need info from WDW experts

ogre75

Earning My Ears
Hello,
I am taking my Family to WDW Nov 12-19. We are staying @ the ASMU.
My MIL will be in a scooter/evc. Will the bus transport her scooter or should I rent a car
thanks
A Disney fan

Welcome to disABILITIES :wave:

Almost 100% of the buses are equipped with wheelchair tiedowns and either lifts or ramps to carry wheelchairs and ECVs. Unless her scooter is extra long or extra wide, she should not have anything to worry about.
If you haven't already, you may want to check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board. It has a lot of information (including a write up about buses) that should be helpful to you.

we just returned 6/18 from WDW. I was temp in a WC for a broken foot.

EVERY bus driver, without exception, very enthusiastically greeted me at the back door of the bus, operated the lift, and expertly tied in the chair. They are very good at what they do, and they do it in a very friendly and professional way. You should have no trouble.

Be advised, though, that the drivers are not permitted (not supposed to) handle your chair, for liability, so MIL will need to be able to drive the chair up the lift ramp and into the bus and get it positioned where the tie ins-are.

I have never stayed at All Star, but I hear the busses get crowded. If the wheelchair seating area is already occupied when the bus arrives for you, the people will have to vacate those seats for your MIL's chair. It is the law. Insist if you must, although the drivers will be your advocate.

k

KarenCPA said:
Be advised, though, that the drivers are not permitted (not supposed to) handle your chair, for liability, so MIL will need to be able to drive the chair up the lift ramp and into the bus and get it positioned where the tie ins-are.
If she can't do it (or doesn't want to), someone else in your party can do it for her. It doesn't have to be her doing it.
If the wheelchair seating area is already occupied when the bus arrives for you, the people will have to vacate those seats for your MIL's chair. It is the law. Insist if you must, although the drivers will be your advocate.

k
Actually, if those seats are occupied, people can refuse to leave them (most will get up though). Most drivers will insist that people move if they don't move willingly, but the law doesn't say they are required to. The part the is the law (according to what some bus drivers have posted/told me in PMs before) is that if people refuse to move, the bus is considered full and can not pick up any more passengers - even if the rest of the bus is empty. That tends to get some peer pressure going and people do move.

I've taken a scooter from ASM, and I had to wait for accessible busses. It seemed like every other one was, but Sue is the expert here, so hopefully WDW has improved those numbers. Bus drivers just told people to move, and no one refused, so I don't think you'll run into problems. If they don't move, they look like real jerks to everyone else on board, but that doesn't stop some people from letting their inner jerk out for the whole world to see.

Bus drivers have posted before that almost 100% of the buses are wheelchair accessible. Each bus can hold a combination of 2 wheelchairs or ECVs.
You may run into other situations though - all the wheelchair seats may already be filled when the bus gets to your stop, the driver may know that there is something wrong with either the lift/ramp or the tiedowns or the bus may be so full that it would be difficult for a wheelchair or ECV to be manouvered onto the bus.
If any of those occurs, the bus driver should radio the dispatcher to call another bus for you.

We had a wonderful time and no trouble at all getting onto busses with my ECV. I found the bus drivers and passengers to be very friendly and patient with me getting my ECV on and off the buss.
Be sure at your resort stop you remind the driver to unload you..
One time I almost didn't make our stop.We joked that the driver just wanted our company for his route...
Deb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter