need help with ticket options

mikayla'sMom

Mouseketeer
My family of 4 have been to the world about 20 times. We have enjoyed the benefits of AP's many times when we could get 2 trips out of them. This year our trip will be a total of 9 days. We do not plan on touring the parks the whole time, after all, there is so much more to WDW than parks.

Our options are DVC AP's, New Park Hoppers or a collection of used and unsued days on various tickets accumulated over the years. I would like to keep the unused old tickets since they only grow in value every year and we have the money this year to get them. I am rather frugal and told DH if we get hoppers then we will spend open to close in the parks. He does not like that idea. Another point is, we like to eat at many places that are in the parks. I know I would love to do the AP's, but I can't see waisting money either. We visit WDW the same week every year, so this will be the only trip. If we went with out AP's I think we would spend 5 days in the parks. We are also not big on the water parks.

Please help me decide:confused3. Thanks in advance.

If your kids are 18 or under then you may want to check out the Disney Youth Education Program: http://www.disneyyouth.com/individual-enrollment/.

You can get heavily discounted tickets (we saved $650 on tickets for the 4 of us) and the kids can take advantage of some great learning experiences in the parks. You can get up to 8 day tickets and even if you didn't use all 8 days worth they are so heavily discounted it might not matter to you.

They open up classes all the time and I believe they have the schedule through October posted now. You just have to book a single class with 1 child to take advantage of the discounted tickets for the 4 of you.

Once you're past the 4th day, additional days on a MYW ticket are not expensive. Were it me, I'd get a 9 day ticket. The extra $5 - $10 dollars is worth the flexibility of being able to hit a park (even if just for a few hours) for a restaurant, quick parade or fireworks. Even if that day wasn't planned as a "park day."

I'm also a big fan of park hopping. It's a big chunk of change, but when you consider it across the entire 9 days it doesn't seem so bad. Again, this is for the flexibility of being able to do something at a park without having to dedicate an entire day to it.

Since you're going to be there as long as you are, I don't think the no-expiration option would be a good choice. No expiration tickets usually only pay off if you're able to get two full trips out of a single ticket. If you'll only have a day or two left on a ticket, it's probably not a good value to have no expiration. Remember, you have to pay the no expiration fee on all days of a ticket, not just the ones that are left. Knowing that the ticket expires whether it gets used or not will help you with your "don't want to waste a day" thoughts. I used to struggle with that same thing, not wanting to spend a whole day's ticket for a few hours. But, if you consider your 9-day MYW Park Hopper as a length-of-stay pass (similar to an annual pass), you'll tend use it how you want to use it.

My wife and I are having the same issue. The PH option is really expensive compared to what is used to be. I think we are planning on a 5 DAY MYW base ticket this time around and plan our days in the park very well. We enjoy eating in resorts also - so we have to be mindful of travel time between the park we select that day and the resort, etc. For example we are planning to eat one evening at Ohana's so we want to plan to be @ either MK or Epcot that night to use the Monarail. I would plan out your days first based on park hours/operating schedules and then purchase based on that.

Good luck!

I so appreciate all the advice. I did look into the class thing and am waiting to see what they have in Nov. for my DD 11. I just checked the prices and they are not as close as I thought. I think I will go with 9 or 10 day hoppers. I may also consider getting one AP so that I can have the TIW card. We prefer table services, so it might be worth it for us.

Thanks Everyone!

I would if I were you is buy my tickets thru AAA . If you are a member their . I bought a 10 hopper with no exp and saved almost 30.00 verse waiting to buy thru disney ,plus the saving grow even more because the cost per day average goes way down .

I would wait to add the park hopper once you are there. We've had times when we get it ahead of time then find that we don't hop! Wait until you have the burning desire to leave the park you're in for another one and add the hopping then. That way in case you don't hop...you didn't waste your money!

That is a good point, since it does add extra money. We are going early in November, so park hours are not the best. Plus MK will have MVMCP. We love EPCOT and can always go there late. I will keep it in mind though.

Thank you!

Hellerjw,
Thanks for the tip on Disney youth education program. We just enrolled our 4 kids and saved quite a bit on tickets $$$. Thanks again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter