• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need opinions for family of 5

Joshy443

Earning My Ears
We're trying to decide on a resort. We've narrowed it down to Poly or a 1 bedroom villa. Unfortunately, my husband could really care less about where we stay :confused3 . Ages of the kids will be 2,4 & 7. I'm probably making this more of a big deal then it is - but w/3 kids convience and space is very important. We've never traveled with 3 kids for 7-8 days so this will be the first time. Wondering if anyone has an opinion. I know the rooms at the Poly are big and have a fridge but the villas have a kitchenette and washer/dryer. I would think the washer/dryer would be necessary. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Having stayed at both, I vote for the one bedroom villa.

You have a full kitchen, not just a kitchenette. There are dishes, a toaster, coffee maker, everything you need including a dishwasher. The bathroom has the tub in one area with the shower in another .. with 2 sinks .. and that means more people can get ready at the same time.

A great plus is a separate bedroom and 2 tvs. You can close off the bedroom while the little one naps and the other kids can play in the living room. Don't forget there will be privacy for parents, too!

The washer and dryer is great! I just throw the clothes in the wash as we are getting ready, then in the dryer as we are leaving and come back to clean clothes. You don't have to take as much and there is not all that laundry to do back home!

I always thought the Fort Wilderness cabins would be a great place to stay for a family. I never had a need for it. But sure sounds fun!

I would also suggest the villas. The extra space is great, and I love being able to do laundry (and pack less!) and fix a quick breakast or late night snack in the room!

Go for the villas - they are so roomy, and the jacuzzi tub feels great after a long day in the parks. :thumbsup2

If space was not an issue the Poly, very good resort with three kids having the monorail to the MK and Epcot. Great beach to play on.

They have big closets there to put away your stuff and the day bed is big enough for the oldest.

It really all comes down to when you plan to go and how you plan to pay for your lodging at the DVC villas.

If you plan on renting a reservation from a member, you may or may not be able to get what you want when you want it depending on when you want to go. Oct, Nov and Dec are all pretty much booked up. Summer is pretty booked as well. If you plan on next spring or summer (2007), you have a good shot of getting what you want.

Of course, you can always get the reservation directly from Disney, but they do not have access to all the villa rooms, only a small percentage.

Don't forget to consider where you are going to spend most of your time. We stayed at the Contemporary with 3 kids this last Jan. and we were fine with the size of it. (The rooms there are of similar size to the Poly) We just didn't spend a whole lot of time in the room. Being so close to the MK was priceless to us. And being on the monorail was priceless too. Folding up the stroller for getting on the busses is a real pain! Have a wonderful trip whichever you choose! :)

not sure if the 2yr old still counts as an infant at Disney? If not you can't fit 5 in a BCV 1 bedroom--fire codes won't allow it. You would need a 2bedroom.
This was a problem we had, tho our kids are a little older than your youngest

jcpuppy.com said:
not sure if the 2yr old still counts as an infant at Disney? If not you can't fit 5 in a BCV 1 bedroom--fire codes won't allow it. You would need a 2bedroom.

That's not correct. People staying on points can have 5 people in a one bedroom. We are doing it in June and the youngest is 6. Fire codes have nothing to do with it.

jcpuppy.com said:

2 still counts as an infant so they won't exceed capacity at any room at WDW, even at the All Stars or Pop.
In any case, as Allison said, I believe Member Services will allow 5 of any age to stay in a 1-bedroom villa.

OP,
choosing a resort is so difficult! We are renting points and staying in a 1 bedroom at BWV in October/November - we're looking forward to the kitchen and the convenience of the washer/dryer - there are 5 of us too and our youngest is also 2. There is a king bed so even if our 2 year old will not sleep in the pack 'n play there is plenty of room in that bed. Then there's the pull out sofa-bed for our two boys!

Good luck with your decision. :)

Joshy443 said:
We're trying to decide on a resort. We've narrowed it down to Poly or a 1 bedroom villa. Unfortunately, my husband could really care less about where we stay :confused3 . Ages of the kids will be 2,4 & 7. I'm probably making this more of a big deal then it is - but w/3 kids convience and space is very important. We've never traveled with 3 kids for 7-8 days so this will be the first time. Wondering if anyone has an opinion. I know the rooms at the Poly are big and have a fridge but the villas have a kitchenette and washer/dryer. I would think the washer/dryer would be necessary. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I couldn't decide either so we decided on a 1 bedroom villa at the BWV and will explore MGM and Epcot during that time. Then we will transfer to the Polynesian to spend time at MK and AK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter