Need Ideas for things to see in San Diego for young boys

WeLuvBuzz

Mouseketeer
We're leaving in 6 days (whooo!) for DL and will spend the second half of our vacation in San Diego. We're planning on going to LegoLand and Sea World. I've heard good things about LaJolla Cove. So, I think we'll go there too. Any other ideas for little ones? Our boys are 9,7,3 and 6months. What other beaches are good for families. This is their first time seeing the ocean, so I can't wait for that. Thanks for the help!

Hi WeLuvBuzz - we are going mid August and have three kids ages 16, 13 and 6. We are going to do a tour of the Midway (former Navy Aircraft carrier). I read here on the Disboards that boys especially love this tour. We are going to do a San Diego Bay cruise the same day also. Other things we have planned is San Diego Zoo, Sea World and a day at the beach.

My two favorite family beaches are Coronado Island beach near the Hotel Del and Torrey Pines. Many others ie. Pacific Beach and Ocean Beach tend to be full of tatooed/pierced/self-absorbed/foul-mouthed/barely clothed college-age kids!! Too much education too soom for my DD!!!!

We live in San Diego...the beach in Coronado by the Hotel Del is meticulously kept up by the hotel but open to the public & is great for families. There is a roller coaster & a few other rides at the beach near Mission Bay. Pacific Beach is fun for families too - lots of restaurants around & not scary at all like PP made it sound!

Attractions in San Diego for kids:

Seaworld
San Diego Zoo (one of the best in the world)
Balboa Park (SD Zoo is actually part of the park - lots of museums incl. Science Museum & Nat'l History Museum which your boys might like - also just a fun place to walk around with fountains, rose garden, etc.)
Legoland
Old Town (lots of Mexican eateries as well as one the "most haunted" houses in the US plus lots of old-time shops)

Have fun!

Okay, okay, okay..PB's beach isn't that horrid...but I work on Garnet and am faced with the 20-something crowd everyday. So I am probably piling 5 years of less than ideal encounters into my assessment! Almost daily either myself or a coworker is almost mowed down while crossing the side streets in the crosswalks by someone who thinks 4 way stops are optional!!:eek: I get harrassed by the homeless many days as I walk to my car after leaving work. The side streets/sidewalks around Garnet are littered often with broken bottles and garbage. So, I see only the seedier side of PB. Perhaps if I walked the rest of the way west to the beach I would be less jaded!!!!
Even a fan of the beach has to admit on some days the walk down Garnet Avenue is...educational!!!
But you are right, the beach is nice, but only okay if you compare it to Coronado!!!
I also agree with the PP on other recommendations!!! Cheers!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter