• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need Info Please / Little girls wish

kc10family

DIS Veteran
Here is the story…. A 9-year-old friend of the family was just diagnosed last week with Ewings Sarcoma (bone cancer usually found in 10-20 yr olds). Depending on how she reacts to treatment (she should start this week) she has been given between 4 months and maybe up to 3 yrs to live. Her wishes are to meet Hilary Duff, go to Alaska and if not Alaska go to Disneyland. Therefore, we are writing letters to the Hilary Duff address we found on the net, and starting to raise money for either Alaska or Disneyland. Now, the Dr. says he would not make bets for the Alaska trip due to the distance, lack of medical care she might need etc. So that leaves us with Disneyland and my question. Does anyone one know who I could write at Disney to try to get a GOOD discount for her and her family IF (big if) and when the Dr. allows her to leave the hospital and the local area. Oh, yes, they are sending her case to the Make a Wish Foundation, but the Dr. doesn’t think the foundation will have enough time to grant her wish. If you know of anyone I could write it would be the best of help to us. Thank you.

I would suggest you call the "Make a Wish" foundation. They handle making wishes come true for kids in situations like you stated. Disney supports that Foundation Big time. :earsboy:

I'm in Orlando. If you want to call the Disney World swithchboard at 407-824-2222 and ask them to connect you with WDW Community Relations department, they will be able to give you contact information for the Foundation as well as for Disneyland Foundation contacts. :earsgirl:

Where are you at in Northern Cal? That's where we're originally from - I may be able to give you some idea for fund raisers as well. We're from the Auburn/Colfax area. I would also suggest contacting the American Cancer Society, and ask the nurses at the hospital she will treated at (I'm sure they have heard of other children that have wanted the same trip....)
Disney may also be able to get you a good deal themselves - but I'd certainly be trying other leads as well - they might move to slow for her. Did she go to a large elementary school? The kids there might be quite excited to have a fund raiser for her, also - it may ,ake her school friends feel as if they are helping her in some way. Good luck and God bless...

We wish her and her family the best!

You could try DisneyHand as they deal with these types of things. I don't know how it works, I just know it's one of their outreach divisions.

Make a Wish Foundation, as others have stated, is your best bet for this type of request. They can move mountains in no time and possibly set up both wishes in one! A family we know well just lost their 13 yr old DD to bone cancer (following a marrow donation from their 10 yr old DD that didn't take)....she went very quickly, but was able to have her wish fulfilled through MaWF. They do wonderful things!

Disney just did a large fundraiser for MaWF onboard the Magic on July 16th and also a large donation themselves. Lots of Disney stars are BIG supporters of MaWF (I was happy to read in the press release that Raven has granted 30+ wishes in the year and a half her show has been on the air).

I recommend checking the website for Wishland.org they are located in Southern CA but they may need MAWF to get involved and info from the doctor but I know when I talked to Disney they said they worked with Wishland a lot.

I am so sorry to hear about this little girl.

I cant figure out why her dr. would think the MaWF couldnt grant her wish in enough time. That is what they deal with all the time. Time restraints, and urgent granting of wishes if needed. That is truly the best hope for meeting Hilary Duff (who I have heard has worked with MaWF), and they also try their best to include the whole family in the child's wish, making it the best success they can for the child.

My friend, who's little girl was diagnosed with a brain tumor (3yrs old), was contacted withing 2 weeks of the diagnosis by them, and they are granting her wish to go to Disneyland following her initial treatment, so that will be 6 weeks from them finding out about the cancer. Pretty quick.

I would call Disney direct and enquire, but I have a feeling they would point you in the direction of MaWF because they contribute and it is free.

I hope somehow this little girls wishes can come true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter