• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NEED HELP...spending more time at Epcot this vacation...what to do?!

julemm

Earning My Ears
We have two girls-age 9 and 5 and our last vacation we barely walked through Epcot so this trip we are planning on more time there. I have read about the candy lady and can't wait to see her :Pinkbounc Also have read about the picking the oyster-it will be DD age 9 birthday-she will be the big "10" and thought the pearl was a great idea for us to do. Do they still do the stamping of the passport? Is this something good for the kids to do and enjoy? Where do you find info of this? Any advise will be great-we are just now planning our trip for October and can't wait :banana:

Yes...they still do the passport stamping. Another great idea that you might try is have your girls do the masks at all of the countries. My 6 yo DD and 4 yo DS love this. You start out at one of the countries with a blank mask, and then at each country they stamp the stick that your mask is on with a country-specific stamp, and they also give you a paper symbol that they attach to the mask. Then, the kids are allowed to color their masks at each country stop.

Another suggestion I would have would be to do the Turtletalk with Crush at the Living Seas. My kids got a huge kick out of being able to talk to Crush and have Crush talk to them. Beware though, this is a popular show.

Another fantastic idea is to do Soarin'. If your kids aren't that scared of the sensation of flying it is a wonderful experience flying over areas of California.

Make certain that you stay for Illuminations as well, and catch a showing of the American Adventure in the America pavilion. It is a great history lesson of our country for the little ones.

They still do the passports. Look on your Epcot map and you'll see "K"s in all of the countries - that's the location of the Kidcot station where they have the masks, mask charms and stamps. At the first country you go to, they'll give you a mask at the Kidcot station. You can ask the person at the Kidcot station and they can explain the whole thing to you, but you really just go to each Kidcot station and stand in the line. At each station they'll stamp the handle on the mask and affix a little country-specific charm. If you have a passport or an autograph book, they'll also stamp that and usually they'll write a message (usually in a foreign language). They all have markers so the kids can color the masks - my kids tend to do it a little bit at a time. When you get your last stamp (meaning you've been to all the countries) you get a little poster or something (I forget now). My kids were 11, 8 and 5 last time we did it and they enjoyed doing it. I personally thought we wasted a lot of time standing in lines to do it, but it's all about the kids, right? In October the lines should be better than they were at Spring break, which was our last trip.

BTW, what is the candy lady and where do I find her?

Don't forget to check out all the shows around the place; acrobats at china, drums at Japan, theatre at Italy... take your time to enjoy this too....

Kidcot is always been popular with my 6 year old too. He loved it. (see above)

Illuminations is a must. Get the kids some of those light up round thingies for $3 and they have something to play while waiting at a good viewing spot....

I love EPCOT

enjoy your stay

Try to catch the entertainment at each country, this is our kids favorite. In Japan Miyuki, who makes beautiful animals out of candy right before your eyes is a must see. Get there 15-20minutes before her showtime (check the times guide the morning of your Epcot day or Steve Soares sight before you leave http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/) and if your children are in the front she will make them an "animal" to eat or take home. The acrobats in China, the band in Norway, and the band Offkilter in Canada are all must sees for us. As another poster mentioned, Turtle Talk with Crush is awesome! Enjoy your trip!

Julemm, you might want to consider staying at one of the Epcot resorts. The Boardwalk Inn, Yacht Club, Beach Club, Swan & Dolphin are all a short, beautifully scenic stroll into Epcot by way of the International Gateway, which is near the UK pavilion. It would make afternoon naps or changes of clothes very easy.

When my daughter was 8, we spent a lot of time in the World Showcase and she loved trading pins with the CMs. (They always let the kids choose which pins to trade). We almost always choose a CM who was manning one of the carts and wasn't busy. The CMs were college students from the country they were working in at the World Showcase. The pin trading really opened the door to some really fun conversations about the CMs' native countries. My daughter traded pins over and over and had a really great time. (It was cheap entertainment too since she started and ended w/ only four pins).

I just thought of 2 more ideas.
There was a thread a while back about kids learning how to say "Hello" in the various languages that are represented at the WS. They would have to learn to say it in,
Spanish, Norwegian, Chinese, German, Italian, Japanese, Arabic and French.
I think it would be very nice to learn to say "Thank You" also! :sunny:

The other idea is a stop at the newly renovated Club Cool, near the Innoventions Fountain. They can try free samples of Coca Cola products from around the world.
http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/ep/ice.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter