Need help with Non-Disney Husband

YesYourMajesty

DVC Member SSR 2004
My husband and I bought in at SSR last year. The fact that he wanted to buy in shocked me to no end, as he is not a Disney fanatic like I am. Finally, this October we will be going on our first trip back since we became DVC members in August of 04. He has made it very clear that he does not wish to spend his yearly vacation in Disney World or doing Disney related things. He always has a good time when we are there, but he believes that there are other things to see and do other than Disney. (Is he crazy!?!?)

I need to give him some sort of magic makeover. I would love for him to see WDW through my eyes, as a place of hope, love, and fun. He just sees it as a place with rides and good restaurants. Any advice on what I can do to really knock his socks off for this October trip? I want him to love it there as much as I do. I have purchased tickets for MNSSHP and we will be going to Food and Wine, we are staying in a 1 Bed at WLV. Is there something I can show him or lead him to experience that will turn him into a Disney fanatic? I am willing to spend money on tours or whatever. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your help. (By the way this is my first post).

Welcome to the DVC Forum!

Does he golf? Lots of opportunites to do that in the area. Also - if your timing is good, you might be able to get tickets to the annual pro golf tournament held in October. IIRC, it's now called the Funai something.

How about a Segway tour? Many adults have reported that was loads of fun.

Side trip to Vero Beach for a night or two? Ripley's Museum?

I'm sure others will add some more suggestions.

Best wishes -

I wouldn't try to force it too much. At least he likes it a little bit and you've got your DVC.

But if he's willing, I might try one of those Keys to the Kingdom tours. Some people, like my husband, and are never going to get into the sort of over the top, feel the magic, Pixie Dust thing of Disney--- some days I don't feel that into it either. But he loves Disney for the technology and artistry of the attractions, and the invention and artistry of the parks themselves. He's a big Walt fan as an innovator, but he's not someone who is going to get misty eyed over the 3:00 parade. And that's fine.

We have enjoyed these extra things to do: Segway Tour, Behind the Steam Train Tour, Cirque du Soliel, PI-Adventurer's Club and Comedy Warehouse. Discovery Cove to swim with a dolphin was a thrill of a lifetime.

Maybe think about what he is really saying he wants to do on vacation. Does he want an action packed week or does he really want to slow down to rest a little? I know we have enjoyed WDW more when we have agreed to stop being park commandos.

Oh Boy, can I relate...We are going to Vero and HH this year with our points, and those trips are planned, partly, as a way of saying thanks to my husband for letting us buy into DVC. He is the Anti-Disney~ :rotfl:

Maybe, he can learn to love Disney because of the wonderful memories that the two of you make together while you are there...ahem...I hope you get my meaning...(Extracting my mind from the gutter) :rolleyes1

Good Luck!!

Would the Richard Petty driving experience interest him?

Spend some time enjoying the resort. We like to boats, and walk to FW and do some things there. We always say we want to rent bicycles, but so far, we've always been to busy.

Have a great time!

Bobbi :flower:

I have to say, one of the things that keeps bringing me back as a guy is the overall engineering and technology of all the rides and the parks. A tour would definately be in order.

Have you both visited the resorts? The moderate and deluxe are very nice and worth a trip. You can admire the theming and shops at each. Eating at the various resorts is magical as well.

Another thing that keeps bringing me back to WDW is just the overall convenience. I have taken trips to big cities and even resorts at tropical places like the Carribean. Let me tell you that when you are at these places getting around is not as easy as you may think. In fact it can discourage you from even leaving your hotel. WDW practivally invites you to leave your hotel. The transportation is worry-free, the parks and resorts are very inviting, and it's all so close to you. You won't have to drive across town, or even across a country to get somewhere.

Don't forget you can take a Disney Cruise with your DVC points.

If you get a chance take a Water Mouse out on the Seven Seas Lagoon, or Bay Lake. Seeing the Magic Kingdom from a Water Mouse is fantastic!

Take a Wishes, or Illuminations cruise. You can also enjoy the Fantasmic Dinner Package. You get to choose from 3 or 4 restaurants and then you get preferred seating at the Fantasmic show. Very romantic!

Enjoy whatever you do!
ADP :goodvibes

Well I can relate to you, because my dh doesn't seem to get the magic either. He would rather be fishing in northern ontario than spend any day in disney world. However, that said, he actually decided to buy into dvc this past year when we were in disney with our kids (1,6).

You ask why? Because he said he loves to see me happy and he knew that disney would bring lots of magic to me and the kids. We also did crunch the numbers and agreed the savings were definitely there over the long term.

So, maybe instead of trying to convince him to love disney, just tell him thank you for agreeing to buy the dvc so that you can enjoy it.

And as others posted there is lots to do outside of the parks.

In fact, our last trip didn't even include the parks at all, and the next trip is 7 leisurely days at okw, and maybe 1 day at mk.

Enjoy the many years of dvc!!!

Rent out your points for a year and skip Disney. Let hubby make all the plans for his "dream trip" within the same budget you usually spend at Disney. DVC can work for people who want to occasionally vacation elsewhere too.

You should consider VB and HH as stand-alone non-Disney options. With planning, you may want to do an II trade for another timeshare. Some of those trades have been reported here as being equal DVC resorts in quality.

Have fun!

I second the idea of the Behind the Scenes tours. We have done most of them over the years, and my DH and adult DS think they are some of the best parts of WDW! We especially like the big Keys of the Kingdom one (I think that's the one) It goes behind the scenes at 3 parks and takes most of a day. It goes a bit into the technology (not quite far enough for my men) and gives some great behind the scenes secrets. We have done this one 3 times, and each time it was different and very informative and fun.

I'm a DVC owner, I love Disney and WDW, but your husband has a point. There ARE other places to see and go besides Disney and, like him, I'd be unhappy if my wife kept squandering chances to see the world with trips to WDW over and over. Your husband will probably loosen up if he knows that you've got another trip scheduled someplace else as well. Then he won't feel as if WDW is hogging all his travel opportunities. Continue to alternate locations and you may find the tension easing.

Maybe just the visits to WDW will bring him around. 5-6 Years ago I told my wife we would do a WDW trip every 3-4 years.My kids are 10,9 & 3 and in the last 6 years we have gone 5 times! I can't get enough, so we are now signing the papers for 175pts. in SSR and will probably go every year. (I suspect we will be adding on) If you go one year and stay away from the parks he may have a different perception of WDW. I am a layed back person but become someone else in WDW! :cool1:

3 years ago I had to beg and plea to purchase DVC points. We did with severe reservation on his part. He said since we just went there we wont be trying our points for 2 years. But, I talked him down to waiting 1 year! Once we stayed in a one bedroom he was spoiled for life! Now granted he is pretty thrifty. The deal was for me to cook in the villas and that sold him on it. To be honest, I didn't mind cooking because we got to spend that 500.00 savings elsewhere. Can you say add on?

After the last Disney vacation, he came up with...we can't go for another 2 years because we just went. There are other places to travel to. Just in May we went on a cruise with Royal Caribbean. This is not like Disney at all. Went to OKW for 3 nights and he said it felt like "Home". That was it. He now is hooked and likes his entertainment under one roof! We agree that there are other places in this great wide world to see, but they will be our "mini" vacations. We are both excited now as we booked the 7 night cruise and will spend 4 nights at OKW.

Maybe someday your husband will feel the same :) I never thought the day would come when my husband we become a Disney fan!

Deb

My hubby is a disney convert, so I have some experience here. I'll list what he likes now about our disney trips and maybe it will help you.

Hubby loves going to disney because the kids have fun, but he hates the commando thing. We get up first thing in the morning and do a park for a couple of hours, then head back when the heavy crowds start arriving. We spend many afternoons by the pool, at the pool bar, or (at WLV) sitting on the rocking chairs or in the iron spike room having our favorite beverage. He plays games (I pack them) with the kids, and they like renting bikes/boats (especially at WLV).

We spend at least half of our evenings at Epcot. He loves walking around, snacking on interesting food, and getting interesting beers. We walk around the boardwalk and let the kids watch the entertainment.

I always pack a scented candle and bubble bath because hubby loves the bath tub. He likes nothing better than sitting in the tub with the shutters open watching sports on TV :confused3

I always get the one bedroom because he likes having some privacy when the kids are sleeping. Makes for a different kind of vacation ;)

I always use the grocery stop and get his favorite beverage, his favorite snacks, and some really yummy coffee and desserts for our private time at night.

We make PS's at 1 or 2 new restaurants, but then eat at familiar restaurants the rest of the time. He likes having something new to look forward to, but he seems to like knowing what to expect when we eat (and we always have to eat at Germany for lunch so he can drink his weight in Becks Dark).

Don't force the issue. He'll come around--mine just planned a 2 week trip for August for me (because my mom just passed away) and I can tell he's actually looking forward to it.

Jenny

Our first trip ever to DW (Oct. 99) I made us reservations at CRs California Grille. I made them specifically so we would be there for the fireworks and luckily we got a table by the window. Nothing could have prepared us for the show. The lights dimmed, the music was piped in, and when the show started we knew we were hooked! It was and has remained the most magical thing that we have experienced.

Good luck!

I am in the same situation and wish that I could convert my husband into a DH. I was pleasantly shocked that he agreed to buy DVC - but makes noises about using points for other things. The last trip I planned so we did many other things besides the parks (e.g. bikes, boats, DTD, etc). I know he enjoyed it but still didn't come around. I guess it is hard since I am planning our 4th trip of the year. What I do now is take the 2 older kids (5 and 3) myself for a week and have him join us for a long weekend. It seems to work. He agrees to one long trip a year.

Good luck.

Try the Segway tour at Epcot. It's awesome! DH and I did it last Sunday. Not only was it a pleasant ride, it was wonderful to be able to go through the World Showcase while it was empty. Afterwards, DH was trying to justify buying one. DVC members get a 15% discount. We might do it again in November.

WOW! Thank you for all of your suggestions. I think that I am going to sign up for a tour. My husband is a programmer, so he would probably enjoy one of the behind the scenes tours that focuses on engineering and what not.
I think the Segway thing sounds fun, too.

Again, I thank you for all of your help. I am so glad I decided to join this board!

I am a Disney nut, but I know it can be hard to want to go there when the costs add up. We try to focus on how relaxing it can be down there. The magic being more in the atmosphere rather than trying to fit alot in. One or two extra special things maybe, but I wouldn't go gung ho on lots of extras because then he may end up with the "it's too expensive" reason for not wanting to go. For some strange reason people get tense when they end of spending lots of money :confused3 .

Lisa :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter