Need Motivation!

Binkrin

Mouseketeer<br><font color=blue>No longer tagless<
Not doing the best in my training for Dopey Challenge in January. I am getting frustrated with myself and my lack of improving despite me never wanting to do something so bad in my life.

Please tell me I am not the only one!

Any words of wisdom or tips you can offer to help get me out of this blah state I am in today?

Thank you!!

Training cycles are long...it happens to everyone. Focus on how it will feel to earn those medals, wearing them to a celebratory dinner and around the parks after the races, etc. I find reading others' race reports really motivating too.

Hang in there! :yay:

0.5% of Americans have the courage to train and finish a marathon. What you are training for is even harder than that! The fact that you are doing this is awesome! The feeling you get when you run down Main St USA is like nothing else. I cried. This experience is worth the time you are going to put in. There will be plenty of days when you just don't feel like running. You have to put that aside and suck it up and do it. Have you tried listening to disney podcasts when you un? Great motivation!

Not doing the best in my training for Dopey Challenge in January. I am getting frustrated with myself and my lack of improving despite me never wanting to do something so bad in my life.

Any words of wisdom or tips you can offer to help get me out of this blah state I am in today?

Thank you!!

OKay. Been there done that and doin' it again. Its hot and I don't have a.c. and I have trouble doing anything in serious heat. I am doing a little bit of dvd workouts but nothing major until Sept. Sept is a good month for me to start. For one, I am not as busy as I am in the summer but moreso, the weather is tolerable. I can go out on a cool day and even workout inside and it wont be suffocating. I will walk hills and do this almost everyday, building up and up through December.
Its what I did last year and it got me through the Goofy just fine...no records broken by any stretch of the imagination but I crossed the finish line and later went to the MK...so I survived my first Goofy, my first full marathon too.

Its hot out now and that makes you tired and lacking movement. Once Sept comes things will start moving. For one, it will be fall and that's one season closer to the Dopey challenge. More people will start chatting on these boards in prep for the race. You will get your motivation from them.

Just move a little bit now...even walk a little just to get things oiled...start thinking of more serious in Sept...and graduating through the season...write everything you do down...it helps. You can see how you improve. Write how you feel...sore legs? Need to work on legs...that sort of thing.

I am in the same boat but have been in this boat before and know for me things will start moving faster in the fall.

Thank you all so much! That helped a lot! I need to come back and read these when my alarm goes off at 5:30am tomorrow morning!

Thank you!!

First off, I'd say your motivation is pretty dang high considering what you signed up for- congratulations for that! But, to reply to your concern, I know what you are going through and experienced that feeling multiple times during my training last year and had an "off" week just last week in my training as well. Here are the tips I can offer:

1) if there is any way that you can change up your "normal" training route or workout, I would definitely recommend it. I've found that by running a new route, I'm often more interested in my surroundings and less concerned with how I feel. Running at a different time of day (if possible) can also help sometimes. Better yet, if there is a running group that meets near you- maybe try to meet up with them once a week or every other week, or even just a single buddy- knowing that they are out there waiting always motivates me toget out the door.

2) set your short term goals a bit lower than your long term goals. you already have an awesome goal that you're training for, but that doesn't mean you need to make HUGE strides in your speed or agility every week. If you're really concerned about seeing improvement, try adding a few strides or sprints into one of your weekday runs (not the long run). I've found that, even if I'm not running faster the whole time, those extra bursts of energy have increased my endurance and make me feel like I've had a more successful workout than if I had just gone out and chugged along.

3) try listening to some music, or if you already do that- try a radio broadcast. I personally don't listen to music on most of my runs, except on shorter race days, because I feel too dependent on it. But on days where I'm really lacking the motivation, music definitely helps lessen the pain. If you already listen to music, my DBF often downloads radio broadcasts or audio shows to his iPod (comedy and sports specifically) and listens to those while he runs. He says it helps take your mind off what you're doing.

4) as another poster replied, picture your goal. Imagine yourself running down main st in the dark morning hours, or crossing those finish lines. Chances are, you'll want to be able to enjoy every second of it (even if you're crying with joy like I was). Visualizing how important those moments are to you might help motivate you to train a bit harder.

5) try reading some motivational running books/stories. We've all read runners world and other magazines, but sometimes those can be more intimidating than motivating. I just finished reading both of Dean Karnazes' books and I absolutely loved them. Even though I could never fathom running the distances he does, it's really refreshing to read such an inspirational yet down-to-earth and realistic account. I also just read Chicken Soup for the Runners Soul and found many of the short essays to be motivational. Next up on my list is Born to Run. Maybe you'll find some of these motivational too!

6) treat yourself to a new running accessory. It could be a new pair of sneakers, new shorts, or even as simple as a new headband. It may sound silly but ive often found just a simple change in running attire can help.. Even my DBF just HAD to go out immediately for a run after buying himself a new watch

7) this sort of goes along with finding a local running group, but I've found that it really helps to surround yourself with people who are positive and active in their lives as well. At 23 and 24, my DBF and I often feel misunderstood by many of our friends since we always choose to run or go to bed early rather than hitting the bar- they think we are miserable and antisocial rather than happy and energetic. We've been trying to associate more with our friends with similar lifestyles and it has made everything a lot easier (not to say we have ostracized ourselves, just need to be surrounded by other passionate people)

8) even if you have a miserable long run, talk about it with other people as though it was exciting. There were several Sunday afternoons last year where I'd find myself at some football party after a long, agonizing run. Rather than harping on how horrible I felt at mile 14, I'd simply tell people how far I went with a big smile on my face. More often than not, I found that by modestly bragging about my accomplishment (which in all reality totally stunk), I felt a lot better.

9) reward yourself!! We give our pets treats when they behave admirably- sometimes you have to do the same for yourself. Plan something for yourself for AFTER your workout- in moderation of course. Treat yourself to a long bath, have a drink you haven't had in a while or do something that you love that isn't exercising (for me it's photography or reading a new book). I'm hesitating from saying eating something because I've found that doesn't my always make me feel better, but hey- one cupcake can't kill ya.

10) don't be too hard on yourself. Bad days, bad weeks- these happen. What you are doing is incredible and you will be changed once you accomplish it. Do the best you can to get as excited about your trip and your running as you can and remember, if you feel absolutely exhausted or your body is hurting more than normal- one day off won't kill your training and sometimes does more good than pushing yourself would. If you have the energy, try adding cross training into your schedule to mix things up. Life gets in the way sometimes- it's abnormal for it NOT to.

I hope these help!! Don't give up :)

The new running attire is a good suggestion. I find myself thumbing through the active clothing racks of TJ Maxx/Marshalls for something new. It makes me want to go home and try it out.

I think another thing that works for me is signing up for a variety of races between now and then...like a local 5k here and there. It will keep you going because you want to be better for that next race.

As a matter of fact, I have a 7mile race next weekend...middle of summer...middle of the day...its going to be tough for me.

Like I said, write everything you do down. I can look at last year now and see that I did not really start moving until Sept but still I do bike ride in the summer and walk a bit.

Thank you!!

I'm beginning to sound like a book with only one chapter, but do you run with a phone or iPod Touch? Have you heard of the Zombies, Run! running app? :rotfl2:

Seriously, this thing changed my (running) life this year. I went from dragging to get out the door, to arguing with my husband about whose day it is to run (we have kids, so we have to take turns), when I know darn well that it's not actually my day. :lmao: The storyline is addictive and compelling, and you WANT to run more to hear the next part of the story. And 3-4 times during each run, you're chased by hoards of zombies (you can turn this off if you're just not in the mood) - which is awesome speed work for people who hate speed work. I could not break an 11 minute mile before starting using the app in April, but now i'm running 9 and 10 minute miles with no trouble. Also, you have the same characters that you run with during each "mission" and (and this sounds stupid, I know!) it makes it almost like having someone fun to run with every day..... even if they are talking about knocking the heads off of zombies and making bad zombie puns, most days.

Seriously, I feel like I'm just trying to sell this app to EVERY SINGLE RUNNER that I meet, but it has changed up my running routine and made me excited to run, like nothing else ever has.

Oh, and I hate horror movies and was terrified to try it out the first time, but you don't have to be a zombie fan to enjoy it. There is nothing really scary or gory - it's definitely "wimp" friendly. ;)

On a whim I signed up for the Tinkerbell 1/2 and am terrified of failing, aka being picked up and not being able to finish. My mile is still slow, anywhere from 12-14 minutes. I've run 4 5k races since May (EE Challenge being #1!). I have two more 5ks this month and a 1/2 in October. For me it's all about setting goals and accomplishing new PRs. But this doesn't mean it isn't challenging to keep going, so I understand what you're taking about.

I did set a PR today :) 6.05 miles in 1:22 hours!

So keep up the good work.

I'm beginning to sound like a book with only one chapter, but do you run with a phone or iPod Touch? Have you heard of the Zombies, Run! running app? :rotfl2:

QUOTE]

I've heard of people talking about this but I don't get it. What does it/you do? Also, do you think you can use the Runkeeper app with it?

You guys are the best! Just knowing that I am not alone in my struggles has helped my attitude tremendously!

Seriously, this thing changed my (running) life this year. I went from dragging to get out the door, to arguing with my husband about whose day it is to run (we have kids, so we have to take turns), when I know darn well that it's not actually my day. :lmao: The storyline is addictive and compelling, and you WANT to run more to hear the next part of the story. And 3-4 times during each run, you're chased by hoards of zombies (you can turn this off if you're just not in the mood) - which is awesome speed work for people who hate speed work. I could not break an 11 minute mile before starting using the app in April, but now i'm running 9 and 10 minute miles with no trouble. Also, you have the same characters that you run with during each "mission" and (and this sounds stupid, I know!) it makes it almost like having someone fun to run with every day..... even if they are talking about knocking the heads off of zombies and making bad zombie puns, most days.

Seriously, I feel like I'm just trying to sell this app to EVERY SINGLE RUNNER that I meet, but it has changed up my running routine and made me excited to run, like nothing else ever has.

Oh, and I hate horror movies and was terrified to try it out the first time, but you don't have to be a zombie fan to enjoy it. There is nothing really scary or gory - it's definitely "wimp" friendly. ;)

I need to check this out....I never heard of this but it sounds dreadfully interesting....

I've heard of people talking about this but I don't get it. What does it/you do? Also, do you think you can use the Runkeeper app with it?

Ok, so the general format is that you have 5-7 story "clips" for each run. The clips alternate with songs from your own playlist, and for each run you complete one "mission". The missions are all things like collecting supplies from a specific place, investigating clues to the zombie outbreak, saving people who are trapped, etc. The set up is that you're based out of Abel Township and they use runners to get things done because they don't have enough fuel for anything else. You are wearing a "headset" (you're earphones) and your communications operator (the adorable Sam Yao, often with the help of other characters who are directing you, depending on what the mission is) is telling you where to go and where the zombies are. And every few minutes he tells you to "RUN!" and you need to book it before the zombies catch you.

It's fun and addictive. The story is really immersive and set up so that you can't wait to find out what happens next. It's like when you have a really good TV series on Netflix and you want to sit down and watch a whole season in one weekend.... but you need to run several miles for each episode.

And yes, you can pair it with RunKeeper so that it feeds your run data to RunKeeper. I used to run both apps at the same time, but now I just run ZR! and let it feed the info to RunKeeper for me.

You guys are the best! Just knowing that I am not alone in my struggles has helped my attitude tremendously!

You are certainly not alone. That's what great about comin' here. I will stop by more often now that summer will be over sort of soon...and I can really get out there in the cooler temps.

I have a few races before the Dopey that will keep me going until then. A race next week. A half in Sept. A full in mid Oct and another half at the end of Oct and hopefully one more .... by the end of the year.

Doing something like starting this thread is one great way to keep up your motivation! Just talking with other runners who are going through the same things you are can be a big help. And, everybody goes through cycles where they just get sick of training and want to stop. You just have to find the way to push through and getting encouragement from other runners helps a lot!

I don't know if you are task-oriented, but if you are, you could create a training schedule that lays out all of your training runs. I have an excel spreadsheet of all my training runs and when I complete one, I go on my spreadsheet and highlight it in green. I'm a big list-maker and love crossing things off a list, so believe it or not, just being able to go in and highlight that line in green is sometimes enough to get me over the blahs!

Good luck and you can do this!!!

P.S. I second the recommendation for Zombies, Run. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter