Need help

kcdivine

Earning My Ears
We are a family of 5 all 3 kids under 5 and will go to disney every other year. Now that we will need a room to hold 5 will cost more to stay at disney. We like to stay sun - sat. I would like to just get 50-100 pts first and maybe add more later?? Plus what DVC would be best for kids. Would this be a good idea for us!

We are a family of 5 all 3 kids under 5 and will go to disney every other year. Now that we will need a room to hold 5 will cost more to stay at disney. We like to stay sun - sat. I would like to just get 50-100 pts first and maybe add more later?? Plus what DVC would be best for kids. Would this be a good idea for us!

The 1 bedroom at Animal kingdom Lodge will accomodate 5 for the best use of your points and our kids love it there!
-Lesley

I think you'll need 75-100 pts to stay every other year in a 1BR. You could start with 75 and borrow some points for a few years before adding on, or if you buy resale you might get a contract with banked points. I'd buy 100 pts if you can, though. With only 50 pts I think you'll have to shorten your stay to Sun-Fri to go every other year.

We have three kids and we are in the process of buying an OKW resale contract. We just received our closing docs so hopefully we'll be official in a few weeks. I ended up choosing OKW because they are supposed to be adding a sleeper chair to the villas so a 1BR will officially sleep five, they are the roomiest of the DVC villas and the OKW units are pretty much the least expensive point-wise and resale prices are among the lowest. I always love a bargain and we don't want to spend a huge amount of money on DVC right now. I also like the condo style layout (parking at unit) and that OKW looks like a peaceful retreat from the busy parks. Everyone's personal preferences are different, of course.

One thing to keep in mind is that as of now you are allowed to book 5 people in 1BRs that officially sleep four. AKV (except value 1BRs) and BLT 1 BRs sleep five and as I mentioned they are supposedly changing OKW to sleep five. I've read that DVC does not provide towels and linens for the fifth person in a villa that officially sleeps four, so you'll have to bring sheets for a blow up mattress and share or pay extra for another set of towels.

As for most fun with kids...the BCV pool area is very popular, but all of the DVC feature pools have slides and look fun to me. Some of the pools have zero entry which is nice for little ones. We've stayed on the monorail and it is great being so close to MK, and BLT is on the monorail. You can walk to EP from BCV and BWV. AK has the animals. I would find a website with pictures of all the resorts (like allears.net) and see what looks like the most fun for your family, and remember, children grow up too quickly so keep in mind what looks fun for older kids as well.

Hope that helps a little! :)

Can you us a air mattress because will have little ones for awhile? If so don't they ask for # of guests.

Can you add point by buying another resale or do you have to go though Disney

Family of 4 here and 2 under 5 and have stayed at all wdw vacation club resorts and our favorite for kids is BLT because of having 2 pools to choose fro, having chef mickeys in resort for flight days, being able to walk to magic kingdom (which is ourmain park for lil ones)when its time to go no waiting for buses, the monorail to other resorts for meals and to epcot another way we avoid buses. We have a bigger contract but recommend grabbing a points chart and look up how many points it would take for the time of year you want to go and go with that exact number and than when the kids get bigger and you go every other year with banking points you will have 2 bedroom points. Also we use the pack and play and bring a air matress which dd4 loves...good luck

Can you us a air mattress because will have little ones for awhile? If so don't they ask for # of guests.

Yes, you can use an air mattress. For DVC members you can acutally use "Owners Locker" which is a service that stores your stuff for you and delivers it to your resort on your return. They DO ask for number of guests.

Yes, you can add points by another resale.

They do ask for # of guests, but from everything I have read you can book a DVC 1BR that officially sleeps four and put all five guests on the reservation. This is not allowed in studios, just the 1BRs.

You probably know that to start with 50-100 pts you have to buy a resale contract. After that you can add on via resale or directly through WDW.

We started out last year with a 50 point contract we bought resale. We really wanted BLT but didn't know if we really needed or wanted the 160 minimum (rumored to be going to 200 which never happened).

Once we bought, we called Disney a week later and added on at BLT, very easy to do.

Starting out buying in small is a great way to know if DVC is right for your family. There are a few DVC resorts that legitimately sleep 5 in a 1 bedroom (AKV and BLT) because they have a sleeper chair in the living room in addition to the pull out sofa. The other DVC resorts have been allowing 5 in their 1 bedrooms but you won't get bedding or towels for the the extra person and would be forced to have someone sleep on the floor or bring an air mattress with you.

Right now, I believe that you can buy direct from Disney at AKV for as little as 100 points. You can also go the resale route and probably get more points at a place like SSR for the same price. For example, 140 SSR points resale (including closing costs) would be about the same as those 100 AKV points from Disney.

If you really have no preference on where you stay, then SSR is a great deal. You can always book there at 11 months and call at 7 to try for one of 1 bedrooms at BLT or AKV.

Good luck!

We bought 150 points at SSR for our family of 5 and we go every other year for a Saturday to Friday stay in a 2BR. This way everyone has space to breath, we just got back yesterday from a spring break visit.

Okay knowledge is power! We have a resale at BLT in the works for 100 add on points and thought we were doing good offering 102.00 pp (they were asking less but we were nervous about ROFR) of course it is a different UY and what I did not know was no closing cost with DVC for add ons! Once I did the math (a bit late) I think we will be saving between 300 - 500 which is not enough for the waiting game/different UY. UGH! Live and learn, this is one time I hope it does not pass ROFR.

Okay knowledge is power! We have a resale at BLT in the works for 100 add on points and thought we were doing good offering 102.00 pp (they were asking less but we were nervous about ROFR) of course it is a different UY and what I did not know was no closing cost with DVC for add ons! Once I did the math (a bit late) I think we will be saving between 300 - 500 which is not enough for the waiting game/different UY. UGH! Live and learn, this is one time I hope it does not pass ROFR.

Are you also aware that the different UY will mean you get a different member #? You won't be able to combine those 100 points with any of your other points for a single night's reservation without doing a transfer between the two.

I know it is in ROFR, but if you really, really, are not okay with going through with it, contact your broker and see what the penalty would be to cancel. With that amount of money, I would not buy something that I was sure was the right thing.

Good luck!!!

What do people think is it a smart move buy a small resale @AK like 25 pts. reason i want to do this is because could pay cash. And get more point though Disney? Is so what would disney charge me to add 25 more pts?

Thanks

Yes I was aware of the different UY problems but was told we could use both memberships for 1 ressie. Did not know that it meant making 2 ressie and linking them or transfering points.(again knowledge) I did contact agent and as of right now I do not think it has been submitted for ROFR, agent said she is still waiting for seller's paper work which needs to be in by 3/24. I am going to call her tomorrow to see what I can do especially since I am doing the webinar tomorrow. Thanks for the info, love this forum!

do you think smart idea to start small . Like a 25 pt resale. I like this idea because could pay in full and then add point later

Why did you offer this much for a resale when you can currently (at least as of last week) get very close to this price through your guide? Are you signed up for the webcast? It's getting ready to start!

Sorry, just curious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter