• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need NON-New Englanders to answer this for me

SplshMtn99

<font color=blue>She talks to me in pretty <font c
Up here in New England, EVERYONE says "the cape". No one really every calls it Cape Cod. As in: I'm heading to the cape this weekend.

I'm wondering if NON-New Englanders would know what I was referring to if I just said the cape. We have other capes here, like Cape Ann. We don't call them the cape. The Cape always means Cape Cod.

Oh, if you lived here once upon a time, then of course you know its cape cod, so you sorta don't count. lol Sorry. But you can answer anyway but explain you lived here.

The cape is to New England as "down the shore" is to jersey people.

I'm aware of that. But I'm wondering if OTHER people know that.

So, am I to assume you knew that "the cape" means Cape Cod or not?

Sometime I have to correct my posts here because I just say the cape. I want to know if I can leave it as the cape & have people get it.

I live in St. Louis, have never been to New England, and I knew that "the Cape" meant "Cape Cod," for what that's worth. :)

We'll I live in a non-NE state with a cape of it's own but for me the cape will always be Cape Cod :thumbsup2 .

I live in CA. It was only recently where I figured out that "the cape" meant Cape Cod. I still have no idea what "down the shore" means. And I really don't understand why people have 2 houses only a few hours apart from each other for weekend use.

Always figured "the Cape" meant Cape Code.

I live in St. Louis, have never been to New England, and I knew that "the Cape" meant "Cape Cod," for what that's worth. :)

I live in St. Louis, have never been to New England, and I DIDN'T know that "the cape" meant "Cape Cod", but hopefully I'll remember that now!:)

I know now....and if the person was from NE, I would be able to figure it out since I haven't even heard of the others :blush:
But I live near the Sound ;)

I wouldn't have known.

It seems like a lot of areas of the country may have something similar. Here in Milwaukee if you are going to "The Lake" it is Lake Michigan - we have tons of Lakes but "The Lake" is Michigan.

I used to live in Bozeman Montana. If you were going to "The Park" it meant only Yellowstone" Local parks were always referred to by name, "The Park" was Yellowstone.

As I suspected, not everyone knows. I'll try to remember to always use Cape Cod here. thanks.

This Texas girl

<----- me

has never, ever, been up that way but I know that 'the cape' refers to Cape Cod.

Now, I didn't know that you guys had other 'capes'. So, I just learned something new. :thumbsup2

I live in CA. It was only recently where I figured out that "the cape" meant Cape Cod. I still have no idea what "down the shore" means. And I really don't understand why people have 2 houses only a few hours apart from each other for weekend use.

Not even a few hours apart-sometimes it's only an hour. LOL
My parents had a house an hour and 15 minutes away in Sussex County NJ-it's rural, very different than where we live(suburb of NYC).

Down the shore means at the beach-which is also the shoreline, aka the Jersey Shore, and as for me I do go down the shore because it's south of me.
Not sure why we don't say I'm going down TO THE shore, but we don't.

A lot of people have beach houses because it's so much different than here-NJ is very small, but has a lot to offer in a relativley small radius. It's what I love about this state.:)
I know a few people with houses in the Poconos(PA) as well, that's about 2 hours from here.

The best thing about having a house that close is that you use it a lot. My parents went every weekend from April-October and for 2 weeks every summer.

My friends are at their house on the Cape..and to answer the OP-yes, I think of Cape Cod when I hear "the cape".:thumbsup2

Up here in New England, EVERYONE says "the cape". No one really every calls it Cape Cod. As in: I'm heading to the cape this weekend.

I'm wondering if NON-New Englanders would know what I was referring to if I just said the cape. We have other capes here, like Cape Ann. We don't call them the cape. The Cape always means Cape Cod.

Oh, if you lived here once upon a time, then of course you know its cape cod, so you sorta don't count. lol Sorry. But you can answer anyway but explain you lived here.

I'd know, but my cousins grew up in Sudbury, MA Not sure if I'd have a reason to know otherwise. LOL. I've got a friend that lives in Brockton, but I can't remember her ever mentioning a trip to the Cape?

When native Floridians talk about "The Cape" they don't mean Cape Cod. ;)

Being from Belgium, "the Cape" means Cape Cod, as long as I know they are talking about the US. If it is just in general, I think it could as well be Cape Town :)

But when I talk about "the Cape", it's Cape Cod.
I also used to spend some summers there, so that might be it...

I always thought "the Cape" meant Cape Cod also.

We use to vacation there in the 60's and 70's.
For some reason I was awed with the "American Host Motel" with it's indoor & outdoor pools.
It was pink then, so we just called the "Pink Motel"

I also remember getting great clams at Baxters which was a small place then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter