• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need help with car rental in Mexico

CAL

Earning My Ears
I hope it is OK to post this. Is off topic (not Disney), however, come to think of it, the money I save here will be more to spend this fall at WDW, so I guess it is Disney related LOL! We are going to Cabo San Lucas in June, and are considering renting a car. We have heard taxis are expensive, and we like the flexibility of having a car. Is there someone with experience renting in Mexico? What do we need to consider? I have heard that my own US insurance is not valid there as it is here when renting.

Should I go thru Orbitz, Travelocity, etc? I called AAA and they were little or no help. Maybe calling an office in CA or another border state would be better - I just called my local office.

I would appreciate any tips, suggestions, rates, codes, etc. that anyone can offer. Thanks!

My best advice-- DON'T!!!!

First of all, you'll need an interntaional drivers license, and second, your insurance isn't valid there.

There are numerous documented cases of Mexican nationals staging accidents in order to extort money from tourists.

A friend of mine (this is not a friend of a friend of a friend, this is a real life person that I absolutely know) was involved in an accident in Mexico. A Mexican national literally jumped in front of her car as she was driving down a street--and she and her friend that she was with were both arrested in put into a Mexican jail. After going to court and giving them every penny they had on them (about $600), they were summarily taken to the border and kicked out of the country.

It's not worth the risk. The cabs aren't that expensive in the big picture, and I've always found them to be plentiful in Mexico in the tourist areas. Even a compact car with a stick shift, between the rental, taxes, and full insurance (many credit cards won't cover CDW in Mexico!) will cost $100 or more per day.

Anne

I would not do it either.

Even if a taxi driver gets into a car accident, usually they run, and the police will put you in jail if you stay at the scene. My sister saw this happen to someone. Be very careful. Thats why people usually just stay at their resort, or walk everywhere.

Have fun on your vacaction though :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter