• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need help with assignment

daysleeper

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I am writing an assignment on how Disney portrays work and the workplace. Can you think of any Disney productions that show workers or the places where they work?

Thanks,
Mark.

Wow- this question is more difficult than I would have thought! But here are some I came up with:

1. Snow White- the dwarfs going off to the mines ("Heigh ho, it's off to work I go!")
2. Mary Poppins- she is technically at work the entire time she is with the children.
3. Princess and The Frog- Tiana waitresses at two restaurants Cal's and Duke's and aspires to own her own restaurant one day. This Disney movie probably has the most to say about work and work ethic since that is a central theme of the story.
4. Pinocchio- Gepetto's workshop
5. Cinderella- scullery maid

This is all I could come up with at the spur of the moment. I'd be interested to hear what your working thesis is, as I don't know if any of these movies would fit into it. Let us know- good luck!

Thanks for your detailed reply, that's exactly what I was looking for. I am currently studying Human Resources as part of my MBA course and looking to complete an assignment on whether there is any link between what was going on within the Disney organisation and the films it produced.

If you can think of anymore films where work is portrayed I'd be very grateful for your help.

In The Incredibles it shows Mr. Incredible where he works in an office...maybe that counts?

In Pollyanna there is the hierarchy of the wealthy vs. the proletariat. The cook, Nancy, and the other servants are treated much differently by Aunt Polly than her "society" friends. Very similar situation to Mary Poppins and the father's treatment of their servants (and the policeman who retrieves the children).

Ratatouille - the kitchen is a chef's office and there is a definite hierarchy and chain of command in the movie.
Fantasia - Mickey is 'working' as the Sorcerer's Apprentice.
Tinkerbell movies - she's working and you could look to see if there is anything there that touches on the concept of 'meritocracy'.
Meet the Robinsons - some of the scenes here may qualify as well? Lewis has his own "office" to allow his creativity the freedom he needs. And the scenes of Michael/Goob selling out in a boardroom of suits would qualify too.

Is this limited to Disney cartoons or any Disney/Touchstone production?

Enchanted - there are some scenes that take place in the office. And a lot of stereotype of "women" as secretaries.
High School musical - the school is an officeplace
The Computer wore Tennis Shoes?? There are office references here too.

Another work example from Mary Poppins is with Mr. Banks. He works at the Bank and doesn't have enough time for his children, and it even has a scene of him going into the bank and having a meltdown while the evil doer higher ups at the bank look on in shock. :goodvibes

Are you looking at any specific era of Disney? Without having done research on this specific topic (although I'm a film student and wrote an essay about Disney last semester so I've read a bit about the organisation) I'd say that the classic Disney films don't really represent working environments in the same way that more modern films do, and that the representations that were there don't really show the quite rigid working practices for the filmmakers. I remember being told that the animators went on strike several times in the classical period because they weren't happy with their working conditions.

$1000 Duck
The Shaggy D.A.
Absent-minded Professor
That Darn Cat
The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes

Wasn't Newsies a Disney movie? They did a version of Annie. That show a contrast of Tycoon and Orphan House.

Fantasia 2000's "Rhapsody in Blue" shows a man looking for a job, a man unhappy with his job, and various other jobs that serve the wealthy couple. Also, the little girl's parents both are working, leaving her with a nanny. This was the first thing that came to mind when reading about your assignment.

Good Luck!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter