• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need some expert advice!

praiser

Earning My Ears
Hello to all--I'm new to this board. However, we've been DVC owners for 3 years. Our home resort is SSR, which we really love.

I'm ready to plan our next vacation. Dh wants to try something different. How does WLV compare to SSR??

Here are some questions/needs we have:

1. I like that SSR is quiet. Are the WLV peaceful as well?

2. Are there different buildings to stay in at WLV? Which is the best.

3. Do the WLV have their own pool seperate from the regular Lodge? Does it have a water slide.

4. Are there good restaurants at WLV?

We are not visiting the Disney parks this go-around. We have two kids, and they actually prefer Universal. Fine by us, it's much cheaper. So location doesn't matter much to us, since we will use our car to go off-site.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice you have. Both are available for our dates, but I'm sure WLV have less units than SSR, so I'd like to book ASAP.

vwl is very peacefully.

no one building

they have a small pool behind VWL.

the main pool over at WL is the only one with a slide.

good restuarants - yes -
whispering canyon - your kids will love it
artist point - save it for adult only dinner
plus all the monrail hotels are open to you

take a boat over to the CR for its restuarant or take the boat to the CR and get on the monrail for Polyn and GF restuarants

you definitely have more selections than at SSR despite the closeness of DD.

that say you can watch the fireworks from CR or Polyn areas.

you can watch EWP from the beach.

you can go over to FW - walking or biking - and eat at Trail's end.

Thanks Spiceycat! Your response is very helpful.

A little twist to add: what about if I threw OKW in the mix? Which of the 3 would you lean toward? (we've only stayed at SSR for DVC resorts, so I am clueless!)

OKW is similar to SSR, but dated. The rooms are larger then all of the other DVC resorts. So between OKW and SSR, I would stick with SSR - unless you were staying in a studio. One other thing only two buildings at OKW have elevators.

VWL is a nice choice, rooms are quiet and relaxing.

OKW answers:

1. I like that SSR is quiet. Are the OKW villas peaceful as well?

OKW is very peaceful. definitely.

2. Are there different buildings to stay in at OKW ? Which is the best.

there are many different bldgs at OKW. only a couple of bldgs have elevators, BTW. many people prefer staying near the hospitality house (main bldg). it's more spread out than SSR so using the buses to get to the hospitality house from the outskirts is generally a good idea.

3. Does OKW have a water slide.

the OKW pool also has a water slide.

4. Are there good restaurants at OKW ?

olivia's at OKW is nice, but doesn't have nearly the reputation as artist point at the VWL.

the rooms at OKW are a little larger than all the other DVC rooms and use a lighter pastel/beachy theming, as opposed to the more luxury oriented theming at SSR.

At OKW the rooms (all sizes) are substantially bigger than at the other resorts...

There's only one restaurant at OKW (Olivia's--we like it a lot!) and a "carry-out" fast-food type place near the pool (there's also a snack stand at the Turtle Pond pool, but it seems to be closed as often as it's open)...

OKW is more like SSR in that it has more "neighborhoods" and buildings, and you can park right outside your villa...

The main pool at OKW has a nifty sand castle slide; the "neighborhood pools" (much like those at SSR) have no slides, but are nice pools and have kiddie playgrounds by them...there are also barbeque grills by the neighborhood pools.

We've not stayed at Wilderness Lodge (altho we've been there and love the look of it). We own at SSR and BCV...we frequently stay at OKW (it's particularly great when I have a crew of college kids on the trip...that extra space is great w/"bigger people" in the villa!)...

But you'll find noticeably less in the way of restaurants at OKW and nothing like SSR's Grandstand "mini-main" pool ... altho OKW's main pool does have a water play area.

OKW has a community hall, as does SSR--don't think VWL does, altho I could be wrong about that...

For resort-only (no Disney parks), I'd recommend either SSR or Wilderness Lodge over OKW...lots more to do "on site" than at OKW...but I have nothing but praise for OKW...it's a fantastic resort!

I would disagree about being OKW being more spread out than SSR. I found myself walking considerably more at SSR than I've ever done at OKW. It's easy to hop the bus if needed at OKW by getting on and off at Peninsular Road -- right near the main pool rather than going to the front of Hospitality House where you have a longer wait.

OKW will have you basically in the same area you are familiar with and you'll have the convenience of your car right outside your unit (no valet necessary). The rooms are substantially larger than at SSR. The resort is a very true Florida Key West theme which sometimes gets lost on people because they are in Florida.....I felt the difference when I stayed at SSR and missed my "island getaway".

It's located around the Lake Buena Vista golf course so that keeps it very quiet and relaxed. It's large but smaller than SSR so you have fewer people as well.

I think you would enjoy OKW but you may want to try something new and in a different area with VWL. In my book there's something wonderful about every DVC resort and we should try them all

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter