrorist" search moments later, but that's another story.:rotfl: They seem to care more about your soap and saline than they do about your name.

Please do not post incorrect information. As I already posted twice, along with a link to the official TSA rule on this, the OP does not need to worry.

I work for an airline and I will say this, the secure flight system has been in place for over 3 years now. Initially the TSA was less strict with the matches, however; the TSA has indeed been taking a harder stance on the mismatch of names for quite some time.

The best advice I have is to call your airline, our airline will adjust the name over the phone and run it through the TSA system again looking for the match.

As with anything if you are ever unsure, call the airline and ask. It is free piece of mind for asking, even if the answer is "don't worry" at least you get it from the source.

Please do not post incorrect information. As I already posted twice, along with a link to the official TSA rule on this, the OP does not need to worry.

Which part was incorrect and why didn't you point that out to other readers if you were concerned about it? We seem to be in agreement that the OP does not need to worry, saying basically the same things....yet you say I'm posting incorrect info? I'm just saying you can always call the airline to be sure or request a change if possible.

Further, the person posting claiming to work for an airline seems to disagree with your position that the OP doesn't need to worry or bother with the complete and unnecessary waste of time of calling the airline to check.

Last year I made the mistake of putting my husband's name on our reservation as Jim. I got nervous that I would have trouble at the gate so I called Air Tran and they made the necessary change to James for me over the phone. I'm not sure if we would have had any problems going through security with the nickname, but I did not want to take any chances.

Some people have different names on their ID than they may use in everyday life, such as hyphenated last names that are present on IDs but not commonly used, or vice versa. Others may go by their middle name often, but their ID shows a first name and middle initial. Othersmay have a name so long that the state issued ID doesn't have room. NYS will shorten your name on your DL to only show a first initial and then last name if there isn't enough room. So, any of these issues could come up with TSA if looking at your ID and comparing it to what you used to book the ticket, so try to be as close as possible. I think it just depends on the judgment call of the agent at that moment.

Another issue.... Delta will combine your first and middle name into one word with no space. I called about this and they said that's how their system works and TSA will accept it with no problem. It doesn't hurt to ask. It's not a complete and unnecessary waste of time. :)

It doesn't hurt to ask. It's not a complete and unnecessary waste of time. :)

:thumbsup2

This is the most important part. 99 times out of 100 your names may not match and you walk through with out issues. Would you really want the 1 time you have an issue happen on vacation?

There is significantly a lot more going on between the airline and TSA besides a TSA agent checking an I.D. and matching it to a boarding pass... I don't want to bore anybody with the details (nor can I in some instances) but I will tell you that only by looking at your reservation can somebody say with 100% assurance if you are going to have an issue or not.

If you are trying to get to a vacation you saved for and dreamed about for months or even years, is it a waste of time to pick up the phone for piece of mind? Absolutely not.

Careful folks. Although many of us have flown successfully with minor differences, the TSA Secure Flight Program was implemented in 2009 and requires that you provide your full name exactly as it appears on the ID you will use when you travel.

Possible consequences if you don't:
- Problems matching your name against the no fly list, delay in Airline being allowed to issue boarding pass
- TSA checkpoint can deny access

I am always careful to know if I will use my Drivers License or Passport, becuase my license has only my middle initial while my passport has my full middle name.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter