Need help with NOW Budget trip

Momto3Disneyprinces

Earned my Ears Long Ago
Ok, so I have messed up the family finances....(We are already dealing with that, and hubby will be handling the bills from now on!) But, we leave in 4 weeks, and we do not have the dining plan....We are 3 adults and 3 kids (9,4,2.9). They are picky eaters, and the younger two will probably eat mostly off of one of our plates. How much cash do we realistically need without the dining plan. We should have about 1200-1500 to bring on the plane, and will have access to another 600-700 while we are there..(Direct Deposit, and the debit card.) We have Magical Express, and will not be renting a car, so we are hostages to hotel prices....I thought I would maybe pack Peanut Butter and Jelly in the luggage, and buy a loaf of bread down there. And maybe a bottle of juice for the kiddos. Would it be worth it to have Garden Grocer bring $50 worth of food to the room to have snacks on hand? We are staying at the Port Orleans Riverside, so the food court will be good. (We have always enjoyed it.) Can you pack PB&J in your carry on? I am a little worried about the weight of the suitcase if we check it.

Thanks for any advice!! You all are the best!!!!

I realized last time we were at WDW that the hotel food courts usually have PB & J in little containers along with all the other condiments (ketchup, mustard, etc.) So, I wouldn't worry about bring PB & J in the luggage - just use the stuff from the food court.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they carry bread in the hotel gift shops - even though it will cost you a little more, it may be easieist to just buy it there instead of bringing it with you. If you decide to bring it with you, I would suggest putting it in some sort of a box to keep it from getting squished.

The fruit is priced reasonably at the resorts and parks, so you could make your own PB&J's for lunch, pick up a piece of fruit and a free cup of ice water - there's one meal for the day!

I guess it depends how many days you're staying. Our family of four can get by on $150/day and that includes some beer and wine.

You should go look at the menu prices on www.allearsnet.com. She has the prices listed too. That will give you an idea. When we went last June I have $1500 budgeted for 4 people for 8 days. 2A,1 12yr old, and a 9 year old. Both boys. We ate breakfast at the food court at Pop every day but one we did a character breakfast, and ate counter service most days. We did eat at the rainforest cafe twice and once at sci fi dine in. we are not big snack eaters but did have ice cream a few days. I came in under budget. I think you will be fine. If you have a lot of table service meals booked, you may want to rethink some of those.

Sorry, I have no advice but wanted to let you know that you cannot take PB in your carryon. We went to Baja last summer and my BFF took PB (she's on a special diet so she wanted to take her own stuff) and they wouldn't let her take it on the plane, she had to toss it. :( Brand new, unopened and in the trash it went.

You already have your tickets I am assuming? You have +/-$2K in cash and you are wondering what to eat? We eat at California Grill and the like, and I can't imagine spending $2K on food. How long are you there for??

You don't mention how long you'll be staying, but like the others said, you can probably do reasonably well figuring $150-200 per day if the kids won't be getting their own meals. If you forgo table service meals you can probably save even more, but I hate spending the rediculously high prices for counter service food that really isn't that good.

You might want to consider renting a car to save money on food. Again, I don't know how long you'll be staying, but you should be able to get a car for less than $200 for a week. You could probably make up more than that if you were willing to leave the park for a fast food dinner for a few nights.

The down side to leaving the parks for dinner is just that... you have to leave the parks. It's a pretty big time and energy committment to walk out of the park and get to the car, then drive off the disney property, eat, drive back, and walk back into the park. You can definitely save money this way, but you're not going to want to do it for lunch and dinner every day for a dinner.

HTH,
Brett

We do dining plan but the last time I went without it - there were 3 adults and two kids and there were some pretty good options that kept things budget for us...

At cosmic rays - they sell 1/2 a chicken for 9.00 - we got two of those and fed all of us! They also sell an 8 piece ck nugget meal that you could get for $7.69. For under $30 you could easily feed all of you!

At any food stand - I also often ordered a double cheeseburger and cut it in half to share (or you can get an extra bun for a minimal charge) and make 4 burgers out of two doubles for $15. The hot dogs are a good size so you could add one in and have the little ones split that and again you have another meal for under $30.

Pizza at Pizzafari and Toy Story Pizza Planet are about $6 each - you could order 4 of those and feed all of you -

At Epcot in the Land the portions are generous and you could all eat there on 4 meals for under $30.

So for at least one meal a day - you could be under $30.

Are you planning on any sit downs? That would be where you would need more money - but if you are happy with counter service then I would think you could eat for under $100 a day!

With regard to the peanut butter and jelly... my son recently went to Egypt and packed pb/jelly/nachos, etc. in his checked luggage and had no problem.

We are a family of 6 ( 2 adults, 18, 16, 14, 10) and we have b'fast in (usually a DVC villa), lunch at counter service and dinner at a nice TS restaurant and spend approx. $200-$225 per day ... so you should be fine:thumbsup2

I was going to mention Cosmic Ray's too - that half chicken is huge and pretty tasty!

Since you won't have a car & are limited on how much and what you can bring on the plane - it might be a good idea to price out some things at Garden Grocer - or look at your local store & consider shipping a box. I'd just caution to make sure that whatever you spend in groceries that you are truly off-setting meal costs. We like to keep breakfast type foods, snacks, water, & juice in our room.

When we go, we typically budget $150-$200 a day for food (including snacks/drinks not at mealtimes).

Have you looked at mousesavers to see if there are any discounts you can take advnatgae of--maybe lower your room cost? (With a discount you may even be able to get two rooms at a value).

Also CALL Disney and ask if there is a PIN code attached to your name....sometimes when I call there is and I don't get a postcard or email. With any luck maybe free dining is attached:wizard:

If you can spare a suitcase fill it with snacks, muffins, donuts, etc. Things you could easily eat in your room or take to the parks for snacks. Also--don't forget bottled water---you can save a ton of $$$$ by bringing your own.

Stroller rental--are you planning on renting? That can add up--bring your own from home.

HTH.

Why not mail a care-package with bread and PB and snacks? If you mail it early, you can just send a box less than 16 inches long on each side via First class mail.

Address it to yourself at the actual address of your resort (call them and ask for it) and make sure you put in red sharpie on the front your arrival date.

Don't rent the car, that's spending an extra $200 that you won't use enough to warrant the cash. Magical Express is great. Also, think about putting in the box those snack crackers with PB and snackie stuff like that.

Or, is there a way to postpone your trip without incurring a $$$ penalty until you recover from the mistake made?

Bring as much as you can in a checked-bag OR get a couple handfuls delivered: Juice boxes (in a rubbermaid container AND ziplocks), water bottles, bagels, muffins, cereal, bread (I would recommend bringing this because I don't THINK the food courts sell loaves - I have a special bread-shaped rubbermaid container that keeps it from being squished in the luggage - try that), snacks - granola bars, animal crackers, cookies. And yes, I bring PB and jelly packets. If you do most of your breakfasts in your rooom with the muffins, bagels, cereal (with milk purchased at food court) and maybe buy a couple bananas or other fruit to go with it). AND, if you bring a few PB&J's for the picky eaters who might not even WANT what you end up with at a restaurant in the park. (we always bring a soft sided cooler stocked full). Then, start with 2 - 3 meals at each sitting at CS restaurant - some days the kids don't even want to eat and I end up wasting food. You can ALWAYS go order another meal if everyone ends up finishing it all (or you can just grab micky ice cream bars soon afterward to fill everyone up). If a child doesn't want what you're having - whip out the PB&J.

I think with this strategy and keeping it to a couple sit down meals total for the trip- you likely could average $100 - $150 per day - way closer to the $100 if the kids choose PB&J a lot.

I almost forgot - drinks are a HUGE drain on the food budget, IMO. THink ICE WATER! WHen sharing meals - if the 'combo' comes with a drink ask for a large one, then get cups of ice water for those who need more to drink. I have also been known to bring a 'canteen' or sports water bottle and fill it with ice water from the restaurants for walking around the parks.

You don't say how long you are staying, but you have a trip of a lifetime planned and it is totally possible to eat for what you are talking and not have a car. Since two of your kids are pretty small, you will do even better. CS meals at WDW are pretty large meals. You can always buy a couple and share them. Order the double cheeseburger and buy an extra bun. That's two burgers in one!! Also, bring some of the individual packets of Kool-Aid to use (you can find them at the dollar store or buy the grocery store brand) and use them in bottled water. A bottle then use the water fountains to refill.

have you considered adding the DDP? If my math is right, you can add it for around $87/day. Since each of your kids are 9 or younger they are $8.99. 2 adults are $29.99/day. I believe you can add it up to 5 days before your arrival. We still plan to eat breakfast in our room, then take advantage of our credits for dinning in the parks, etc.

Thanks for all the good advice...I am thinking lots of Counter Service, and the Food Court...(The Pizza will be good for 1 or 2 nights, dinner for under $30). We are going for 9 nights, and we cannot move or cancel as we already have airfare, and to change the tickets would be more than we would save. I think we are going to be just fine, it's DH who is panicking. He got spoiled the last couple of times having the dining plan. Actually, until we got Free Dining the last couple of trips, we never did alot of sit-down meals. We did mostly counter sevice. Plus, I have already warned my oldest that there will not be alot of souveniers this trip, which he is fine with. He has enough hats and swords and t-shirts....and the little ones don't really care one way or the other. The only thing I am dissappointed about is we can't buy MNSSHP tix....We may look into them once we have been there for a couple of days, and see how money is going, but for all of us, it would be almost $300. But, they have been before. Maybe we will head over to Fort Wilderness for movie night. That's always fun. Plus, the little ones aren't going to be up for much at night after going all day.

We always eat a big breakfast provided free at the hotel. We pack all kids of filling snacks like peanut butter crackers, granola bars, trail mix, etc. With the snacks are our lunch, and is enough to satisfy everyone. We stay so busy nobody wants to stop and sit down to eat anyway! :) Then we all relax and have a nice dinner.

, so the food court will be good. (We have always enjoyed it.) Can you pack PB&J in your carry on? I am a little worried about the weight of the suitcase if we check it.Thanks for any advice!! You all are the best!!!!

You are right to be concerned, 5 people bring a lot of luggage. Remember that all airlines (except SW) charges for baggage now. Any where from 15-25 bucks/bag. Any thing over 50 lbs gets hit with a $50 fee. That adds up. I probably would go with gardengrocer. We've found them to be great.

Is the Disney Freee dining option available when you are going? You might want to check out the codes board!

Are you carrying $1200 to $1500 on the plane in CASH???

If so, what happens if it gets lost. Please look for another "transport" method that has some additonal security. (Travelers checks, debit cards!)

And to the poster who lost her Peanut Butter at the idiot TSA checkpoint. next time ask for a supervisor. Peanut Butter is NOT a liquid IMHO and therefore is not banned. But the idiot was probably hungry and wanted your food!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter