Need help with driving directions & tips for NYC?

w8ting4pooh

Commando planner
DD's auditioning at Radio city wednesday afternoon. We are driving in from Central PA the morning of the audition. We're planning to stop & do the Statue of Liberty boat trip on the way.

Mapquest gave me some really crazy directions on how to get from Liberty Park in NJ to Radio City. It also said that is was 8 miles from one to the other and only 21 minutes. Yeah, right.

Here are my questions for any NYC pros/residents out there:
How long can I expect it to be from Liberty Park to W 51st Street?
We're stopping at Liberty Park since they have parking. The Manhattan side doesn't. We plan to park in a garage once we get to RCity. Is that a good plan?
How long is the walk from RCity to Times Square Toys R Us & so forth?
What's the fastest way back to the NJ Turnpike after we're all done?

I never use mapquest, they always seem to be wrong. If you'd like, you can PM me the street addresses with city/state/zip for each location including home and I'll use MS Streets and Trips on my computer. It's usually more accurate. Or try MSN for driving directions.

Rockefeller Center Garage, 48th st between 5th & 6th Aves
212 698.8530
301 West 51st St, corner of 51st & 8th Ave 212 581.8490
254 West 49th St, between 7th & 8th Aves 212 581.8590
201 West 48th St, between 8th Ave & Broadway
212 586.0665
257 West 48th St, between 6th & 7th Aves 212 262.9778
148 West 48th St, between 6th & 7th Aves 212 888.740

From Radio City's site.

http://www.radiocity.com/themusichall_directions.html

You can easily walk from RCity to Times Square. I'd park the car near Rcity & just walk. I'd also allow a good 2 hours from a bridge or tunnel. Sometimes they can be backed up for an hour with traffic.

Traffic in NYC can either go quick, or very slow. You just don't know.....

Another thing you could do is take the ferry across to NYC, leave the car on the NJ side. I think the Port Imperial Ferry is located at the park (might even be where you park for the tour, or near it). If it isn't Port Imperial maybe someone else can tell you the name. Anyway, from Liberty State park you would take the ferry across and you'll be down where the World Trade Towers were. Just catch a cab or subway uptown.

Something to keep in mind is that Wednesday is "matinee day" for Broadway. You should allow plenty of time to find parking as you may find some of the garages full if you do not come in to Manhattan until the afternoon. I would be sure you are on your way from Liberty State Park at least two hours before you are expected to be at an audition. You never know when gridlock will hit traffic and finding parking may be a problem as well.

I know my way around midtown but I'm not much help telling you how to get from NJ to midtown.

Is the Statue of Liberty trip really important? If the audition is early afternoon, I'd be concerned that you have a lot of variables that could throw you off schedule.

If I were you, I'd leave the car in NJ side. Park somewhere close to the PATH train (like Journal Square in Jersey City, or Exchange Place). Then take the train in.

Holland Tunnel is always my fav. I never drove there during peak hours on weekdays, but on week nights or weekend, when Lincoln is completely packed, Holland seems to have less traffic.

NY traffic is crazy. It could take an hour to get into the city, and it has taken me 3 hours just to get thru the tunnels. Good luck and allow plenty of time.

going home, your best bet is to simply go across town and take the Lincoln tunnel back to Jersey. if that's backed up, go downtown to Canal Street and take the Holand tunnel. that's how you will likely come into the city from Jersey City (Liberty State Park is in Jersey City).

Thanks, everyone! I knew the great DIS people would be able to help me!

I guess we'll try to get to NJ by 10 so that we can get finished by noon. That gives us 3+ hours to get into the city.

She's been Clara in the RCity Rockette's Xmas Spectacular for the past 2 years. She's trying to do it for one last year before she's too tall. She's traveled all over the country doing it & had so much fun!

That is SO cool! Being a New Yorker I go and see the christmas show every year. If she gets the part let us know. Good luck!!!!

Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter