Need Help: Planning Schedules and FastPass for WDW November 8-14

Muppet Fan

Earning My Ears
I know we're behind on scheduling so that's why we're here getting opinions from you guys who are more seasoned experts.

We'll be at Disney Sunday November 8 (arriving late) through mid-day Saturday November 14. We have a 5-day park hopper for Monday-Friday. We haven't been since our wedding anniversary nearly 15 years ago and are now taking our two sons (11 and 6) for a surprise trip in three weeks. We are staying at Pop Century and plan on using Quick-Service dining throughout. We have our MagicBands.

We're big Muppet fans so will be taking them to MuppetVision 3-D of course, once or possibly twice while we're there. We have a Disney Visa Card, so we'd like to take advantage of the complimentary characters photos I believe on Tuesday at Epcot.

Other than than, we need help and advice from those of you more experienced. For a Monday-Friday trip to the parks on what days should we visit each park? The 11 year-old is about 50 inches and the 6 year-old is about 44 inches tall. Then, given our family description, what rides would you try to get FastPass reservations for? Are their shows or events that we don't want to miss? All the decisions are a little overwhelming and we'd like to get these reserved today if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for the help and walking us through the day-by-day planning process.

At DHS the kids would LOVE Toy Story Mania, hopefully it's not sold out. Not sure of what excitment they like but Tower of Terror is a favorite as well as Rockin Roller Coaster. If the time is right (starts November 6th), make sure you see the Osborne Family lights at DHS!!

At MK EVERYONE (including me and I'm 53) LOVES Peter Pan's Flight, Space Mountain, Splash Moutain, Big Thunder Mountain, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Mickey's Philharmagic is an excellent show, no need to FP+

At AK Expedition Everest, Dinosaur, Kilimanjaro Safari. My wife and I also like the Flights of Wonder and I think the kids would like it as well, it's a live animal (birds of prey and such) show and very informative. You must eat at The Flame Tree BBQ...EXCELLENT!

At EPCOT the kids would like Test Track, Soarin', Turtle Time with Crush, Mission Space (typically does not need FP+)

I apologize that I am not well versed on the rides for kids because I am older and don't usually go on the "kid" rides/shows, all of my kids are grown up. Eventually, we will bring our grand daughter when she's a bit older.

As far as timing of which park to go on what day....we usualy use undercover tourist app for crowd predictions. There are other apps out there but I have used this one for a few years and it seems pretty accurate.

I hope this helps and hopefully others will give you some advice as well. Good luck and have fun!

Those are roughly the same dates that we will be there - and we're also staying at Pop.

Something to keep in mind is that Magic Kingdom it's hosting a Christmas party several nights that week. We will be at MK during the day of the xmas party (consensus is that MK is much busier on days without a party due to its longer hours those days). There are a sites that provide estimated crowd calendars which are useful in deciding which park to go to on a given day.

As far as timing of which park to go on what day....we usualy use undercover tourist app for crowd predictions. There are other apps out there but I have used this one for a few years and it seems pretty accurate.

Thank you for the suggestion. We'll check out the Undercover Tourist app.

We will be at MK during the day of the xmas party (consensus is that MK is much busier on days without a party due to its longer hours those days).

Yes, we were wondering about Magic Kingdom especially. It looks like the ABC TV special is being taped November 10-13. So, is your opinion that the 10-13 would still be the best days to go to Magic Kingdom if riding rides is our main focus? By the way, what specific sites do you recommend for estimating crowds? This would be really helpful.

Also, I found the park hours listed here for the week of November 8. Can someone confirm if the additional hours are numerically listed or not on this schedule? For example, on Monday November 9, the hours listed for Magic Kingdom are 9:00-10:00. But since those hours are in orange does the park really open at 8:00 am that day for guests staying at the resort?

Thank you all as we try to finalize our plans.

We all really enjoy Festival of the Lion King at Animal Kingdom. It's a must do every trip.

Also, if you are wanting to see Wishes and Main Street Electric Parade, you can go on a night where there is a second parade and watch the parade then. The crowds are lower for the second parade and you can do rides during the first parade with less wait times.

Thank you for the suggestion. We'll check out the Undercover Tourist app.

Yes, we were wondering about Magic Kingdom especially. It looks like the ABC TV special is being taped November 10-13. So, is your opinion that the 10-13 would still be the best days to go to Magic Kingdom if riding rides is our main focus? By the way, what specific sites do you recommend for estimating crowds? This would be really helpful.

Also, I found the park hours listed here for the week of November 8. Can someone confirm if the additional hours are numerically listed or not on this schedule? For example, on Monday November 9, the hours listed for Magic Kingdom are 9:00-10:00. But since those hours are in orange does the park really open at 8:00 am that day for guests staying at the resort?

Thank you all as we try to finalize our plans.
Yes, you are reading that correctly, however it looks like the new November hours haven't been updated there yet. Might be worth checking other sites. I'm not sure if we're allowed to link to them

Last edited:
Yes, you are reading that correctly, however it looks like the new November hours haven't been updated there. Might be worth checking other sites. I'm not sure if we're allowed to link to them
Here's the one I'm using (along with their planning app). I was going to pm you but I don't think you've posted enough to be able to pm yet. Mods feel free to delete if not allowed

http://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/crowd-calendar

This is up to date with the new hours

Last edited:

For example, on Monday November 9, the hours listed for Magic Kingdom are 9:00-10:00. But since those hours are in orange does the park really open at 8:00 am that day for guests staying at the resort?

Undercover tourist has EMH listed for MK 8am-9am the the park is open until 10pm that day (11/9)

Can someone answer her question about Fast Passes? I am also curious...

I answered some of the FP questions in the second post. As mentioned, I am not well versed on children rides since my children are grown but the suggestions I gave are a solid start for FP in the parks.

For my 40" 4 year old boy we have plans as follows (based on no experience, but a lot of research):
Epcot: FP soarin, spaceship earth, and nemo. We only have an afternoon here, but you could do test track at rope drop. Definitely illuminations.
HS: toy story at rope drop, FP star tours, tower of terror, and toy story. Also will see beauty and the beast, lights motors, and little mermaid. (Notable omission rockin rollercoaster due to height.) Jump to mk for MSEP and fireworks.
MK: Peter pan at rope drop, FP big thunder mtn, splash mtn and 7dmt. (No space mtn due to height.) Jump to HS for fantasmic.
AK: safari at rope drop, FP lion king, river rapids, and dinosaur. Will also see nemo. (Remember Everest, we can't do because of height.)

So we are mostly buying into staying away from parks with extra hours and evening shows, talking an afternoon break, then hopping elsewhere for evening shows. We'll see how it plays out! Good luck.

AK: safari at rope drop, FP lion king, river rapids, and dinosaur. Will also see nemo. (Remember Everest, we can't do because of height.)

For AK I would definitely FP the safari. Dinosaur has short waits most of the morning and is also an easy 4th FP.

For my 40" 4 year old boy we have plans as follows (based on no experience, but a lot of research):
Epcot: FP soarin, spaceship earth, and nemo. We only have an afternoon here, but you could do test track at rope drop. Definitely illuminations.
HS: toy story at rope drop, FP star tours, tower of terror, and toy story. Also will see beauty and the beast, lights motors, and little mermaid. (Notable omission rockin rollercoaster due to height.) Jump to mk for MSEP and fireworks.
MK: Peter pan at rope drop, FP big thunder mtn, splash mtn and 7dmt. (No space mtn due to height.) Jump to HS for fantasmic.

So we are mostly buying into staying away from parks with extra hours and evening shows, talking an afternoon break, then hopping elsewhere for evening shows. We'll see how it plays out! Good luck.
If you haven't planned Turtle Talk with Crush into your Epcot day, you really should. Your 4yo boy will love it. It's a must do for the kids, but honestly, we have no kids and absolutely love it ourselves

Thanks for the advice. I didn't mention that our AK day will have EMH starting at 8 and we'll be there for 8:00 rope drop. Wanted to catch the animals early. Should I still FP It that early??

Thanks for the advice. I didn't mention that our AK day will have EMH starting at 8 and we'll be there for 8:00 rope drop. Wanted to catch the animals early. Should I still FP It that early??
if it's EMH, I would think if you head straight to the safari you should be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter