Need Help with a Seattle Hotel

If you're staying in the airport area, remember that there's nothing to actually see there. And it'll be a cab ride or lightrail into downtown if you're going to be doing anything. And the airport is *at minimum* half hour away by car, and that's if you're lucky IMO. Not sure how long the lightrail takes.

On days that the train is leaving so early in the morning, that area will be busy, because of people catching the train so early in the morning. Also, it's right there near the main hub of transit, and people commute early! DH commutes through there every workday and he says there is nothing to worry about in that area. Coffee places are open, too, in my experience. It's not like it's a ghosttown.

Now I do understand that some people don't live in areas with a big homeless population, and that it can be disconcerting, especially to children. Honestly I think children just don't know what it means, and then when they find out their sweet hearts just feel really bad for people. But I think grownups worry that kids will be scared, when actually they are often just flat out sad for people living in the streets. Talking about things ahead of time can be helpful. But really, a cab should take you right up there.

So, Silver Cloud is close to the Amtrak station as well? Or, since we're getting into Seattle kinda early and have most of the day there, should I stay closer to Pikes Market or something and explore a bit? How far of a cab ride would it be from the station to that area, and which hotels there are good? Super helpful thread.

We did a day before and a day after our Alaska cruise this last summer in Seattle. We flew in early and wanted to catch a Mariners game, we stayed at the Courtyard Pioneer Square and were very happy with it. Close enough to walk down to the water and have a good lunch (took the kids to the Crab Pot), and then walked to Safeco Field and back after with no issues. Next morning walked with our luggage to the train station about 5/6 blocks. Was more nervous the morning at about 6:30 am going to the train station. A lot of people sleeping on the streets and a milling about waiting for what looked like a food distribution center to open about 2 blocks from the train station. Was kind of strange with my kids and trying to drag luggage through that.

When we returned we took the Bolt Bus from Vancouver and they dropped us off over by the Space Needle, and we stayed at the Hampton Inn about 3 blocks from the Space Needle park. Monarail stops at the Space Needle and will take you over to the Pikes Market area. I guess it would depend on what you were trying to do but both places we stayed at had their advantages.

Seattle has alot of homeless. I think like Boston attracts hoemless becuase of benefits they give also none you have legalized pot. I think I would haven taken a cab or ask the hotel to shuttle me.

I mostly stay at Courtyard PS but do use the Silver Cloud Stadium especially if I am going to a game.
But SC will shuttle you around the city if you ask.
Not that help with DCL but the shuttle people who are crusing out of Seattle.
I did the Alasak Cruise out Van. But on my last cruise I ask why they went back to Canada after 1 year in Seattle
I was told that since out Van they never had leave inland passage it was big saving on fuel.

So, Silver Cloud is close to the Amtrak station as well? Or, since we're getting into Seattle kinda early and have most of the day there, should I stay closer to Pikes Market or something and explore a bit? How far of a cab ride would it be from the station to that area, and which hotels there are good? Super helpful thread.

Yes, Silver Cloud to Amtrak is walkable, but with luggage it's a bit of a long walk. It's half a mile, aka the distance from Magic Kingdom Monorail to Space Mountain. Yes, I measured! ;) Hooray for google maps!

That being said, the Silver Cloud has a shuttle. They'll happily take you to the station if you give them some advanced notice. I just called to verify and they said they'll need a little warning so they can ensure you get there on time.

As far as a cab ride to Pike Market, it is only 1.5 miles, so the cab shouldn't be that spendy. However, I STRONGLY recommend using Uber over cabs in Seattle. Download the app, enter your payment info, they'll send a vehicle big enough for your party, they'll be to you almost immediately, the driver speaks english, you pay via the app, and get where you're going without taking the "scenic route." I've had some super sketchy experiences with cabbies here, so I would absolutely use Uber instead.

Chiming in from Seattle...I would also recommend the Silver Cloud by the Stadiums but book soon! There's also a nice Marriott on the Waterfront which puts you at the heart of everything. I definitely wouldn't stay by the airport unless price made all the difference.

So why is Pioneer Square not a good place for kids? I'm staying in Seattle the night I get in from the Coast Starlight, and wanted a hotel close to Amtrak also, so since the Courtyard Pioneer Square was suggested, I booked that. Then will take Amtrak the next moring to Vancouver, stay that night at at Pan Pacific and get on the ship the next day. On the way back, we'll need to stay in Seattle again, prior to boarding the Coast Starlight the other way. I don't mind taking a cab...is there a better area to stay that's not too far from the train station?
TheRichFam is on the money! I’ve never felt unsafe in the area (used to transfer buses in the early ams). It is like any big city just concentrated in that area. Very sad and hard to explain to young kids about the homeless especially the ones with mental health issues. I grew up in Florida and was taken aback when I first got here and I was 30! I also seem to remember quite the night life down there too? It’s been awhile though.:rotfl:

So would you suggest Uber for all cab type rides? Like from train station to hotel as well? Is Silver Cloud in as bad an area as Courtyard Pioneer Square?

So would you suggest Uber for all cab type rides? Like from train station to hotel as well? Is Silver Cloud in as bad an area as Courtyard Pioneer Square?

Yes. Uber for all cab-like transportation. They're great.

No, Silver Cloud is a bit south of there. You'll be fine either way. I'm sorry to have caused undue alarm. Both are fine, but if I personally had to choose, having lived here for a while, I'd pick SC. :)

Now let's get to the REAL important topic ... FOOD!

So many amazing and different cuisines in Seattle. If you go to pikes place market there you can get a meal at one place or have differnt members of your group pick different places, or have smaller things here and there. Tats deli is a great place it's kinda by pioneer square so if you do stay there it's within walking distance. We found that place when we were walking around before a Seahawks game. In Seattle center, there is a large food court and downstairs is the children's museum. Ivars's is down on the water front, right by the Seattle aquarium and the great wheel. There are so very many places to eat in Seattle, there are many hot dog vendors on the streets selling cream cheese hot dogs. I could go on a endless list of places and things to eat in Seattle. It's mainly just whatever kind of food you prefer.:thumbsup2

I settled in the Inn at the Market. Holy cow..hotels in Settle rank in price right up there with New York.

I settled in the Inn at the Market. Holy cow..hotels in Settle rank in price right up there with New York.

Only during the summer. Right now you could stay there for probably half of what you'll spend in the summer. Our tourism season (aka summer) is very short

We spent a few days in Seattle last summer after taking the Amtrak Empire Builder from Chicago. We stayed at the Maxwell Hotel. Beautiful and excellent service. It's walking distance to the Space Needle, EMP Museum and the light rail. It's located in the Queen Anne neighborhood with an amazing number of great dining options.

This. I've stayed several places downtown (my family lives in the Seattle area) and I will always stay in the Maxwell after my last trip. Short walk to the monorail and close to a ton of great dining (and an independent movie theatre) in Queen Anne. Plus the staff of the hotel was great.

Seattle has alot of homeless. I think like Boston attracts hoemless becuase of benefits they give also none you have legalized pot. I think I would haven taken a cab or ask the hotel to shuttle me.

There were a lot of homeless in Seattle long before there was legalized pot. They actually seemed more aggressive before Washington legalized it. The last few times I've visited family they've been nowhere near as aggressive.

Lots of good suggestions here. May I ask another somewhat related question?

We're going to be in Seattle for 3-nights in June before a RCL Alaska cruise. My wife and I are wine lovers and I understand that there are a lot of wineries within an hour of Seattle. One of our favorites is Chateau Ste. Michelle, in Woodinville. I also understand that there are several other wineries in that area.

So, with that background, does anybody have a suggestion for getting there and back? I'd rent a car but wouldn't want to risk driving back after doing a lot of tastings. Are there any tour companies that offer wine country tours? There will likely be 5 of us if that matters.

Lots of good suggestions here. May I ask another somewhat related question? We're going to be in Seattle for 3-nights in June before a RCL Alaska cruise. My wife and I are wine lovers and I understand that there are a lot of wineries within an hour of Seattle. One of our favorites is Chateau Ste. Michelle, in Woodinville. I also understand that there are several other wineries in that area. So, with that background, does anybody have a suggestion for getting there and back? I'd rent a car but wouldn't want to risk driving back after doing a lot of tastings. Are there any tour companies that offer wine country tours? There will likely be 5 of us if that matters.

Not sure about any tour companies like what you're mentioning, but there are tour companies that'll take you to all the pot places! :/

For the record, CSM is literally next door to the Red Hook Brewery (cool tour) and there's a craft whiskey distillery around the corner that does free tastings. Needless to say, a designated driver is a great idea! :)

For the record, CSM is literally next door to the Red Hook Brewery (cool tour) and there's a craft whiskey distillery around the corner that does free tastings. Needless to say, a designated driver is a great idea! :)

Hmm. May need to allot more time to this tour. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter