Need help picking reosrt

Disney1206

Earning My Ears
Hi all!
I have been torturing myself over the the decsion of which resort to stay at. Originally, my husband, 2 kids (2&4) and I were going to stay at the Polynesian in May (5/20-5/24). This will be our my first trip since 1985 (1976 for my DH)!
My mother just decided to come with us. Because of the extra person charge of 25, etc - we are now over budget.
To stay within our self imposed budget, we can move to at a moderate resort. I have a few questions

1. Which moderate is best for young children? I read that Port Orleans would be a good choice, but was wondering about CBR (only moderate available with ZHE rate).

2. How good is the tranportation at CBR or PO? We are going to have a car if that makes a difference. Should I just toss my budget and stay at the Poly :) Is the convenience of being on the monorail worth the extra an $750 even with a car?

3. How easy is it to drive the Theme parks & other hotels (for meals) from one of the moderates?

TIA!
Tracy

You should do what you are comfortable doing..

If you can swing it try the poly..great location :thumbsup2

We've stayed at all resorts except Animal Kingdom Lodge...

Moderates are good and have been very happy there.... I prefer CBR for a moderate..basically for us its because of theming...

Not sure what your dining schedules are like, but what if you cancelled the car rental? Would that make Poly more affordable?

Good luck w/ whatever you decide :woohoo:

The CBR is great for kids b/c the theming is great...the pool is fun and there is a lake with activities... Good Luck!

I think the room size difference and the monorail are worth the extra money. If you were planning on staying at the Polyn would it be possible to ask your mother to pay the extra $25 per night charge?

J

Just my 2 cents, but why not stay at the Poly as planned and ask Mom to at least chip in for the extra $ it's costing for her to stay???

Not sure if you'll be driving down or flying and renting a car. If you'll be renting a car then I would stay at Poly and ditch the rental.

How did a $25 charge amount to $750? Also from what I read I gathered there would be 5 of you in the room, meaning the only moderate resort you could stay at is POR Riverside, unless you are getting two rooms.

I saw that you are over ur budget yet you are considering payin 700+ for a rental car?!! skip the rental car and use ME the kids will be more excited about it and esp if you stay at Poly with the extra $ you will save from the car you can use the monorail, buses, and boats. We always get a rental car and decided that with the success of the ME that we will drop the rental car and we afforded to stay at WL which was 300+ a night. Just some advice to think about. I stayed at Poly when I was 13 and loved it and when we moved to POR i was sooo upset!

Thanks all for your responses! I really appreciate it!

We are diving, so I can't save with the rental car.
I would feel bad about asking my mom to chip in especially if I can just move to a different resort to stay in budget. We are planning on doing a MYWP with DDP and adding a 5th person adds up (since I have to buy the DDP and tickets for her)
I was just wondering if having a car at a moderate would be just as convenient as staying on a monorail resort.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my original post. The 750 is the difference between staying at the Poly and a moderate for a 4night package w/ DDP. Adding my mom to the Poly package would put me 500 over and staying at a moderate with the same plan w/ my mom would actually put me 250 under.
My 2 year old can be in a crib, I think.
Now, I'm thinking ditch the budget and just stay at Poly.

Thanks for clarifying. I guess my opinion is stay where you can afford. Staying at a moderate with a rental with not be as conveint as the Poly, but having to constantly worry about money on a vacation isn't a load of fun either.

POR is a very nice moderate. We've stayed there before and loved it.

We now stay at the Polynesian which we also love, but if the price was too high for us, we would definitely be happy to stay at POR.

Go with whichever one you can afford.

We had no problems with bus transportation when we stayed at POR. You're missing out on the convenience of the Monorail, true enough, but you'll still have a fabulous time no matter where you stay.

After seeing all of that and you not willing to ask your mother to chip in some money you may want to stay at a moderate b/c you will get there and you as well as your kids will want to buy 1 of everything in the gift shops and thats one of the most exciting parts about the trip is going to the gift shops and spending money on goods like that as well as if you go mini golfing or some other fun out of the parks activity.

After reading your other posts, I'd stay at a mod. This way you'll have extra souvenier money and still have a wonderful vacation. We've enjoyed all of our stays. Just being onsite makes ALL the difference in the world.

Have you considered WL? It's less than the Poly and you could use boat transportation to MK & the monorail. I'm not sure about the 5 people in a room though as I've never needed that.

Since you need a room that will sleep 5 only POR, AB section, will do that. But it will be in 2 double beds. All but WL and AKL of the deluxes will sleep 5 in 2 queen beds. The Poly is also on the monorail, great access to MK and Epcot.

The Polynesian is also one of the most expensive Deluxe resorts (the only resort that starts at a higher rate is the Grand Floridian). You probably could save a little money just by dropping down to a cheaper deluxe without going all the way down to a moderate. With 3 adults and 2 children it would definitely be worth it.

Go for the Poly! It's worth it, I think, to be so close to everything!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter