Need help with when to buy airline tickets???

patman2011

Mouseketeer
This will be the first time we are trying to fly to Disney and I am worried. We are in San Antonio and I have been watching Southwest every day to see if the prices will go down. We are going from Dec 10 - 18th. They have been holding steady for a month now but I just checked today and the flight I was thinking about booking just went up 20 bucks. I was hoping they would go down some before I booked but I need some advise on when to book these tickets. I know no one can perdict the future on when they will go down but for people who have booked flights in the past is this as cheap as they will get??? In the past have they gone down before Dec or will it just keep getting worse the closer it gets. Thanks for any help you can give.

This will be the first time we are trying to fly to Disney and I am worried. We are in San Antonio and I have been watching Southwest every day to see if the prices will go down. We are going from Dec 10 - 18th. They have been holding steady for a month now but I just checked today and the flight I was thinking about booking just went up 20 bucks. I was hoping they would go down some before I booked but I need some advise on when to book these tickets. I know no one can perdict the future on when they will go down but for people who have booked flights in the past is this as cheap as they will get??? In the past have they gone down before Dec or will it just keep getting worse the closer it gets. Thanks for any help you can give.

I've never gone in December, but I have flown SW before. I booked my tickets at the end of January for an April trip. My prices were the lowest that they got. I think it's too early...but, please don't hold me to that. I hope others will respond to this that know more about Dec. travel that can give you advice as well.

I was waiting to see the prices for my December trip. I was going to fly Southwest out of Manchester NH. In the last 3 months the prices have gone up almost 20%. I checked flights out of Burlington Vt. and found flights on Jet Blue that were $200.00 cheaper than the listed Southwest fares. I purchased the Jet Blue tickets 3 days a go. The price was too low to pass up.

Usually about three months before your trip is a good time to book. However, there really is no rule about the best time to book a flight. There are so many variables that you just have to make the best decision for you.

If you are looking at SW and are planning of traveling again, you can receive a credit if your flights go down in price and you modify your reservation.

I use the travel search engines like travelocity, orbitz, etc. to see what prices are but I always book directly with the airline.

You can also use sites like bing to track airfares and sites like travelzoo for deals.

Many fares go up on the weekends, then go back down during the middle of the week. Check your fares again on Tuesday or Wednesday.

one very nice thing about booking with Southwest - you can rebook any part of it if it goes cheaper! You do not get "cash" back, but will get a travel voucher good for one year from the first booking.

I have a $200 one from my trip in October so far!

If you buy into the whole idea of predictions, Bing Travel is suggesting that you buy now (with 80% confidence), as prices have been rising or holding steady.

If you are looking at SW and are planning of traveling again, you can receive a credit if your flights go down in price and you modify your reservation.

one very nice thing about booking with Southwest - you can rebook any part of it if it goes cheaper! You do not get "cash" back, but will get a travel voucher good for one year from the first booking.

I have a $200 one from my trip in October so far!

I forgot about this part. My parents have done this several times, and then used their vouchers for future trips.

Last year, we went to WDW on those same dates, and I purchased our tickets (Delta) from Wichita on June 1 at $240.

On August 1, the cheapest tickets were $245. On September 15, the cheapest tickets were $236. On October 15, the cheapest tickets were $226.

I stopped keeping track at that point, as I wasn't interested in seeing how much more I might have saved had I waited even longer. ;)

But I don't know that our experience last year has any predictive value at all for your situation this year.

We've gone this same week in December for the past few years and the fares are definately up. Matter of fact, the tickets I purchased on SW are more than I have paid to Orlando in 6 trips. I had purchased all of our return tickets and all but 1 of our outgoing flights in the event that the fare went down and I figured I could use the credit for that last ticket once the price went down. I got fooled and the flight I wanted to book actually went up 23 dollars and it's remained there. I got it and figured if anything goes down, I'll just take the credit. I will have a free R/T after my December flight though ya hoooo

Sign up for their e-mails and specials. Do not book on the weekends thats when their prices are up, for some reason lots of people book on the weekend and the prices seem to be higher. Wait till Tuesday and start checking prices, I've found they seem to be offereng their lowest prices on Thursday. Usually after I get an e-mail I check the prices. Once you find a special that seems to be low, book it.

Don't panic if prices are up, in 2 weeks time they will offer lower prices again. Just keep checking.

We fly SW all the time and Im constantly watching the prices and we just bought our tickets for our Sept trip! We are paying $179/person and that includes EB!! Just keep watching and click on their low fare calendar too....the day I got these 2 days later the prices have doubled so you have to watch daily and look later at night...also download DING and you will get notices on your computer anytime theres a special going on

If you buy into the whole idea of predictions, Bing Travel is suggesting that you buy now (with 80% confidence), as prices have been rising or holding steady.

I looked at that for a family member's trip last week. It gave me about an 80% buy suggestion.

The ticket was almost $500 for 2 people. Knowing it was Jetblue, their prices can fluctuate at any moment.

A week later, it was down to $388 for the 2 people.

I'd not bother with Bing prediction.

We booked SW from Nashville to Orlando last September for a December flight. It was one way and in the next couple weeks the price dropped twice. I think the original ticket was $99 and fell to about 85 and then 75--so a 25% decrease. We got the credits and used them later.
I do agree with above posters to book on Tues, Wed, or Thurs.

We are going in Nov. I just booked our flight on SW. I paid $93 dollars each way per person. A day before that it was $84 dollars. Still think I got a good deal since I do not have to pay for bags. Good Luck, BUT KEEP LOOKING DAILY.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason, really.

2009:
Travel Dates Sept 12 - 18
Time Airfare was booked: May 5
Price paid for 4 adults: $640

Travel Dates Sept 11-19
Time Airfare was booked: July 30
Price paid for 4 adults: $656

This year we were even set on driving down b/c flights before this past week were almost 2x what we paid last year, and that was just way too much money. Luckily I kept checking back & they were running a sale last week. So less than 2mo out we got the best deal they have posted since like April.

We are also in San Antonio and are travelling to WDW on the day you return. :goodvibes I have been watching airfare but likely won't buy until September or October. We have not flown to Orlando in December before, but travel a lot in December and fares always seem to drop in the fall. When I have travelled to Orlando in the past, I have always bought my airfare around the 21 day mark and have had the best fares then. Won't be taking my chances with that for Christmas travel, though! Good luck and enjoy your trip! :santa:

I second the response of the person who suggested you download Southwest's DING program. We have gotten airfare from Raleigh, NC to Orlando for $120 round trip when others were paying over $200. The catch is you have to be willing to wait for the sale to come up and sometimes that isn't until 60 days before leaving. (The DING specials I have been getting have been for September.) Since there are only 2 of us (both adults) flying I'm willing to take that gamble. My brother who has 4 in his party (including 2 kids) booked in March or April for our October trip.

Last year for our December trip, I bought tickets in May because I knew the price was good ($187).

This year I bought tickets for our October and November trips in March. The October tickets have gone up $100 a ticket since I bought! The November tickets have remained steady. I love my kayak app to check airfare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter