• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need help with plans!!!

maximom

Mouseketeer
First of all this is not only our first trip to Disney but pretty much our first family vacation since DH & I married 7 years ago! (BTW DH is really tired of hearing about the plans).

We're leaving St. Louis July 31 and since it's such a long drive we are spending two (free) nights in Atlanta (1 night each way). So to my best "guestimate" I expect to arrive in Orlando sometime late afternoon Sunday. Too late to do anything that day. We want to spend one day at Cocoa Beach because the kids have never seen the ocean. We are leaving Orlando Friday, no specific time but don't want to arrive in Atlanta too late that evening.

Anyway, back to the plans. Originally was gonna do MK on Monday / Epcot on Tues / MGM Wednesday / Beach - Thursday and leave Friday. Now, I've been thinking that my family would really enjoy going to SeaWorld which means one Disney park would have to go. BUT WHICH ONE!!!! You gotta do MK so that's a no brainer. DS LOVES Toy Story so I'm leaning toward keeping MGM and not doing Epcot but I had planned on doing the Ice Cream Social...... ARGH what to do?

I've even thought about doing 2 days at MK / 1 day @ Seaworld and no other parks.

For a first trip what would you recommend. I don't want to overload the family by cramming in too much in a few days. Is Seaworld that great???

Thanks in advance!

That is a long trip to see so little of WDW. I would do WDW over Sea World. How old are the children? While some kids love MGM it has always been my DS's least favorite. If you do not plan to return to WDW some time in the next few year, I would try very hard to at least hit all four parks. Please don't base you MGM decision on Toy Story. There is really not that much at MGM. The buz ride is at MK. AT MGM there is a meet and greet but we have been there twice when they never showed up because it was rainy. There is also Pizza Planet, but it really a fast food pizza place and arcade. The Toy Story characters are in the PM parade. I DO love MGM but would hate for you to go just for TOy story and be disapointed. Good luck and happy planning.

Jordan's mom

How old are your children? Where will you be staying? I guess with only a couple of park days you will have one-day one-park tickets, so park hopping would not be an option, right? I agree that you can't "do Disney" without seeing the MK, but Monday is one of the busiest days of the week for MK. This is what I would do (or something similar):

Sunday- how about the Hoop De Doo dinner show? (or the Luau? or 'Ohana? -- something special)
Monday- Sea World
Tuesday- Cocoa Beach
Wednesday- Magic Kingdom, make sure you see Wishes fireworks
Thursday- Epcot with Illuminations, or MGM with Fantasmic
Friday- maybe breakfast at Chef Mickey's before leaving?

Edited to add: I agree with previous poster though, I would skip Sea World to do "more Disney" lol.

OK, ages of the "kids" are 17 (will turn 18 week after our trip) and 5. I doubt that we go again in the next few years, the reason for this big trip this year is that I'm afraid to put it off any longer. My oldest will be off to college this fall and who knows how many more years he'll vacation with us anyway.

We are on a budget since college is just around the corner. I haven't totally made our selection as far as lodging but have narrowed it down to HIFS and Tropical Fun Suites.. which I tend to be leaning toward since I've never read any bad review about the place.

We weren't planning on a a character dinner but I had thought about the ice cream social at Epcot. Until I thought about adding SeaWorld I was going to try for a 3day PH (if they are still available) and do MK / Epcot / MGM

I agree Monday might not be the best day to do MK! DH insists on doing the beach last... who knows why but that's the only input he's given so I hate to ignore it!

Decisions... DEcisions....Decisions.

I would rather enjoy fewer than try to do too much on a short trip.

Originally posted by maximom
I would rather enjoy fewer than try to do too much on a short trip.
I agree. Maybe check out all the attractions at allears.net or here and see which park appeals the most to you. I still wouldn't do MK on Monday, though, either Tuesday or Wednesday would be MUCH better. To me, the beach would be a nice "down" day in the middle, but if your DH insists...lol

Not sure about the 3 day hoppers, have you checked mousesavers.com? The best deals are usually there along with so much other info on saving money.

I would suggest going to Epcot before MK, Epcot is great when you're older, but will seem like a let down after MK for your 5 y.o. This may also solve your MK-on-Monday dilemma, too.
Another idea is to let you 18 y.o. pick between Sea World and MGM. You'll probably have to split up at MGM, there are things other than Toy Story for your 5 y.o., but he probably wouldn't like everything that your 18 y.o might enjoy. If it might be your "last" family vacation with him/her for a while, it might be nice to let him choose.
Good Luck!:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter