Need some Dec booking advise.

GeoffM24

Mouseketeer
My wife and I joined BWV last year and we made it down to VB last Jan.

While searching airfare for orlando today I found 2 direct flights for $125 each so I booked them!

I had my wife call reservations and there are no rooms available anywhere for the 5 days we are going, Dec 4-9th. I didn't realize it was such a popular time.

We were told we could book Port Orleans for 15 points a night but we really want to stay in a DVC property so we wait listed.

I would like to hear any recommendations you guys might have to protect ourselves incase nothing comes through.

I find it hard to believe that nothing will open up anywhere but I could be wrong.

While there are cancelations, and you may find some availability, as you can see early to mid-December is a VERY popular time for DVC members. Personally, I'd book either a value resort or a moderate on cash.... Do you have Annual Passes? You may be able to get a decent AP room rate as we get closer to your dates. Either way, book "Room Only", not a package...that way there is usually as 5 day cancelation instead of the 45 day cancelation with a package in case a DVC room does open up for you.

GeoffM24 said:
Thanks Chuck I booked Port Orleans as a backup
That's a good idea. I think you will end up staying there for this trip. There are already many people on the waitlists for those days.

The best chance of the waitlist coming through will be 30-31 days prior to arrival. That's when DVC members who aren't absolutely sure of their plans will cancel (to avoid having points go into holding). If you don't get your reservatrion then and if you want to stay on the waitlist, call MS and tell them so. Otherwise, your request will be dropped from the waitlist. At 7 days prior to arrival, there are no more waitlists. You have to call every day to see if something opens up if you are still interested. Many who have cash back up reservations are no longer interested at that point because of the cancellation penalties for cash reservations.

Hope the waitlist works for you.

Best wishes -

Early Dec. is a popular time for DVC members, I called last week to try to change our 1BR to a 2BR at BCV for Dec 2 - 6. There were no 2 BR anywhere on property. We are waitlisted, but I do not have high hopes.

I just called to try booking OKW for Dec 11 to Dec 14. Could only get the 11 and 12 at SS, also the 13 and 14 at OKW. Waitlist the 11 and 12 at OKW. If it comes thru great if not at least I am booked for these nights. :banana: :Pinkbounc :banana:

You'll enjoy POR!!! I'm currently holding reservations at BCV for Nov 30-Dec 4, but am waitlisted for BWV. I'm not holding out much hope of getting BWV. BCV is better than nothing though :teeth: !

I hope your POR ressie is a cash deal.

If it's on points and your waitlist comes through, you need to be well aware of the ramifications of cancelling a non-DVC reservation...and also of cancelling inside of 30 days, if in fact, that's what happens.

By the way, we stayed at PORFQ this Feb and liked it very much.

Good luck, and I hope everything works out for your trip. No matter where you stay, it's one of the best times of the year to visit WDW. (As opposed to all those awful times of the year to visit WDW :rolleyes: )

i am in the same boat GeoffM24. where do you live? i bough tickets for that same amount just last week out of philly. but we had to add a night. oh no not an extra day of vacation. but i have a feeling i will also have to pay for one night. oh well 3 resorts in 6 days. we are going dec 6-12

i think i have come to believe the fact that i am so far down on the waitlist for a dec 12 room at a dvc resort i might as well get a room a another resort. i was thinking just booking a room at CSR for sunday night. its only 18 points and i have plenty left over to bank for a great trip next year.

JimMIA said:
I hope your POR ressie is a cash deal.

If it's on points and your waitlist comes through, you need to be well aware of the ramifications of cancelling a non-DVC reservation...and also of cancelling inside of 30 days, if in fact, that's what happens.

By the way, we stayed at PORFQ this Feb and liked it very much.

Good luck, and I hope everything works out for your trip. No matter where you stay, it's one of the best times of the year to visit WDW. (As opposed to all those awful times of the year to visit WDW :rolleyes: )

We booked with cash so we could cancel, I would have never known to do that If I hadn't checked here first!

bears163 said:
i am in the same boat GeoffM24. where do you live? i bough tickets for that same amount just last week out of philly. but we had to add a night. oh no not an extra day of vacation. but i have a feeling i will also have to pay for one night. oh well 3 resorts in 6 days. we are going dec 6-12

We are going to be flying out of Hartford CT. We were going back and forth between Nov and Dec but when we saw the prices for Dec we jumped. Sadly I never thought DVC would be booked. I wrongly assumed that those days were such low points because nobody went then.

If you haven't already tried, you can be waitlisted on a per night basis--its MUCH EASIER and FASTER to get your dates that way. Take whatever single nights you can until you hit the 31 days in advance window, then reevaluate and cancel if you don't have all the dates you want. I have had much success with the wait list this way because I am more patient than I believe most people are.
:cool1:
Lucy D.

We found out today that we got 3 of our nights, 2 at BWV and 1 at BC only 2 more to go! I can't help but wonder if Katrina led to some cancelations?

We now have a studio at BCV for every night but the first, switching to single day really helped!

I will make sure I book our December 2006 trip in January at the 11 month window. If I was checking out on December 9th, then I would call January 9th and book the whole trip, right? I thought I read something about ppl calling everyday to book each day seperately?? Why is that? Thanks for the info.
GeoffM24 glad you are getting what you want.

Congrats on getting the DVC rooms, although we really love Dixie Landings (POR). I also wonder if the price of gas is having an effect?

Muushka said:
Congrats on getting the DVC rooms, although we really love Dixie Landings (POR). I also wonder if the price of gas is having an effect?

Or the "availability" of gas in the areas affected by Katrina. We usually drive from San Antonio. Airfares were high, and I figured that gas and/or lodging may not be available along I-10 or I-12 by early December. Our other alternative, Amtrak, is also not running direct from San Antonio to Olrando until further notice, as it follows a similar route, and track repair is obviously needed.

I was waiting untl early November to cancel, but when Delta went into bankruptcy, the flights went from $350 to $189, so we booked and got a great car rate through Alamo.

It would be really nice if someone would put together a calendar with the busiest times of the year for DVC bookings. That would give the new folks a heads-up on what to expect with their reservations. I would try but don't feel qualified to do as good a job as the folks who have had years of experience with making reservations.

How about it Doc, Caskbill, Dean, JimMia??? Any takers????????

Tom :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter