Need insurance but flights not booked yet

kimb96

Mouseketeer
How bad is this? I have to buy insurance by next wednesday which will be 14 days after I paid the deposit on the cruise. We don't have flights yet as we will be using miles and my husband has to do that. I'm not too concerned about the flights as we should be able to rebank the miles if we cancel. And dh is a diamond medallion member with delta. They practically fall all over themselves to kiss his rear.

I bought my insurance two weeks ago and forgot to include the price of our flights. Like you, we're using points (Southwest does points instead of miles), and my husbands said not to worry about it. If we had to cancel, they would just put the points back into our account anyway, so we wouldn't be out any money.

We purchase our insurance through Amex. For our Med cruise next year, I purchased the insurance as soon as I booked the cruise. Once we book the air, I will then contact them and they will roll both policies together. But I would call the insurance company you will be using to see if this is how they handle it also.

Frequent-flier tickets have no value for insurance purposes. However, some policies will reimburse you for the fee to have the miles redeposited if you include that amount in your trip cost.

When I purchased my insurance, the agent who helped me told me they sell in "tiers", and we're allowed one free "edit" within the tier. In our case, the tier is broad enough (per person) that there's room to include airfare without raising the rate: the key is identifying your proper tier based on your cruise cost, then having your agent get you the max covered under that tier. We're also allowed to go back and adjust our dates to account for actual travel dates.

When I purchased my insurance, the agent who helped me told me they sell in "tiers", and we're allowed one free "edit" within the tier. In our case, the tier is broad enough (per person) that there's room to include airfare without raising the rate: the key is identifying your proper tier based on your cruise cost, then having your agent get you the max covered under that tier. We're also allowed to go back and adjust our dates to account for actual travel dates.
This is something to ask either your TA or the insurance company about before purchasing your insurance if you plan on using the reservation as a dummy booking, or feel you may change the date, amount, etc more than once. Some policies only allow one change, some allow a few changes, some allow unlimited changes. Make sure you know which you are getting!

And I agree with the PPs, insurance won't cover your miles; the only thing it might cover is whatever fee the airline would charge to redeposit the miles. So don't include your flights in the insurance amount.

Sayhello

How bad is this? I have to buy insurance by next wednesday which will be 14 days after I paid the deposit on the cruise. We don't have flights yet as we will be using miles and my husband has to do that. I'm not too concerned about the flights as we should be able to rebank the miles if we cancel. And dh is a diamond medallion member with delta. They practically fall all over themselves to kiss his rear.

I do not know anything abour frequent flyer programs.

We bought Access America trip insurance. They said that any non-refundable costs of the trip may be added later (within 14 days of payment for nonrefundable costs).

If your flights are cancellable, you don't need to worry about insuring the flights, and most insurers won't cover more than the redeposit fee anyway. If you change you mind and buy flights or non-cancellable excursions, or change your dates, just call them up and make sure you change your coverage amount and dates within the 14-day period. Double-check with your carrier, but this is what TravelInsured told me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter