Need info on KSC and Shuttle Launch

cleo

<font color=blue>Egyptian Beauty Queen<br><font co
Has anyone been there for the shuttle launch? We're thinking of taking a day out of our Disney trip to go see one that's scheduled for that week. Any opinions on if we should pay for the special viewing area or view it from another spot?

Also, if we can't get there (DH is booked into the Richard Petty Experience that morning), I've heard you can see it from Disney. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks in advance! :)

Not worth paying for the viewing area, in my opinion. You can get closer to the launch platforms in tours when there are no shuttles than when there is a launch scheduled. They do not allow spectators to come that close.

And yes, you can see what happens from anywhere in the Orlando area. The thing is, most people think they'll see a "CNN" image when in fact all you see is a great ball of fire going up into the sky. To tell you the truth, you get better views in your TV rather than in person.

For the last word on schedules just do a search on the Internet with keywords including Kennedy Space Center launch schedule, etc... And a common misconception: "rockets" stopped taking off in the 70's, shuttles take off now. If you can't see a take off, you may get to see an arrival since capsules do not drop in the water anymore but shuttles land on pavement like a plane.

Wanda

Kennedy space center has a very informative website with the launch schedule o it.

We saw our first shuttle launch last August, and it was thrilling.

We were staying at the Holiday Inn Titusville at the time which is right across the Indian River from the launch pads.

On launch days, you can view launches from their parking lot for $10. car.

Herc.

Thanks for the info! I'd already seen their website and it said Car Passes were sold out for the launch on the day we'd be there. They just had Bus Passes, but you have to pick them up in person 5 days before the launch. We'd be in Disney at that time but it would be our first day so we'd rather not do that.

Any suggestions as to where a good place to park for viewing might be, assuming we won't use the Bus Pass?

The thing is, most people think they'll see a "CNN" image when in fact all you see is a great ball of fire going up into the sky. To tell you the truth, you get better views in your TV rather than in person.

I don't think most people expect that. I suspect you did and you were disappointed.

For the last word on schedules just do a search on the Internet with keywords including Kennedy Space Center launch schedule, etc... And a common misconception: "rockets" stopped taking off in the 70's, shuttles take off now.

Actually the shuttles and the rockets are launched. A plane takes off.

And here's an idea of where to watch the launch.

http://spaceyideas.com/spaceview.html

I have seen too many launches to count. Each one is amazing, at least to me.

I have been as close to the orbitor as you can get while on the launch pad (right outside of the fence surrounding the shuttle)when I toured with a leadership group. The Shuttle is so amazing.

And just a tid bit of additional information...employees within the six mile range are in a building that has lead shutters in case anything should happen during the launch. I find the Space Center very interesting.

The schedule said the Atlantis launched April 8 and will land April 19. We will be landing in Jacksonville 1/2 hour before the scheduled landing time. Is there any chance to see any of this? Can you see it?

Jasmine, come on now.. All you see is a ball of fire going up! Knowing what went up is the thrill, as you'd have no clue otherwise. Nothing else is visible!

And, no I do not happen to be the single person on earth who thought that watching a launch meant to see the actual shuttle take off. I believe most people assume you'll be able to see a more defined scene.

Unless you are a local used to the fact that all you see is fire, it is probably within reason in terms of expectations. If anyone wonders if it is necessary to pay more to view the launch, my honest opinion based on experience is that there is no need to pay extra money to see the same view that everyone else will see standing away from viewing areas, for free!

Wanda

In March of last year my family and I went to see a shuttle launch with a car pass we got from Nasa at no charge. It was awesome and the highlight of our trip. You saw the shuttle on the launch pad lit up from across the lake where we were. We heard interviews with the crew over a loud speaker and the countdoawn and conversations with the ground crew. If you can go I suggest it. I saw a lot more than a ball of fire-we heard their voices and what can I say-AWESOME!
Betty

You can hear Mission Control's countdown all over the place at the Kennedy Space Center's visitor center for free as well!
In fact, before launch they often have briefings with visitors, giving everyone information about what is going on and letting them ask questions. Often you see live transmissions from the shuttle astronauts.

I liked that very much too.

Wanda

Originally posted by Humpbacks1962
All you see is a ball of fire going up! Knowing what went up is the thrill, as you'd have no clue otherwise. Nothing else is visible!

This was not true for me. My son & I have seen two Space Shuttle launches. With binoculars, we were able to see the orbiter lift off, make a small manuvering turn, and climb out. There is a smoke & steam cloud that blocks the view for a few seconds, but the orbiter is clearly visible for about a minute after launch. After that it is so far away that the fire trail is all you can see. We were able to see the boosters seperate, but lost sight of them right after seperation.
It is a lot of fun to watch the lift off. We were at a NASA viewing site at KSC both times.

Hercamore,

How good is the view from the Titusville Holiday Inn? How much of the launch pad & launch were you able to see? We have reservations there for the 7/19 shuttle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter