Need opinions: how old is too old for a stroller?

DNSDisney

<font color=CC66CC>Got "rehitched" at the Garden G
I was just wondering how old do you all think is too old for a stroller? My nine yr old asked today after watch old home movies of herself at disney if she could get a stroller again... At first i thought she was joking but now i think she is serious..
And i am thinking well... it will be easier to tote stuff if we did and from the double stroller pics she would fit into one easily... but i don't want her to feel embarrassed either.. so...
How old is too old for a stroller???????
thanks
sharon

I don't think there is a specific age you should go by when deciding whether or not to use a stroller for your child. If your daughter is asking for one, then I think you should consider it. I wouldn't bring one from home for a 9 year old because she probably won't need one for walking around the resorts or in the airport, but if she asks for one in a park, I would definitely rent one for her. I don't know how much she weights (our 8 year old only weights 42 pounds), but she would probably fit in a rented stroller if she isn't too big for her age. I think all of the parks have the jogging-type stollers now, which are pretty sturdy.
My feeling is that whatever makes your child comfortable is right for you! And don't worry about what others might think, because they probably won't think anything of it anyway!

We were very close to renting one for our DD who is 8, she was always so tired from walking by the end of the day it would have been helpful.

I think 9 is a bit old for a stroller. We have told our 7 yr old (almost 8), no strollers because they have height and weight limits and it's just not safe. We were there in Nov and she did fine. As long as you don't push the little ones and take breaks often they seem to do OK.

If it's feasible and she wants it, I'd let her do it. My then 7-1/2 year old jumped into a double stroller I got for my 3 year old when we were at MK for an E-Night back in October. Most of the rest of the vacation he had to walk as we had a 3 year-old and a 15 month old in a double stroller already, but my husband had taken the younger one back to the hotel during E-night. He remarked 'this is the life' as he sat back and enjoyed the ride.' He also gave me specific instructions to never, ever mention this to his friends! :p That's the fun part about being on vacation....getting some time to relax, have fun, 'be a kid', and not worry about what other people think!

I should also point out that he was 4'6" and 72 pounds!

Have a great time!

If my daughter wanted to have a stroller I would let her in WDW. My 4 yr old wants one my 6 yr old says no way but she'll change her mind.

Lasy year, we brought our double stroller for our 7 yr old twins. Occasionally, our 9 yr old would hop in the back of the stroller (where he couldn't be seen). It was nice to have the stroller to put all our stuff in.
But this year, my DH says no stroller! He's tired of pushing it around. Plus, he thinks they are old enough to walk. I will miss having it!

You're probably paying thousands to go to Disney anyway. So rent one the first time she asks - its only $13. If she doesn't use it, don't rent one again.

There are many times I want to be pushed in the stroller!!!! ;)

I plan on getting one if our 6.5 DD asks! Who cares if she hasn't been in a stroller for years It's WDW after all!!!!

Originally posted by mainey-mouse
You're probably paying thousands to go to Disney anyway. So rent one the first time she asks - its only $13. If she doesn't use it, don't rent one again.

$13?? Is that correct? Last I knew, they were $6.

Andy
CSR, July 2001 (36 days!)

apm, I think $6 is for singles and $13 is for doubles.

I would say that you need to do whatever it takes for your vacation to go smoothly. If your daughter can fit in a stroller and mom and dad don't mind pushing it, then go for it. Even if you are willing to get a stroller, I would try to get her "conditioned" for the trip. Go on a walk each evening. Try a few longer walks a day a few times, like on the weekends. A few weeks before you go, schedule a long day at the zoo or something similar where you're walking on pavement for a while. Make sure everyone's shoes are good for walking all day and that everyone can get through the day. If not, boost the exercise program.

Originally posted by Kermit
Make sure everyone's shoes are good for walking all day and that everyone can get through the day. If not, boost the exercise program.

Great advice, Kermit -- I've been doing it for myself, but I never thought of doing it for the kids.

Heh heh -- "Welcome to boot camp girls, we'll start with a 10 mile walk in the rain!"

I know that I probably will be slammed royaly for my thoughts on this matter.....but here goes.

First of all I believe that you must do what is best for your own children and if it make your trip more memorable then DO IT!

On the other side of it. I have 4 kids, one soon to be 15, twins that are 9..and a 2 year old! The first time my twins went to WDW they had JUST turned 5 and we NEVER rented a stroller. As our youngest approaches 3 I figure we will use it maybe one more trip and then NO MORE! For several reasons......

1. Fighting a crowd with unecessary strollers is a MAJOR pain. Not only do the people with the strollers get in the way...it makes it just hard to move around! I see kids 9-12 STILL riding in them and when their parents make them get up....they whine unmercerifully cause their parents aren't letting them SIT DOWN! If it were my children....I would say...if you want to sit down..lets go back to the resort or go home!

2. All the stuff that we carry in the stroller can easily be divided among our fannypacks. Each person has one! If you can't carry it, you don't need it!

I think about this often now.....seems like to me we are raising kids with an attitude of "I deserve it"! Well as a parent I hope I am instilling some responsibity, strength and perseverence! Please don't get me wrong and be offended by my comments. If your child needs it...get it! If they don't need it and if it is just a convience to carry your families items or something that your child just wants....well I would rethink my position! WDW has too many children in strollers that don't need them! Have a great day....and once again..please don't be offended by my comments...if you are.. I apologize in advance!

It is possible to purchase strollers designed for "special needs children" (aka disabled) through catalogs of manufacturers that make them. They are, however, much more expensive than typical strollers that DO have height and weight limitations (due to design & construction).

These strollers for disabled individuals look like they are built for bigger people. But they do not look like they are for the disabled, just for those that are bigger. (Does that make any sense???)

If you were interested in seeing a catalog about these, I would suggest contacting your local school's special education department. They usually have these catalogs on file because they often purchase equipment from them yearly.

Also, seek out a physical therapist at your local school. They will have these catalogs, too.

:cool:

I agree with Betsyfun. IMHO a healthy 9 year old who does not have any disabilities or health problems is too old for a stroller. If a 9 year old can't keep up with you, you are either going too fast for her or she needed some conditioning exercises before the trip.
And, don't underestimate how tired pushing that stroller around will make you. After a day of pushing around our DD (about 80 pounds) in her (lightweight, easy to push) wheelchair, we are tired.
The Special needs strollers that were mentioned cost between $500 to $2000, and while they look the same as a regular stroller, they are much bigger and do get stares because of that.
If you do decide to rent a WDW stroller, it has been posted (I think by Safari Steve) that thye have sizes that will fit up to an average size 10 or 12 year old.

If your child wants to ride in a stroller, let her!! What is the big deal?? I think it is easier to keep an eye on her in the stroller anyway!! But, don't think that a stroller can carry all of your stuff. We were just there and had a double stroller for our children (ds 4 and dd 2) and whenever they wanted to go on a ride, or somewhere where no strollers were allowed, we had to make sure that nothing was in our stroller but our name tag!!. So, we just kept all of our stuff in our backpack anyway. It is Disney and a vacation afterall, get her the stroller if she wants it!!

Am so glad someone asked this question. I know for a fact that all 4 in our party will be SO MUCH HAPPIER if our 8 year old isn't tired!! Gonna look into the double stroller for at least a couple of the days (which I didn't know they had.) Thank you!

I'm going to have to agree with Betsyfun. My children were 4 1/2 and 8 when we first went to the world. It was made very clear if you were tired of walking... back to the resort we would go. Funny thing was, no one ever complained. I've seen many children there complain about getting in and out of the stroller! JMHO. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter