Need help with an itinerary for a 3 day trip with 3 yo and 2 yo

AZpharmacist

Mouseketeer
We are planning a 3 day trip in September for myself, Dh and my 2 year old. We are also traveling with another couple and their 3 year old. It is their first Disney trip and she's frozen obsessed. We took my daughter in December (she was 17 months). The rides confused her but she loved the shows. My husband and I traded her off to go on the rides she couldn't (usually during her nap or after she fell asleep in the stroller at night).

Any idea how we should plan our days? We have 3 day park hoppers

We are going in September as well with younger kids, and I expect it to be so hot that I would like to do a morning and an evening shift with the hot afternoons spent at the Hojo pool and eating lunch before a nap. I am not sure how much our grandkids will like the rides, so I plan to kind of let them choose what looks appealing and ignore the stuff they have no interest in. There are a lot of good shows, and we plan to watch Mickey and the Magical Map, the Frozen show at Fantasy Faire, Soundsational and the Pixar Play Parade, Aladdin, and any of the night time shows they will stay awake for. I think the most gentle of the rides to start out on are the fantasy land ones, Buzz Lightyear, Pooh, Toy Story, The Little Mermaid, and Monsters Inc. Once we see how they do on those, we'll try others. I also don't know if they'll be into meeting characters either, but I know they'll love running around Toontown while I take adorable pictures! Tom Sawyers Island might be fun, too, and I can't wait to explore the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail in DCA, both are areas where the kids can run free for a while after they've waited in too many hot lines.

I don't plan to stick to much of an itinerary, because I'm sure the kids would just blow it for us anyway. So it will be a slow paced relaxed trip with plenty of downtime so hopefully no one cries too much...

I plan on spoiling the kids and letting them each pick out a Mickey Ear Hat and special souvenir from Grandma and Grandpa. There are also lots of treats to enjoy, like frozen lemonade and Mickey ice cream sandwiches.

I am bringing my Disneyland spray fan and Adventureland Bizzare straw fan, plus I bought some 'frog toggs' online (moisture absorbing towels that cool you through evaporation) so hopefully between those things, frequent air conditioned breaks, and skipping the hottest part of the day we will be able to withstand the end of summer heat. We are from WA state and used to cooler climate. I expect the kids and adults to get cranky if we are all roasting and sweaty...

Have fun planning!

Tom Sawyers Island and redwood creek are wonderful ideas. We didn't get to do them in December as it rained our entire 4 day trip. Also, my daughter wasn't walking yet so she was pretty content being held or in the stroller.

Thank you for the advice on the spray fan. That's a good idea. I hope it's not too hot but we are from Phoenix, so we're used to the heat.

We will definitely be focusing on shows and parades more so than rides for the kids. We will probably take turns on the adult rides when they nap.

I'm confused by all of the Frozen activities. Can anyone recommend what we should do? Seems like there's a ton of stuff now. We will need to do the Frozen meet and greet for the 3 yo but my daughter doesn't care as she's too young

I did find that heading back to the hotel (get one that's close) for the afternoon to decompress a bit was a good plan with my kids. The park tends to be the busiest from about 1130-330 anyway, so you're really just skipping out on the hottest time of day with the biggest crowds. Even if we didn't go swimming or nap, my 3-4 year old would play on his ipad while his younger brother napped and it seemed to help getting that quiet time - made it through with no tantrums!

Since you have park hoppers, you should think about using your early entry option for one day (or all days if you are staying at a Disney hotel), if your LO's are early risers. That way you won't have to rush to do what ever you have in mind before the 11:30 rush. Keep in mind that lines tend to get longer as the day progresses, another reason to try to start early.

ADLFan, thank you for mentioning places where kids can run around! I did not realize that little ones would be welcome on the Challenge Trail; my guide book said that children had to be 42" tall. But the Disney website does not have that restriction. Yay!

Another option , particularly if it's very hot, you might want to consider bringing a bathing suit and swim diaper for Princess Dot's Puddle Park (splash pad) in a Bug's Land.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter