need ideas for highschool graduation gifts - on a budget

Grumpy's Gal

DIS Veteran
It's that time of year! SOOOOO many kids we know are graduating. Need ideas for gifts on a budget.

Also, I need ideas for graduation gifts for kids to give to other kids....on a budget.

Thank you for any ideas you have!!

Money leis. You can make them for any amount you want. I just googled how to make them to get an idea and then made them my own way. I have made them for as little as $10 and as much as $100.

If you feel like you have to buy a "thing" and the graduate is going to college, the office supply "box" is always something they need. There are variations of what you can do so you can make it fit your budget.

For someone I don't know as well, I use a milk carton type box and put basic pens, paper, highlighters, staplers, etc. in it.

If it is someone I am closer to, I might get a larger rubbermaid type tote and fill with more of the same, or tuck some money in as well.

It's super easy to do and you can shop around (if you live in a larger town) and find some pretty inexpensive, yet cute stuff to use.

My favorite high school graduation gift is Dr. Suess' book Oh The Place You Will Go. It applies so well to that time of their lives. It may not be appropriate for everyone but for a family or friend that you are particularly close to I think its great. I give it with a note written on the inside of the book. Maybe something practical with it as well but definitely the book.

We usually give money, but if you are looking for budget ideas... hit the Dollar store. Fill a laundry basket with all sorts of things a college freshman may need (bath items, small kitchen gadgets, laundry detergent, clothespins, office supplies, push pins, paper towels, etc etc) And a roll of quarters for the washers/dryers :)

My favorite high school graduation gift is Dr. Suess' book Oh The Place You Will Go. It applies so well to that time of their lives. It may not be appropriate for everyone but for a family or friend that you are particularly close to I think its great. I give it with a note written on the inside of the book. Maybe something practical with it as well but definitely the book.

This is such a great idea but it has become very popular. My DS received 3 of them last year for graduation. Honestly, money was really the best option for him. He spent a lot of it on college expenses. August was an expensive month! :scared:

This is such a great idea but it has become very popular. My DS received 3 of them last year for graduation. Honestly, money was really the best option for him. He spent a lot of it on college expenses. August was an expensive month! :scared:

The same with the boxes of supplies. I ended up taking alot of the stuff to goodwill because we really didn't have anyplace to keep all of the shower totes, laundry bags, office supplies and all the other things. I hated it, but I wish if people wanted to do a little something inexpensive, think about fast food gift cards.

FWIW, my kids never gave gifts to their friends and their friends didn't give them gifts.

DS got 99% money and mostly from family and adult friends of ours. I really don't think the kids took gifts to each others parties, but maybe I am forgetting something. He did get one or two gift cards, and few things from his college choice. Maybe a t-shirt to each kids college choice and cash to match your budget and closeness to the child.

My DD graduated last year...one of the more memorable cash gifts was a check for $20.12. Obviously - this year the "ante" would be up to $20.13.

Sad to say - I agree that cash makes a much better gift than "stuff" due to the dorm rooms being "small". Don't get me wrong - a roll of quarters will get spent - however, most universities that we visited - your meal card "swipe-thing" is used to pay for laundry.

I also agree - that the graduating seniors really do not exchange gifts!

I was thinking of giving some of DD's close friends a Bed Bath and Beyond GC with a 20% off coupon attached. Most of the kids around here shop there for dorm stuff. I really like the idea of a check for $20.13 though...clever and not too expensive.
In visiting colleges I have also noticed a ton of kids walking around campus with VB wristlets or the zip clip ID cases attached to lanyards. Also a nice gift for a girl.

If you can swing the price, a hoodie from the college they'll attend is a great gift as well. You can order them online.

I would agree with the Vera Bradley ideas for the girls. My DD - who wouldn't have been caught dead or alive with VB in high school - loves VB now.

She did start off with a zip-clip id holder. Then fell in love with the smartphone wristlet after she saw it while we were travelling, luckily Santa noticed!:lmao:. She also received a hipster as a grad present. And for her upcoming birthday - requested a mini-hipster as well as a ribbon bulletin board.

Each of her VB's has a specific purpose - the hipster is in use this weekend, (along with the smartphone wristlet) as she is off campus. at a seminar. She loves the cross body aspect as well as the size. (Fits her camera and her kindle) nicely

If you can swing the price, a hoodie from the college they'll attend is a great gift as well. You can order them online.

This is a good idea.

To a HS graduate, cash is probably the greatest gift. Or fast food, or gas station gift cards if they have a car.

If its just for your kid's friends, I'd throw a few scratch off lottery tickets in a card. Most of the graduates around here don't exchange with eachother so it doesn't have to be something "big" if you decide too.

Money, gift cards, or a Keurig (if they drink coffee) are practically the only useful gifts! Don't do the Dr Seuss book...it's been so overdone for 15+ years...almost everyone gets one or several and the kids won't read it or take it with them to college.

Gift card wise, Amazon, Starbucks, restaurants, movie theaters, etc are all good safe choices.

Gift cards are popular here or for a girl a journal called the q and a journal. Basically you answer 1 question a day for a year. The journal covers 5 years and you go in and answer the questions year after year. It's a cool way to see where you were years before.

Ds favorite gifts last year were money, gift cards to fast food places, gas cards, and a rolling laundry hamper with bath towels. We spent quite a bit at bed bath and beyond so a gift card there would have been used.

As a freshman he got so many t-shirts from different groups, clubs, and events at his school that I would nix the shirt idea. I bought him a visor with his school logo on it though that he wears a lot.

We were at a talk last year where a speaker referenced the book Before You Leap advice from Kermit the frog. I did get him that with a sentimental message from me and his dad. Just a different book idea than Dr Seuss. He keeps it in the bathroom. The book apparently is great bathroom reading lol.

If you know where the graduate is heading to school you could get gift cards for various places near the campus.

Last HS graduation I went to was me nephew. I got him under bed storage and out towels, fabreeze etc in it. I didn't go crazy on money, and he used it all. He said the fabreeze was VERY useful in the dorms ;)

Something I've done for close friends' kids is a medicine kit or toolbox/bag.

Use an inexpensive small toolbox or Rubbermaid tote and put bandaids, Neosporin, a thermometer, Tylenol, Benadryl, Hydrocortisone....(this can get pretty expensive quickly, but can also be reasonable if you just want to get them started).

The same for a toolbox. Once I found some zippered toolbags on clearance. Your basics work well - hammer, Phillips head screwdriver, flathead, pliers, wrench, assorted nails and screws, tape measure,..... (These things don't have to be namebrand - but can be if you want to spend more.)

No one I know has ever got a duplicate, but I can see that happening if it becomes too trendy.

I love the book but I recently read on another board that her daughter had received SIX copies the previous year and they were all written in so they were trying to spread the word to people not to buy that as a gift even though it's a great book.

I LOVE that book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter