Need "points" advice

melsteadman

Loving all things Disney
My husband and I have beed considering buying into DVC for a few months now. Our favorite place to go currently is Disneyland, staying at the GC. We have 3 kids who LOVE it there as well!

As many know, the points for GC are sky high due to it's demand, because of this, we will most likely buy re-sale, and pray we pass Disney's ROFR. However, now I'm wondering, should we focus on buying more points at a cheaper resort (say AK), hoping to get what we want at the 7mo. window for GC? We would probably do most of our traveling during GC's Choice travel dates, so those odds might be better?

I guess I'm going off the assumption that "points" are "points" once they're deposited in your account, but even that might not be the case?

My other thought was to buy the majority of our points at a cheaper resort, and then buy a small number of points from GC just to become an owner for that 11mo window time. Would that work, provided that the "points" from the other resort were deposited before the "points" from GC?

Just trying to get a better understanding of how these "points" really play out before we decide what to buy where and how many, lol!!!

Thanks for any advice you all might have!!!
Melinda

If VGC is where you will most likely stay and you are west coasters then I would def buy there. Booking VGC at 7 months is very difficult. If you spend a lot of time at WDW then I would say pick a favorite resort and buy there.

And to add to it, AKV is not necessarily a cheaper option. Maintenance is on the high side.

If you want to stay at VGC, you should buy there. There is very limited availability there and booking at 7 months is hard.

Also, if you want "7 Months" points, SSR is a better buy than AKV. Much lower maintenance fees.

We're from Colorado, so DL has always been where we've gone. VGC is our favorite place to stay.

We recently got back from a WDW/Disney cruise combo that we loved, so WDW is definitely in our future again!

Thank you for the info. about AKV & SSR, I didn't even consider main. fees!

So if we do buy additional "points" from another resort, as well as the VGC "points", can we use them ALL at the 11mo window for VGC? Or can you only use the VGC "points" then, and you have to wait until the 7mo window to use the others for VGC?

We're from Colorado, so DL has always been where we've gone. VGC is our favorite place to stay.

We recently got back from a WDW/Disney cruise combo that we loved, so WDW is definitely in our future again!

Thank you for the info. about AKV & SSR, I didn't even consider main. fees!

So if we do buy additional "points" from another resort, as well as the VGC "points", can we use them ALL at the 11mo window for VGC? Or can you only use the VGC "points" then, and you have to wait until the 7mo window to use the others for VGC?

You can only use points in the 11 month window for the resort they are for, even if you have points at other resorts. You can't use the SSR points at 11 months for VGC even if you also own VGC points.

You can only use the VGC points at the 11 months for VGC and then wait for the 7 month window to use the other resort points.

So if we do buy additional "points" from another resort, as well as the VGC "points", can we use them ALL at the 11mo window for VGC?

Nope. You'll only be able to use the Grand's points at the Grand at 11 months out.

If you have an overwhelming favorite, and you DO, buy there. You don't have to buy direct; you can buy resale, but you would want to buy VGC points.

We did it in reverse. I dislike the Grand, and so we were never going to use points to stay there. So we bought at a WDW resort instead.

The problem with NOT buying at VGC (when that is where you want to stay) is the booking window.

As you already know, VGC is small and popular. It is difficult to get a reservation there if you have to use the 7 month window. Owners of VGC points may reserve beginning 11 months prior to arrival. Non-VGC points can't be used until 7 months prior to arrival. By that time, there isn't much left at VGC, and for some times of the year, there's basically nothing left.

If you can plan more than 7 months ahead and if VGC is where you want to be, buy VGC and use the priority booking window.

If you cannot plan more than 7 months, then buy the least expensive DVC resort.

Good luck with your decision.

We just went through the same debate. We love the Grand Californian and Disneyland, and wanted to be able to use the villas there. After much advice from this board, we decided we should buy a contract there. we are buying resale through the timeshare store, and just passed rofr on a 300 point loaded contract at $124/point. will give that a try for a while and then see if we want to buy some other cheaper points elsewhere to add on. from everything we heard, trying to get into VGC at the 7 month mark is very difficult, so wanted to have our home resort points there.

I've contemplated buying VGC too. Were southern Californians and don't go to Disneyland as much as we'd like because of not wanting to pay to stay down there. I may cave in and buy a small contract so that we can spend a few nights down there each year. It would be nice for the Disneyland half marathon.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

I have to agree with all the advice given here. I own a pretty hefty share of VGC points and travel there very often. I'm usually at DL anywhere from 14 - 21 days per year. For this reason I own there. My dates are often not flexible, and I want to be sure I can get my room. The only way to do this for sure is to own there.

If you will not be able to plan in the 11 month owner window there really is no point in buying there. However, that being said, the VGC will sell out busy dates in studios and/or maybe even 1 bdrms inside the 11 month window. If you don't mind stepping up to a 1 bdrm or even a 2 bdrm you will have a better chance in the 7 month window of getting a room. You must still be able to book on the day your 7 month window opens. It will sell out in all room categories shortly after the 7 month window opens.

The VGC is the smallest DVC resort property with only 71 total rooms. The breakout is 23 studios, 23 1 bdrms, 23 dedicated 2 bdrms and 2 Grand Villas. All the studio/1 bdrms can also be booked as a 2 bdrm lock-off combination.

You would have to decide how important it is to know that you can book your room at the VGC. If you can't plan in the 11 month window, or if you are happy to be flexible and won't be disappointed to not get room at the VGC over particular dates when the 7 month window opens, and you are comfortable to take what you can or can't get in the 7 month window, definitely buy your ownership at a WDW resort.

If you want to know you can book your room, buy at the VGC.

I agree with PPs. Its easier to get away with buying the cheaper points at WDW, since you have more flexibility with where you stay. But with VGC being your only option at DL, it would be a drag to own AKL or SSR points and never be able to use them at DL.

Wow, thanks for the great advice!
It looks like we'll need to go ahead and buy into VGC, at least initially. We love it too much there not to. I had thought at one time that DVC also let you use your points at their other DL hotels, but maybe they've quit doing that?

I also keep seeing references to people buying a "Loaded" contract? What's that mean? Is it different than a standard one?

Again, thanks for any and all advice! :)

If you buy resale you can't use your points for the other DLR hotels. They are in something called the "Disney Collection" and resale points purchased after March 21, 2011 are not eligible for use in this manner. Planning and staying at the Grand is way better value anyway, so you aren't really missing too much in not having this available to you.

I like this definition (but, others may disagree) for what "loaded" means when you buy a contract:

Fully loaded: All 2013 points banked, plus 2014 points now, none borrowed from 2015

Loaded: All 2014 points, none borrowed from 2015

Stripped: No 2014 points, some 2015 points coming

Fully Stripped: No 2014 or 2015 points.

Happy hunting for your perfect VGC contract.

Last edited:
If you buy resale you can't use your points for the other DLR hotels. They are in something called the "Disney Collection" and resale points purchased after March 21, 2011 are not eligible to use their points in this manner. Planning and staying at the Grand is way better value anyway, so you aren't really missing too much in not having this available to you.

I like this definition (but, others may disagree) for what "loaded" means when you buy a contract:

Fully loaded: All 2013 points banked, plus 2014 points now, none borrowed from 2015

Loaded: All 2014 points, none borrowed from 2015

Stripped: No 2014 points, some 2015 points coming

Fully Stripped: No 2014 or 2015 points.

Happy hunting for your perfect VGC contract.
Whew, I'd never heard those definitions, but I think I got mine right by saying 'loaded.' We got all 2014 (December Use Year), 2015 and beyond points, for $124/point. They were asking $128 and we offered $124, and were thrilled when they accepted--and relieved when it passed ROFR!

Original Poster, I'd recommend you keep an eye on the listing at The Timeshare Store. They generally seem to have some VGC listings to choose from and they post new ones on their FB page every couple days. We have been very happy with their service so far.

There are quite a few VGC listings out at the moment and they are not selling as quickly as they normally do. now seems like quite a good time.

I think the other piece to remember is that owning something at WDW but wanted to go to DL, would be tricky since you only have one option at 7 months. Those that want to go to WDW and stay certain places, have a little more flexibility in the gamble of purchasing a less expensive option because at least they can book something where they are going. But, VGC is difficult to get into so as suggested, it really does make sense to go to with VGC. Good luck!

My sister lives in Cally and I've tried and tried to get GCV at the 7 month window with my points. No luck so far in the past 3 years. For any time of year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter