Need recommendations in the Orlando area!

pixistix

Mouseketeer
My DH got laid off from his job a month ago. Just found out mine is ending in less than 2 weeks. :scared1:
Florida was in the 5-year-plan but that now just got moved up to "we're moving this summer plan."
We've been to Disney many times. Mostly during summer time and love the Florida weather.
Now I'm looking for houses/apartments for rent in the Orlando area. Just DH and I and a yellow lab names Tinkerbell.
I am overwhelmed by large number of rental communities!
We want to be outside the city, somewhere nice. Doesn't have to be brand new, just clean and somewhat quiet.
Any help, advice, suggested communities, would be most appreciated!:worship:

We lived in a planned community called Avalon Park near UCF. I am now back up north but we really liked the area.

I have lived in Orlando (relocation package) and there is no way in HECK that I would move there without secured employment! I work for a great company but a high amount of employment is tourist related with low pay scale.

Orlando is so transient that while there are many nice communities the way into them or next door can be extremely rough.... Traffic can also be something else so you will want to live near where you are employed if possible. If you have a specific area that you are targeting please post and I'd be happy to help.

My only advice is about having a dog Many rentals don't allow one or limit the size of one or even ban a certain breed ...yes believe it or not some even a Lab I would start hitting the internet searches for " pet friendly" otherwise you will waste many hours looking at random places to live only to discover those restrictions

Best of luck

I would be asking for recommendations of a good realtor, one who knows the area.

Some nice areas near Disney are Dr. Phillips and Windermere. On the north side, people generally recommend Oviedo, Lake Mary, Heathrow, Longwood and Winter Springs.

I'd highly recommend securing a job first. Too many people move here thinking it's going to be a permanent vacation, realize the cost of living is often higher than what they expected, and end up hating Orlando/Florida.

My only advice is about having a dog Many rentals don't allow one or limit the size of one or even ban a certain breed ...yes believe it or not some even a Lab I would start hitting the internet searches for " pet friendly" otherwise you will waste many hours looking at random places to live only to discover those restrictions

Best of luck

The reason Labs sometimes get banned is that they can be chewers, and they are not always picky about what. One that my sister had chewed the siding off the outside walls if she was penned in the back yard.

As to the OP, what I would suggest is to leave the dog with a friend for awhile if you can, put your stuff in storage, and go down and do some job-hunting while staying in a less-expensive furnished vacation property. Don't move permanently until at least one of you lands a full-time job. (If you think that you are unlikely to get hired in your field if you are not already living there, what I would suggest is to get a pre-paid phone with a new number that has a 407 area code. That plus the address of the vacation condo will give you an Orlando-appearing address.)

We are renting our house here for a year. We both get unemployment for a year and have some saved. So we will be good for a year there if nothing comes up.
I work in the travel industry so I don't think it should be difficult to get a job in central Florida. I also have a possible job that will be coming available in a few months down there with a company that's owned by the same company I just worked for. I have to contact them when we move.
I have made contact with a Realtor also and we've scheduled some showings, along with appointments at some apartment complexes. I've checked with them before making appointments to be sure labs are accepted.
I'm puzzled by the apartment prices being "subject to change daily." It sounds like the stock market.
Searching for a place to live is like a full time job itself right now!

We are renting our house here for a year. We both get unemployment for a year and have some saved. So we will be good for a year there if nothing comes up.
I work in the travel industry so I don't think it should be difficult to get a job in central Florida. I also have a possible job that will be coming available in a few months down there with a company that's owned by the same company I just worked for. I have to contact them when we move.
I have made contact with a Realtor also and we've scheduled some showings, along with appointments at some apartment complexes. I've checked with them before making appointments to be sure labs are accepted.
I'm puzzled by the apartment prices being "subject to change daily." It sounds like the stock market.
Searching for a place to live is like a full time job itself right now!

Unless I am misreading are you saying you will collect PA unemployment while living in FL if you don't get a job in FL ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter