Need help with Hollywood Studios Counter Service options!

We tried to get sandwiches at Starring Rolls while on our trip last October but they were sold out of them at 11:30 am. We ended up eating at Fairfax Fare and it was our worst meal of the trip. Next time we go, I would like to leave HS and eat a QS lunch elsewhere without having to go all the way back to the resort (Art of Animation) but we will not have park hoppers to go to Epcot. How close is Beaches and Cream? Where else would be convenient?

WDWfan22 is right, Big River Grille is good. Beaches and Cream is about 20 minutes by boat from DHS.

We try to not have to eat at HS most of the time, but when we do, we generally eat at the restaurants near Tower of Terror. None of it is anything to get excited about, but at least there are choices. Sometimes it's not that no one could eat any boring food, but that one person could go for a cheeseburger, another a hot dog, and another pizza. At least over there the whole family doesn't have to settle on just pizza or some other choice. And there's a produce stand. I like to share a turkey leg and some fruit with one of my children.

If the sandwich slices at Starring Rolls had mayo on them, it wasn't detectable. I found them very dry when I had one in March.

I asked for mayo or mustard and the CMs acted like it was a strange request and couldn't find anything of the sort. After about 5 minutes I returned to our table with one package of mustard that had been found all by its lonesome in box behind the counter. :confused3

So.... where are some places to go outside of DHS *but not Epcot* (no PH)? We are planning on doing QS but if it is as bad as you say it is, we may consider leaving. So, what are some good QS places that are fast and easy to get to? If I am leaving the park, I don't want to add additional time by sitting down to a TS meal.

But for the sake of everyone, feel free to list good TS and QS places!
At the Magic Kingdom theres The Columbia Harbor House. Good food and great atmosphere!!!

When we are at HS for the day, we always take the boat over to the Boardwalk and eat lunch at the Big River Grille. It has my favorite beer cheese soup ever. Way better than Le Cellier!! Very reasonable prices for lighter fare, No reservations needed, which is so rare for a TS meal.

Great Tip!! Thanks :goodvibes

Nobody has mentioned Rosies All American Cafe. With all the awesome choices at DHS (sarcasm) I thought that the menu at this place at least looks decent. 1/3 Lb Angus Onion Straw Cheddar Cheeseburger, Vegetable Burger with Cheese, Turkey Sandwich for the kids. Has anyone eaten there? We did eat at Backlot Express in '10 and it was average, but it was so packed that we had to wait in line for about 20 minutes just to order and the kids were hot and grumpy and it just was not a great experience overall, so I'm turned off by that place.

I have a couple ideas for HS. I read somewhere that Starring Rolls has sushi, if your into that. Or you could have a big breakfast before hitting the park then graze till dinner by either taking a couple snacks and/or purchasing the snacks there. Fruit cups, piece of fruit, bag of nuts, take a protein bar, popcorn (lots of fibre;) ) , carrot sticks, etc. , then have an early dinner (5ish). I find by mid-vacation for us, I tend not to be hungry at all meals. I have only had one trip where I ate small portions and seemed to be hungry at all meal times, which I hope to repeat this trip :).

O.k., been to HS around six times now, and still haven’t had much luck with the CS locations! :confused3

We eventually get tired of the same old burger, cheeseburgers, ½ chickens, ribs, fries, and such while we are in WDW. (even though ribs are my favorite food, but I’m talking real smoked ribs)

We’ve done Backlot Express, and it was o.k. :scratchin We will probably go back one of our two days. At least the Southwest Chicken salad and the Grilled Turkey with cheese (kind of like a Panini) are pretty good, and the kids like the meaty macaroni.

Been to Fairfax fare. Same ol’ chicken, ribs, dogs, etc… :tilt:

I tried to get a sandwich at Starring Rolls last year, but either they hadn’t set them out for lunch yet, or I totally missed them. :confused3 Is there a time they start setting out the sandwiches? That is an option this year for my wife and I, but I’m not sure my kids would dig it. So….

Thinking about ABC Commissary for the Chicken Curry, Asian Salad, etc… but still am hoping for other good options besides anything fried, burgers, standard ½ chickens, etc…

Studio Catering Co. for the deli sandwich, Caesar wrap, etc…? Pizza Planet?
Any help?

Thanks,:thumbsup2
Dan

I tried the Caesar wrap at Studio Catering once. It was the most disgusting thing I think I've ever eaten in all of WDW. I ended up tossing it after a couple of bites. The Chicken was slimy, goopy, mush. I will never attempt to eat anything from that location again.

I don't care for the ethnic choices at ABC Commissary, I usually end up with the Fish & Chips if I eat there.

I usually eat at Backlot Express or Starring Rolls, love their sandwiches. Occasionally I will get something from one of the places on Hollywood Boulevard (Rosie's or Eddies) but I'd rather not.

I have a couple ideas for HS. I read somewhere that Starring Rolls has sushi, if your into that. Or you could have a big breakfast before hitting the park then graze till dinner by either taking a couple snacks and/or purchasing the snacks there. Fruit cups, piece of fruit, bag of nuts, take a protein bar, popcorn (lots of fibre;) ) , carrot sticks, etc. , then have an early dinner (5ish). I find by mid-vacation for us, I tend not to be hungry at all meals. I have only had one trip where I ate small portions and seemed to be hungry at all meal times, which I hope to repeat this trip :).

Oh my! The very idea of sushi at DHS is frightening! I love sushi BTW.

OP - big breakfast, carry in snacks, buy fresh produce and Mickey bars :-)

The Backlot Express has a few new options now. You might also consider ABC Commissary. Check out the menus for both here:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningmain.cfm

Thanks NikkiBell! Ach!, looks like the Southwest Chicken Salad is gone and replaced with a Greek salad? Can anyone confirm? What's the greek salad like? I really like having chicken on my salad. I was looking forward to that Southwest chicken salad! :guilty::(

At the Magic Kingdom theres The Columbia Harbor House. Good food and great atmosphere!!!

Well, we are definately hitting up Columbia Harbor House at MK. They have grilled salmon on the menu now, so it's not just so much fried food like before. Plus I'm a sucker for clam chowder, which they have.

I think you might have missed something here...

Not sure Columbia harbour house is conveniently located near studios for lunch:confused:

:)

I LOVE sushi, but I never heard of it at Starring Rolls. Can anyone confirm? Maybe they are just California rolls? Lots of good suggestions though. Thanks. :thumbsup2

I tried the Caesar wrap at Studio Catering once. It was the most disgusting thing I think I've ever eaten in all of WDW. I ended up tossing it after a couple of bites. The Chicken was slimy, goopy, mush. I will never attempt to eat anything from that location again.

I don't care for the ethnic choices at ABC Commissary, I usually end up with the Fish & Chips if I eat there.

I usually eat at Backlot Express or Starring Rolls, love their sandwiches. Occasionally I will get something from one of the places on Hollywood Boulevard (Rosie's or Eddies) but I'd rather not.

Thanks for the heads up on the Caeser wrap. I don't tend to like stuff that's smothered in sauce either, (which I suspect the inside of the wrap is).

Oh my! The very idea of sushi at DHS is frightening! I love sushi BTW.

OP - big breakfast, carry in snacks, buy fresh produce and Mickey bars :-)

Yeah, this may end up being some of what we do, and then just find a quick snacky kind of lunch. I never have tried a Disney Turkey leg. hmm... (although they look much larger than just a snack). :)

Dan

Hollywood Studios needs help with their counter service in general. But, I'd say the best bets are Starring Rolls (note- they aren't open during dinner), or Backlot Express. Pizza Planet can be OK but very noisy!

Even after reading this thread, I have a feeling we will end up at Pizza Palace. We are the type of family that can eat ANY type of pizza.

phillymummer said:
Even after reading this thread, I have a feeling we will end up at Pizza Palace. We are the type of family that can eat ANY type of pizza.

Don't sell yourself short...

If you've ever had decent pizza (no...papa johns doesnt qualify)...then pizza planet will repulse you.

Pizza planet and abc commissary are often referred to as the worst two places to eat on property (with honorable mention to Hollywood and vine, Tony's, and nine dragons)...
That isn't by accident.

I love the southwest chicken salad at Backlot Express. Also the turkey sandwich is good too.

I really like the grilled vegetable sandwich at Backlot Express, and the Asian salad at ABC Commissary. I think Pizza Planet's okay, at least compared to the other CS pizza in Disney, (not including WPE, that is by far the best CS pizza,) but I wouldn't make a trip there unless I really wanted pizza for lunch.

Don't sell yourself short...

If you've ever had decent pizza (no...papa johns doesnt qualify)...then pizza planet will repulse you.

Pizza planet and abc commissary are often referred to as the worst two places to eat on property (with honorable mention to Hollywood and vine, Tony's, and nine dragons)...
That isn't by accident.

We eat Papa John's frequently! LOL Will we still be repulsed?

I am going to try to convince the family to hop the boat to the Boardwalk bc I love the resort from the pictures and I would love to check it out. What would a typical wait be for Big River Grille on a Saturday afternoon on Oct?

If I can't convince the family to make the trip to the Boardwalk, then maybe we will just skip lunch and enjoy a snack instead!

Or what about Studio Catering Company? We are fans of gyros. Are they any good?

I hate the thought of planning out where I might eat a QS lunch so far in advance, but knowing that the food is overwhelmingly crappy kind of makes it necessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter