• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need Perspective...

Tbone17701

Disney Dreamer
Would LOVE to spend my 40th at WDW, but my bday always falls the week of President's Day. The last time I was there on my actual bday was 1991. Anyway, we don't usually go during peak times. I can tell you that being at MK on 12/7 this year during parade taping with it being a bit warmer than we like, I was minding the crowds. We've done Black Friday in the parks and just meandered around picking and choosing rides with acceptable wait times for us. I think knowing it would thin out in a few days helped us manage that day better though. Knowing things were going to stay that busy for our entire trip would have been more daunting I think.

Hopefully that example will help you folks give me some perspective about the crowds over President's Day? I should add that we are not a RD friendly family, which I know will make it even worse for us. DH needs and deserves as much rest as I can squeeze in on vacation and sleeping in is non-negotiable. We can swing late nights though.

So, am I too much of a wimp to handle that week? I'm having trouble imagining the crowd level I guess and all of the crowd talk and pics this week are starting to freak me out!

Thanks!!

While I don't think that week will be nearly as bad as think week, I think it will be much more crowded than early Dec. WDW is charging "peak" rates that week for a reason.

Well, just looked it up and Mardi Gras is that week as well that year. From what I've read here, that's a double whammy for crowds. Now I fear I am indeed getting closer to crazy Christmas like crowds. Darn it!!

Could you have a trip maybe tue-tue so the first part of your trip would be lighter...( at least I think it would but haven't checked the crowd calendars). You only turn 40 once so if it's important to you, you should go. Anyway for you to go early at RD and let your hubby sleep in and meet you later?

Which day of the week of Presidents week is your birthday? I mean, if it is like Friday after, could you do a Fri-Fri visit where you arrive on your birthday, suffer 1-2 days of large crowds, then wave "buh-bye" as they leave on Sunday and you have the parks almost to your selves? :confused3

I'm starting to plan my 40th birthday trip to the World too! :cool1: Mine isn't until 2016 though. My birthday that year will fall on the Tuesday after Easter - there is NO way on earth that I will be celebrating my actual birthday by standing shoulder to shoulder with people in lines that are that long. :)

Now I'm trying to decide if we should go at the beginning of March or wait until the middle of April . . . right now March is winning b/c my oldest will be in a testing year at school and I don't want to pull him out that close to the test window.

I agree with the PPs that suggested to maybe tweak your arrival/departure day to where you will have to deal with the crowds for just a part of your trip rather your whole trip....I also agree that if your DH doesn't want to do RD, then let him sleep and you go off and do what you want to do, he could always meet up with you when he is ready to :goodvibes.

I just turned 40 in December and since I work in retail I wasn't able to take off to celebrate my actual day at Disney (the darn Christmas season :rotfl:). However, my family planned a wonderful trip for me in October which they called it my "Birthday trip" where I was able to experience the F&W Festival for the first time and we went to MNSSHP. I understand wanting to go and celebrate this milestone at your Happy Place, especially on your exact day, and if you really want to, I know you will work it out to your advantage. However, if you can't, just know that celebrating your birthday earlier or even later then your actual date, your trip will be just as magical. Good luck and have a Happy 40th :goodvibes.

I turn 40 this year, too. :)

Is there any way to rearrange your arrival day so you'll be there on your birthday (maybe 2nd day of trip), and then leaving as the heavier crowds arrive?

If you really want to be at WDW for your 40th, don't let crowds deter you. Maybe just plan on spending more time at your resort or doing other non-park things. :)

The crowds are fairly large for President's Week, but the park hours are also extended. For a family that doesn't like rope drop, you can catch the benefits of the extended night hours.
We went to Disneyland, CA for my 40th birthday. We went in April (a few months after my birthday), but it gave me something to look forward to despite the milestone birthday year. For what it's worth, we loved Disneyland and we loved going to the west coast and experiencing Hollywood, it was a wonderful 40th birthday present to myself.

We are going the week before President's week, arriving Feb 11. Is that an option for you?

Thanks so much for all of the input! My 40th isn't until 2015 and it falls Thursday of President's week. I had thought about doing Wed-Wed, but it would mean an extra day out of school for DD and by returning on a weekday there's no catch-up day before she dives back in. My selfishness only goes so far! ;-) Maybe I'll have to consider going the week after. This is why I'm starting early, so I can flip flop a thousand times before reservations are available! Ugh...

Just to clarify, am I looking at 2+ hours for headliners, 30+ minutes for Quick Service, walking shoulder to shoulder with thousands of my closest friends and all that good stuff during President's Week?

My birthday is on Feb 7 and we have gone a few years for that week. Last Feb 7 was my 40th and it was great!! Low crowds and perfect weather. How about a week early to celebrate the last week of the 30s and the big 40???

We're going President's Week this year. I usually go during quieter periods but this is our second trip in 12 months and we want to go with relatives, so....

I notice that compared to off season, the parks are open way later. Also, I think the weekend around Presidents day will be busy but most places are only off for President's day and not a full week. I live in MD and we are pulling the kids out of school for part of the week. It's not like Christmas where literally everyone in the entire country is off at the exact same time. Plus, unlike Spring Break, colleges aren't off except maybe President's Day itself. So while it will be crowded, it should not be as crowded as Christmas or Thanksgiving. Crowd calendars certainly reflect this.

My plan is to use FPP, plan to stay later and know that we won't hit everything. With FPP, we will be able to ride all must do's at least once anyway. Every trip is different. A few years ago we went during Mardi Gras. I didn't even know Mardi Gras was a holiday in which people got time off (we don't celebrate it where I'm from) so I was SHOCKED when we got to WDW and it was super crowded with loads of people in purple and gold. Just have a plan if you want to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter